Denon streamer and Rega DAc or new CD player?

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I suppose alot of people are facing this dilemma. Upgrade an ageing CD player with a shiny new one or keep as a transport and add a DAC. I am thinking of covering a few bases due to limited funds. My idea is the Denon DNP 720 which includes FM, internet radio and airplay streaming (all for 199 pound!) Add a Rega DAC (hopfeully ex dem or from an auction site) and use my Cd player as a transport. My nagging doubt is that a mid range CD player with a decent DAC may offer higher sound quality. Any advice to sort out my muddled thoughts would be gratefully received!
Best wishes
Paul

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I would think a decent CD player would outclass the Denon/DAC, but it depends what you want. Personally I'm a big fan of internet radio so I'll always want a streamer, but still get the best sound from CD (mind you, look at my profile). Would be worth auditioning the Rega Brio-R vs the DAC.

By the way, what do you think of the Dynaudio X12? I was thinking of getting a pair for another system!

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My own thoughts are that long term CDs are a dying format, and are unlikely to have the continued enthusiast appeal of vinyl. Already some makers (Linn) have stopped making CD players entirely, having switched to streamers (but of course in Linn's case keeping up production of turntables).

So that for me frames the decisions here. My current non-oversampling CD player was ex-dem and a bargain, and for me gives a great sound that in many ways is similar to vinyl, so for now my CD collection is staying put. However, I also wanted a streamer. If you really want one that also provides a decent mid-priced DAC then the Cambridge Audio SM 6 is the obvious choice, as it also streams very high quality FLAC. However this is a rapidly developing market and, like CD players initially, prices will almost certainly continue to fall as at the same time quality improves. So for me the SM 6 wasn't a good price (even at the current £600) as I didn't really need a DAC (although would have been happy to compare CDs played through it against the sound from my Consonance). So I figured look for a low priced stop-gap streamer with the intention of cheaper but better technology and sound a few years down the line.

And on that basis I got the Denon as no other player comes close at the moment for price. Yes, it doesn't haver all the features of the SM 6, but it does well enough and the radio sideof things is great. In terms of sound quality it also isn't disgraced by my other two higher priced vinyl and CD sources, which I guess goes to show how narrow things are these days when dealing with digital media.

So yes, I would recommend it (even cheaper from Sevenoaks right now), but not necessarily if you really intend to keep your CD collection and your existing player is showing its age, because then the DAC facility from higher spec'd media players would come into play for you.

matthewpiano

CD still has some life left in it for a good while yet. Linn is one relatively small company and there are plenty of far bigger manufacturers still fully supporting Compact Disc. Ultimately, the format's future is limited, but I doubt it will ever disappear completely.

That said, if your current CD player is still in good working order, it might be sensible to consider expanding the functionality of your system by adding either a good DAC or a streamer/media player. The biggest drawback of most streamers and media players at present is the lack of support for gapless playback. The Denon doesn't support gapless, and neither does the Marantz NA7004. If this doesn't bother you fine, but for me it is a deal breaker as I listen to lots of music where tracks run straight into each other and gaps here just aren't acceptable to me.

In your position I would buy a DAC and I'd probably go for the Arcam rDAC or the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. I would also consider the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 which does support gapless playback. Worth an audition.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
My own thoughts are that long term CDs are a dying format, and are unlikely to have the continued enthusiast appeal of vinyl. Already some makers (Linn) have stopped making CD players entirely, having switched to streamers (but of course in Linn's case keeping up production of turntables).

So that for me frames the decisions here. My current non-oversampling CD player was ex-dem and a bargain, and for me gives a great sound that in many ways is similar to vinyl, so for now my CD collection is staying put. However, I also wanted a streamer. If you really want one that also provides a decent mid-priced DAC then the Cambridge Audio SM 6 is the obvious choice, as it also streams very high quality FLAC. However this is a rapidly developing market and, like CD players initially, prices will almost certainly continue to fall as at the same time quality improves. So for me the SM 6 wasn't a good price (even at the current £600) as I didn't really need a DAC (although would have been happy to compare CDs played through it against the sound from my Consonance). So I figured look for a low priced stop-gap streamer with the intention of cheaper but better technology and sound a few years down the line.

And on that basis I got the Denon as no other player comes close at the moment for price. Yes, it doesn't haver all the features of the SM 6, but it does well enough and the radio sideof things is great. In terms of sound quality it also isn't disgraced by my other two higher priced vinyl and CD sources, which I guess goes to show how narrow things are these days when dealing with digital media.

So yes, I would recommend it (even cheaper from Sevenoaks right now), but not necessarily if you really intend to keep your CD collection and your existing player is showing its age, because then the DAC facility from higher spec'd media players would come into play for you.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. The Denon is incredible value. What is the FM quality like? I see you also have the Sugden Amp I would be interested to hhear hat you think oof this because I am considering this eventually.

Best wishes

Paul

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I've already made my choice couple of years ago and got rid of CD player completely in favor of computer based playback. So for me the Denon streamer is a better option and you probably won't need a separate DAC as Denon's sound quality may be sufficient for you. However if you keen on keeping and expanding your CD collection and not feel comfortable getting into computer audio, then you can always find a nice CD player, either used or new. Adding a DAC to your existing player is also an option, but I consider it in case you also have other digital sources that you want to connect to your system.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
I would think a decent CD player would outclass the Denon/DAC, but it depends what you want. Personally I'm a big fan of internet radio so I'll always want a streamer, but still get the best sound from CD (mind you, look at my profile). Would be worth auditioning the Rega Brio-R vs the DAC.

By the way, what do you think of the Dynaudio X12? I was thinking of getting a pair for another system!

Thanks for the advice. I gave my early thoughts on the x12 in this thread.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/dynaudio-excite-x12-early-thoughts

Paul

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've not used the FM up to now Paul, there is that much available via internet radio (and much of it good quality high bit rate streams) that I found I didn't need to (plus the internet radio stations are easy to find by genre, country or name via the Denon remote). Still listen to FM in the bedroom, and DAB in the kitchen, but internet radio is great with the hifi set-up. Another thread the other day that discussed the Denon had someone saying that they use the FM with the cheap supplied arial wire and it sounds good, and as Denon always had a very good reputation for FM tuners that wouldn't surprise me at all. I should add that I ran a LAN cable into mine for the best internet streaming so haven't used its WiFi function.

In terms of the Mystro it is very good indeed, very full rich 'sugden sound' (and unlike lower powered valve amps it goes loud and drives speakers relatively easily). And while it comes with a volume remote there are no other bells or whistles, so it wouldn't suit someone who needed a headphone socket for example (unless they had a direct one on their CD player), but one of the reasons I got mine was because of the phono stage (which again is very good)

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your detiled response. I would need a good phono stage and I am looking for a sound that is not too bright ( a problem I do have with my current electronics) My Dynaudios are also 4 ohm so the Sugden may drive them them well.

In terms of the Denon, I have a roof mounted antenna and I would use a wired ethernet via a homeplug. My Roksan tuner is currently broken and I have an estimate of 55 pound to repair. I will probably not bother with the repair and go for the Denon which offers alot more flexibility.

Best wishes and thanks again for your help

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts