Devialet 200 - its a keeper

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Womaz, I've followed your trials and tribulations with great interest over the last few weeks.

Having originally discounted the D200 as being unnecessarily too expensive (I can easily afford one), I've recently taken a fresh interest in it, following my own frustrations with my selection of various amps and speakers. Your experience, as shared here, has only added to that interest. Now it's time to go and listen and think seriously about taking the plunge.

I'm pleased that you have had a successful outcome. D@mn you ! *biggrin*

Well I hope that it works out for you too*preved*

Let us know what you think

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Womaz, I've followed your trials and tribulations with great interest over the last few weeks.

Having originally discounted the D200 as being unnecessarily too expensive (I can easily afford one), I've recently taken a fresh interest in it, following my own frustrations with my selection of various amps and speakers. Your experience, as shared here, has only added to that interest. Now it's time to go and listen and think seriously about taking the plunge.

I'm pleased that you have had a successful outcome. D@mn you ! *biggrin*

I listened to lots of Amps before deciding on the Devialet 200. Nothing I heard offered the same combination of sound quality, versatility, aesthetics and upgradeability. To me it also sounds much more 'right', than other Amps (especially with SAM), - but let your ears decide!

I'm looking forward to reading how you get on.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also looking into the Devialet. For me the 'big but' is especially on the streaming front as that is my primary source. With the squeezebox I'm lucky, and I expect from the Devialet that I can do without an additional box. The lack of documentation to what the Dialog can actually do is rather frustrating, but I'm gonna wait out until it's clear what you can do.

Because what I don't want is having a PC/laptop/computer running just to stream (high res) audio to my amp. My Squeezebox does that *very well*.

ErikM

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Love my Dev 200.. I'm using an Auralic Aries as a source.. sounds killer! In fact I love my 200 so much it may morph into a 400 :)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
ErikM said:
Love my Dev 200.. I'm using an Auralic Aries as a source.. sounds killer! In fact I love my 200 so much it may morph into a 400 :)

Lucky man *biggrin*

I am currently experimenting with JRiver and laptop and amazed how good it sounds. I was going to look at something like the Aries, or another streamer, so will have to see how things go with JRiver. Its always been a route I wanted to avoid, but the app is excellent compared to the MF CLIC app I am using.

To anyone thinking about the Devialet.......just go and hear it. It all fell into place for me when I did that

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Womaz said:
ErikM said:

Lucky man *biggrin*

I am currently experimenting with JRiver and laptop and amazed how good it sounds. I was going to look at something like the Aries, or another streamer, so will have to see how things go with JRiver. Its always been a route I wanted to avoid, but the app is excellent compared to the MF CLIC app I am using.

To anyone thinking about the Devialet.......just go and hear it. It all fell into place for me when I did that

Have you considered trying Audirvana Plus with iTunes? - I think you can get a month's free trial. It's the best-sounding software solution I've come across for my Mac Mini. You can then control everything from your iPhone/iPad - There's a PC version too.

There's also a new version which doesn't require iTunes, but I haven't tried it.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Congrats! I'm sure you made the right choice. PMC and Devialet is such a wonderful match. And although very expensive, it's an all in one system with state of the art sound. I've not heard better regardless of price.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired said:
Congrats! I'm sure you made the right choice. PMC and Devialet is such a wonderful match. And although very expensive, it's an all in one system with state of the art sound. I've not heard better regardless of price.

Jaxwired, how does it compare with the NAD M2, which you've praised highly?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Jaxwired, how does it compare with the NAD M2, which you've praised highly?

It's clearly better than the M2. The M2 has an equally astonishingly low noise floor, but the Devialet has a more liquid 3 dimensional sound. The M2 is a superb amp indeed. I wouldn't trade my Devialet for one though. The M2 would be like a world class copy of a Monet, the Devialet is like owning the actual Monet.

SteveR750

Womaz said:
ErikM said:

Lucky man *biggrin*

J River is good isn't it? The file naming and artwork can sometimes be flaky but that's because the manufacturers of CDs are not consistent in this respect. Have you experimented with the room correction DSP? I'm assuming that you have the sample rate conversions and soundcard exclusivity all set up?

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Womaz said:
ErikM said:

Lucky man *biggrin*

J River is good isn't it? The file naming and artwork can sometimes be flaky but that's because the manufacturers of CDs are not consistent in this respect. Have you experimented with the room correction DSP? I'm assuming that you have the sample rate conversions and soundcard exclusivity all set up?

To be honest i am at the very early stages with JRiver so will not be utilising it to its full potential I would doubt. The Jremote app is outstanding in my opinion and i love it so far

Right now i am wondering why i would even consider a dedicated streamer with SQ this good. Its early days and I will see how it goes. I have been looking for like a guide to JRiver but been unable to find one.

The 200 is sublime and I am delighted that I discovered it, I just cant imagine it getting much better than this. The 26s area possibility later naybe but my room is not that large.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Womaz said:
ErikM said:

Lucky man *biggrin*

Have you considered trying Audirvana Plus with iTunes? - I think you can get a month's free trial. It's the best-sounding software solution I've come across for my Mac Mini. You can then control everything from your iPhone/iPad - There's a PC version too.

There's also a new version which doesn't require iTunes, but I haven't tried it.

Dont confuse me please *biggrin*

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
jaxwired said:

I am delighted with it, and I dont even consider it to be expensive any more. If you want you can have the 200 and speakers, with JRiver handling the streaming to the 200. Spend the cash where it matters most........but of course its early days for me

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Womaz said:
ErikM said:

Lucky man *biggrin*

i alreday have dDBPoweramp so i use this to rip my CDs as been excelelnt since I got oit.

SteveR750

Womaz said:
SteveR750 said:
Womaz said:
ErikM said:

Lucky man *biggrin*

To be honest i am at the very early stages with JRiver so will not be utilising it to its full potential I would doubt. The Jremote app is outstanding in my opinion and i love it so far

Right now i am wondering why i would even consider a dedicated streamer with SQ this good. Its early days and I will see how it goes. I have been looking for like a guide to JRiver but been unable to find one.

The 200 is sublime and I am delighted that I discovered it, I just cant imagine it getting much better than this. The 26s area possibility later naybe but my room is not that large.

Here you go. It's a great way of managing customer service. IME they could be slicker, less tech geeky in their support, but that's engineers for you :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
jaxwired said:

Having just sold my Sf Cremonas Auditor Ms, I'm now looking for some speakers to go with my D200. I'm demoing the Fact 8s next week. (I've heard them with a D200 before, but not with SAM.) Also demoing the Vivid V1.5s.

The thing is, the list of SAM-ready speakers is just so mouthwatering ...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
jaxwired said:

Having just sold my Sf Cremonas Auditor Ms, I'm now looking for some speakers to go with my D200. I'm demoing the Fact 8s next week. (I've heard them with a D200 before, but not with SAM.) Also demoing the Vivid V1.5s.

The thing is, the list of SAM-ready speakers is just so mouthwatering ...

It's important not to jump to conclusions here, Matt! IMHO you shouldn't take a decision until you heard every SAM-ready speaker with your Dev (and report back on your findings, that goes without saying...)*mail1*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts