Denon dm39 cd/receiver

bobrobert

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used a Denon dm39 for stereo with two subwoofers? I have a Wharefdale 150 subwoofer and was thinking of buying another to boost the bass. On the one I have I use Accoustic 2020! speakers with the crossover at it's highest.and the other controls/settings set properly but I am not happy with the bass. I use the subwoofer on my Yamaha 5.1 receiver which has 5 different speakers and I am happy with the bass using the TV which would indicate to me that the subwoofer set up is fine but not for the stereo. The Denon has only one subwoofer out put so would I have to link the two subwoofers together rather than two leads from the Denon? TIA

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

I'd suggest you stop fiddling and get yourself a proper separates set up.

Depending on budget start with a decent amp like the Yamaha a501 with Dali Zensor 3's.

Or if you are going with subs then consider an AV amp with the appropriate outputs.

Trying to get more bass from a Denon 39 doesn't really make sense when considering it's spec.

Bite the bullet.... :-D

Southsea

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I own a DM39 but I would have some sympathy with what Thompsonuxb has said. There is a limit to what you can get out of a relatively modest unit like this. I have tried mine with a few different pairs of standmounted speakers. I currently listen to it through a pair of Q Acoustics 2010s but I did not hear a significant difference when it was connected to others, including my old Mission 760s, which sound much fuller in other contexts.

Of course it's up to you but maybe even something like the Marantz 610 (which has reduced in price considerably) may provide a more tangible upgrade.

Anyway - enjoy mulling over the possbilities!

bobrobert

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with the speakers at the price range just that I feel the bass is lacking. It might not in reality be lacking but my expectations might be too high. I have taken a chance and ordered another subwoofer of the same type. The evidence on the internet suggests that an improvement can be had from two rather than one.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bobrobert said:
Are you willing to fund it? With what I have I think an improvement is possible but I do realise it is subjective.*wink*

Consider the price of the sub....

We have the dab38 which has outputs so it can be used as a source.

Not sure if the 39 is the same. So, with discounts the older 85wpc Yamaha AS500 could be yours.
It'll be an improvement on the 30wpc denon.

Anyway do let us know how you get on with the 2nd sub.

bobrobert

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Basically the only difference between the dm38 & dm39 is that the dm39 has an optical in. There are other tweeks that may not be apparent.

bobrobert

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
bobrobert said:
Are you willing to fund it? With what I have I think an improvement is possible but I do realise it is subjective.*wink*

Not sure if the 39 is the same. So, with discounts the older 85wpc Yamaha AS500 could be yours. It'll be an improvement on the 30wpc denon.

Today I received another Wharefdale 150 and set it up as the manufacturer advised. That is the two in front of the seated position and next to the speakers. I know that they can go into corners, opposite walls and wherever they might sound better but for practical purposes - room restrictions - I tried them as advised. The bass doesn't sound louder- it isn't supposed to - but on the TV 5.1 - now 5.2 - and playing music on a seperate stereo system with another two speakers then the bass sounds less boomy and a bit tighter. More to my liking. Happy so far!

bobrobert

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
bobrobert said:

Not sure if the 39 is the same. So, with discounts the older 85wpc Yamaha AS500 could be yours. It'll be an improvement on the 30wpc denon.

I'm fairly new to audio - still learning. Are you saying I could connect the dm39 to a decent amplifier to further boost the quality? One thing I can't understand is the dm39 doesn't allow you to set the speakers large or small so does it automatically detect if the speakers are large or small and set them accordingly?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bobrobert said:
Thompsonuxb said:
bobrobert said:

I'm fairly new to audio - still learning. Are you saying I could connect the dm39 to a decent amplifier to further boost the quality? One thing I can't understand is the dm39 doesn't allow you to set the speakers large or small so does it automatically detect if the speakers are large or small and set them accordingly?

Just googled the DM39 it is not the same as the DM38.

It does not have an AUX out - so in the case of the DM39 you cannot connect it to an amps AUX in.

But you could have if you had the DM38.

Your speakers would only need to be connected to the amp.

You can Google image both - check around the back of yours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts