Denon vs Onkyo - round two!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
In case you haven't spotted it yet, we've written an exclusive review of Denon's new DM37DAB microsystem - and it's here.

The big news is, it's better than Onkyo's outgoing, double Award-winning CS515DAB. Will it be better than the brand-new Onkyo CS525DAB? That we intend to find out in a head-to-head test for our next issue, as the battle to be named best £300 (ish) microsystem continues.....

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
hi, just wondered if ''UK-tuned electronics'' means that the unit was tuned in the UK or tuned elsewhere for the UK and if so does that mean us in the UK like different flavor of music compared to other countries??

A

Anonymous

I've heard this type of thing before and wondered about it.

I guess a test between a Japanese and Uk version would tell us..........

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Well, Denon says:

"The D-M37DAB's CD Receiver and Speakers have been meticulously matched and sound-tuned in the UK through collaboration between sound designers and DENON engineers."

All we will say, is we like what we hear!

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Joe Cox:
Well, Denon says:

"The D-M37DAB's CD Receiver and Speakers have been meticulously matched and sound-tuned in the UK through collaboration between sound designers and DENON engineers."

All we will say, is we like what we hear!

sound designer .... cool job, or is that like sound as in good, a la mancunian??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think Denon, in common with other audio companies, work closely with some leading European consultants and designers with a very good knowledge of the UK market and UK listeners' tastes.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I think Denon, in common with other audio companies, work closely with some leading European consultants and designers with a very good knowledge of the UK market and UK listeners' tastes.

i think its great that the UK market can effect these global companies enough to have them tune thier kit for our market.. :)

A

Anonymous

According to wikipedia: Sound Design can also be defined as: "The manipulation of audio elements to achieve a desired effect."

Briitish HiFi has a very good reputation (still) worldwide, so to say something is sound-tuned in the UK adds a bit of cachet to the product. I'm sure it is a very good product, by the way, but it's still marketing.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:According to wikipedia: Sound Design can also be defined as: "The manipulation of audio elements to achieve a desired effect."
Briitish HiFi has a very good reputation (still) worldwide, so to say something is sound-tuned in the UK adds a bit of cachet to the product. I'm sure it is a very good product, by the way, but it's still marketing.

A very cynical misreading of that definition from the ever-reliable Wikipedia.

So what should companies like Denon do? Carry out the tuning and then not mention it?

Of course it's marketing - that's how people sell things.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, I'm sure that every HiFi company tunes their product. The point is that mentioning a specific, such as sound-tuned in the UK, is purely marketing. I'm pretty sure that Primare is sound-tuned in Denmark, Sonus Faber in Italy etc., but they don't choose to mention it.

There is nothing cynical or misreading about that definition, by the way. I was just answering a question from a previous post. In fact, if you read my post carefully, you'll see I make no reference to that definition at all. If there is a misreading, then it isn't mine. I do agree with you about wikipedia, by the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts