Denon DM39 with headphones

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Denon DM39 users or others, what do you think of the headphone output sound quality? I'm thinking of of pairing it with some Beyerdynamic heahphones, for bedroom listening.

A

Anonymous

I've got the DM38DAB and the output is average. There's plenty of outputs for a decent headphone amplifier.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Do you actually have the 39, or are you considering buying it depending upon it’s headphone performance?

The headphone performance of the DM37 wasn’t it’s greatest attribute to my ears, but two models down the line things may have moved on. Now there are a couple of variables involved here, but I’m hoping to go and listen to the new 39 at the end of next week with a view to purchase depending upon how I feel about a particular issue with the previous two models. If I do buy it then I will then gladly give you an opinion on how I think it performs.

Alternatively, if you’re not a million miles from a RS then go and have a listen for yourself. I would assume that they would have the 39 on demo and they do demo headphones (at least the one in Birmingham does), although RS don’t stock Beyer.

EDIT:

I’ve just noticed you’ve asked on the 39 review how it’s headphone performance might compare with the CD6004 which is going to be an unfair comparison.

It will be a lot "better" with high impedance cans for no other reason that it’s got the grunt to drive them properly, but a dedicated £300 CDP is going to bring up a whole lot more detail and instrument seperation than the Denon can deliver. Enjoy the Denon for what it is – I loved mine!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone.

No, I've not bought a Denon Dm39 yet. So far I just own some headphones and want a source and headphone amp ideally in one package. So for similar money I can get a CD player with headphone output or a micro-system like the Denon with headphone output. At least with the Denon I can listen to radio as well as CD. I'm not going to be using speakers. Thanks again.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its a better idea to buy and ipod? Opinions? The only thing is, I'd rather play music from CD's and not using itunes or Apple Macs. My Beyerdynamic's are 80 Ohms, so most headphone amps should run these, true?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Maybe its a better idea to buy and ipod? Opinions? The only thing is, I'd rather play music from CD's and not using itunes or Apple Macs. My Beyerdynamic's are 80 Ohms, so most headphone amps should run these, true?
An iPod will drive the 80 ohm Beyers but not very well, you would need an external amp for it to hear them at their best. And yes any headphone amp will run the Beyers.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
If you want CD as your source for a headphone set-up then get a deicated CDP, not the Denon.

That’s exactly what I did with the CD6003 and there’s just no comparison. The headphone jack on the Marantz was very good indeed for easy to drive phones such as my Grado’s but pretty useless when it comes to the K’s. The 6004 has an improved headphone outand although I’ve not actually heard it, I would be rather surprised if it would make up the difference so again you’d be looking at separate amplification I would suspect for the Beyer’s.

I would recommend that you re-post this in the “Headphones” section if you’re looking down the Apple route. Dalethorn is the man for Apple advice but I’m not too sure what his experience is of Beyer full-size cans (Quadpatch will probably help you out there).

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks sizzers, I'll probably be looking at getting a CDP and if the sound is not good enough I'll get a dedicated headphone amplifier. Are there are budget ones with digital volume controls?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Again, I would post in “Headphones” for advice and pointers to match an amp to your cans

I only have experience of two headphone amps. The Pro-Ject Head Box II which I think is pretty bad (did nasty things to the bass), and the Graham Slee Novo which I find very good indeed (not so sure I would have paid the full £250 for it, though).

makem49

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
HI All

My first time on here,so i hope i'm in the right place to ask,should the speakers stay on, when headphones are plugged into my denon DM39 DAB mini HIFI. Thanks in anticipation.

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
The headphone output is absolutely fine on the Denon. I run a pair of Sennheiser HD600's and Grado 60's. Both sound lively and detailed.

To put things into context, I have a Cryrus set up, but the DAC XP has died so I bought the Denon as a quick fix. Needelss to say I am more than happy with the Denon sound on all fronts. With the Cyrus I ran a Creek headphone amp and a Graham Slee. Both were okay but didn't set the world on fire. The key is to match your headphones properly, as you would speakers.

To me the ipod sound is a little flat. I run mine through an Onkyo ND-S1 (discontinued) connected to the Denon by toslink to beef it up. Much better all round, especially on Spotify. The best headphones I have found for the iPod are the Sennheiser PX100's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts