Denon M37 DAB or Arcam solo mini ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I am thinking of getting one of the above. I guess the Arcam will be better, but how much better ?

Also does anyone know if the if the above will drive My Mordant Short 914 floorstanders ?

At the moment I have a LINN CLASSIK MUSIC which is very good but I like the idea of DAB and playing MP3's.

Anyway hope someone can give me some advice and a big HELLO to you all !

Hexar

A

Anonymous

I agree with John that neither will match/improve on your Classik. If you just want one small device that does it all, I would wait till the current changes in hifi are settled. For example, do you really want DAB or would Internet Radio/Freesat/Freeview/SKY radio be better? Do you want a box with digital inputs? Few currently offer them. Will Arcam build Internet Radio/music streaming directly into an upgraded Solo Mini? I certainly hope so!

In the mean time, if you can't wait, add a Squeezebox Duet or a simple dock to the Linn and if you want better sound then add a DAC as well. But read the "Totally Confused Now" post before you do anything. This may help you decide. When you say you want to play MP3 files you may decide after reading the post that these will not provide the level of quality you are used to via the Classik. At the very least you may want to use FLAC.

Lastly, if I recall correctly, the Linn Classik is 75watts whereas I think the Arcam is something like 20. So it depends on room size etc. as to how well the Solo could cope.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I would keep the classik too. Just add a good dock, some are even wireless e.g. marantz is301.

I have not thought of DAB. If it is very important, need to research more.

John Duncan

Yeah, I think the key is which stations you want to listen to on DAB, and whether they're available on the internet (or feasibly freeview), because that's the route I'd go for preference.

A

Anonymous

AVI ADM9.1 with the following sources:

Digital input 1 - Sky box or Freeview, which is higher bitrate than DAB.

Digital input 2 - Computer or streamer for digital files.

Analogue input is spare for TV or TT

A

Anonymous

Hi All

Thanks for your quick feedback and good advice.

What do you thik of my MORDANT SHORT 914 FLOORSTANDERS ? Some people frown because I put them with a LINN CLASSIK ie. they are not good enough ! They sound OK to me but I have not used anything else. Am I missing out ?

Hexar

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts