Question Denon pma-1600ne

Tech1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi there. I've been thinking of getting one of these for some time but as in previous posts I can't get a demo. My speaker's are monitor audio silver 200s which are on the bright side so does anyone know if it would be a good match. I ask this as I have seen the amp and matching sacs player for £1650!! I have heard the Cambridge cax81 and marantz 8006 both seem forward in the treble so maybe not the best match.

Hi there. I've been thinking of getting one of these for some time but as in previous posts I can't get a demo. My speaker's are monitor audio silver 200s which are on the bright side so does anyone know if it would be a good match. I ask this as I have seen the amp and matching sacs player for £1650!! I have heard the Cambridge cax81 and marantz 8006 both seem forward in the treble so maybe not the best match.
Not sure about the combination with those particular speakers but they are both excellent devices and usually retail around £1900 for the pair so good value. I would not consider the Denon amp to be 'bright', perhaps a little tweaking of your speakers positioning might help here.

D

Deleted member 108165

To my ears the Monitor Audio speakers are the culprits for the forward treble. I've had Marantz with MA before and they played well together but can be a little bright. Many recommend Arcam to be the best partner for MA.

Tech1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. From what I have read I think the top end isn't to forward but without a demo it's hard to take the plunge, mind you at that price.

matthewpiano

It's still a lot of money to spend without listening first, particularly as you've already found Marantz to be a little on the bright side. Marantz kit is pretty middle of the road tonally, so given this and not knowing how things might sound with your speakers, it's hard to make such a big decision with confidence.

I'd agree with @DougK that Arcam is a very good direction to look in for MA speakers.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like you have four options:
1. Stick with what you currently have
2. Wait until you can audition
3. Bite the bullet and go ahead with the purchase, whilst being prepared to change the speakers if necessary
4. Look at a different amp

My blind purchases have all worked out well for me in the past so you never know your luck :) However, I have found that with each change of amp I have also eventually changed the speakers too... amps have all been Marantz.

Tech1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
To my ears the Monitor Audio speakers are the culprits for the forward treble. I've had Marantz with MA before and they played well together but can be a little bright. Many recommend Arcam to be the best partner for MA.
Looks like you have four options:
1. Stick with what you currently have
2. Wait until you can audition
3. Bite the bullet and go ahead with the purchase, whilst being prepared to change the speakers if necessary
4. Look at a different amp

My blind purchases have all worked out well for me in the past so you never know your luck :) However, I have found that with each change of amp I have also eventually changed the speakers too... amps have all been Marantz.

matthewpiano

Yes I think ill have to wait, thanks for all your replies. My current amp is a Technics A900 mk2 which I have had since 1995 so a few more months aren't going to hurt.

You have a good amplifier there. If you want to improve on it substantially but retain a similar presentation I would suggest auditioning Arcam (SA20) and Rega (Elex-R) when the time is right.

Tech1

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site
I had a Arcam alpha9 years ago but allways found it to be a little slow .The new ones are this class G amplification so this may change their sound a little so worth s try. I still use a Alpha 7se cd player which is still going strong after all these years so hope the new stuff is as reliable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts