Denon with B&W 684 speakers?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I was always a Denon fan. I have B&W 684 speakers and my music is most rock and pop. I'm looking at the new Denon 1510 amp. and CDP or the Denon 710 amp and CDP.Will this be a good match and is the 710 enough for the B&W 684 or better be the 1510?

A

Anonymous

Evlampi:At this price range - Denon 1510 - I would look elsewhere - Naim, Creek, Curys etc ...

Why? Denon is a respectable hifi brand and their gear has beautiful build quality and usually sounds the business. I auditioned the 'old' PMA-700AE at length and that's a very good amp. The 710 gets even better reviews in many European mags. The same is true for the 1510: rave review in German Audio for example.

I'm not saying anyone should buy anyof these blind of course, but since the OP stated he's a Denon fan, I'd say give 'm a good long audition with the 684's and see for yourself.

Jack

EDIT: The 684 have good sensitivity, so the 710 should drive them fine. The only way to find out if the 1510 is that much better is to try both.

A

Anonymous

peterpan:What do you think will be better with the B&W 684; the Denon 710 or Marantz 6003?

I couldn't possibly tell you, because I heard neither amp with the B&W's. As the amps have roughly the same specs I think it's a matter of personal taste above all else. Find a dealer and give both a try...

Jack

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
B&W speakers need pretty powerful amps to make them sing. I noiticed this when auditioning for an amp for my B&W 685's. I ended up buying the Naim 5i. Both the Denon and the Marantz amps you propose will fall short of driving these speakers convincingly imo. Audition some more powerful amps and decide for you if they are worth it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jack White:

Evlampi:At this price range - Denon 1510 - I would look elsewhere - Naim, Creek, Curys etc ...

Why? Denon is a respectable hifi brand and their gear has beautiful build quality and usually sounds the business. I auditioned the 'old' PMA-700AE at length and that's a very good amp. The 710 gets even better reviews in many European mags. The same is true for the 1510: rave review in German Audio for example.

I'm not saying anyone should buy anyof these blind of course, but since the OP stated he's a Denon fan, I'd say give 'm a good long audition with the 684's and see for yourself.

Jack

EDIT: The 684 have good sensitivity, so the 710 should drive them fine. The only way to find out if the 1510 is that much better is to try both.

Couldn't agree more. This is where hifi snobbery comes into it. - I use Denon myself and whilst I am the first one to admit that it is not the best amplifier I have ever used it never made me feel wanting and managed to 'drive' every speaker I've used with it without much problems within reason. Whether someone likes the Denon sound is another question though it may be worth pointing out that this differs between models.

As for some of the other suggestions, a Naim Nait 5i has limited current too and will run out of puff at some stage just as any amp with a comparable power rating will.

T

the record spot

I'd suggest that the lower powered amps you mention might do a job, but I'd go for a higher rated amplifier along the lines of the 1510, which has just picked up a cracking review in this month's Hi Fi Choice, along with the partnering CDP. Denon are a fine brand, well worth trying them out and if the partnership's a good one, go forth and enjoy!

If I had a choice to make, I'd try out the 1510 amp with the 710 CDP, if it works give it a whirl.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The dealer means Denon sounds too dark with the B&W 684. Het says Marantz or Naim will be better. But Naim is very expensive and not too much watt.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Evlampi:Naim, Creek, Curys etc ...

emotion-21.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
peterpan:I'm now thinking on Rotel RA-1520 with Marantz CD 6003.

... I'm now thinking you should, perhaps, listen to some before getting to bogged down in opinions.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

... I'm now thinking you should, perhaps, listen to some before getting to bogged down in opinions.

emotion-21.gif
+1

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Jack White:drummerman:

emotion-21.gif
+1

I second that or is that 3rd that
emotion-21.gif
Go and start listening you have your list narrowed down some what.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts