Denon dm38DAB Speaker suggestions

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm new here and need advice! I bought an M38DAB with a pair of denon sc-f107 speakers a year ago, I actually love the clarity but feel they are missing on the bass, I use flat settings at moderate volumes. Are there any stand mount / bookshelf speakers around the £200 area that are weighted a bit more towards the bass end. I was looking at the wharfedale diamond 9.1's and the dali zensor 1's. So the price rages ive been looking at are 100 to 200 but could do with some advice from you lot!
They will be in my living room which is about 4-5 meters square at ear height when sat on sofa, i've tried moving them away from the wall with no luck.
Thanks for any response
Craig

matthewpiano

If it is bass weight you are after forget the Zensor 1s. Nice speakers but quite light on the bass front. I'd probably suggest trying Diamond 10.1s if you can still get hold of a pair. These have more weight than the 9.1s or the Zensors. Also worth having a listen to the Mission MX1 and MX2.

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your very speedy response! I'll take a look at those, I like the idea of having Diamonds since they are a company established close to where I live - a bit of northern pride I guess!

Cheers

edit - the price can creep above the 200 note mark if the speakers have good bang for buck

Any other suggestions welcome by the way :p

gasolin

I have Dali zensor 1 for a Denon DRA-F109 (twice as much power as the dm38dab)with Audioquest FLX SLiP 14/4 and they sound good.

I would surgest speakers with a sensitivite of 89-90db and you will be fine

What about a small subwoofer?

Have you used the Denon DBS tone setting? (is on my denon and are made for denon speakers)

Many people like the Monitor Audio BX2 they costs about 250 mabye, i am shure you can get it for 200 used or mabye new with a discount

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I was looking into getting a sw-150 since it has a great review here and many have paired it with the denon.

I tried the eq settings but i find the quality to lack a bit - this could be the f107's not reproducing as natural as i'd like. Maybe the Dali zensors with tweaked eq might sound much better? I'll have to take a trip up to sevenoaks to give the mx-2s a whirl. I thought I could get a £199 pair of Boston A26's since they are bassy apparently but they have gone back up to £230 are they worth a listen? Also after looking at the Wharfedale 10.1's i looked at the 121's and other than build quality they got rave reviews. All your suggestions are very helpful and give e an idea of what to look for, thanks again much appreciated!

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I changed my D-m39 stock speaker to Wharfedale Diamond 121. It has some improvement with stronger bass and overall sound quality.

gasolin

In the review on whathifi thay say: Switch to the excellent (but pricier) Q Acoustics 2020i speakers (£160) and, while the bass tightens a fraction and there’s a little more scale, there’s not much in it.

So you might need something better then the Q Acoustics 2020I over the stock denon speakers

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow the 2020i's got a storming review! Also noticed they are £20 dearer than when reviewed! Have any of you had any experience with these? Not keen on their looks to be honest but the price is very appealing! I have some good suggestions to try now, i like the idea of the front firing ported bx2's maybe thats my problem with my speakers being close to the wall, just pulled them away a good foot and listened carefully, there is a big improvement in body of the sound but still lacking punch

You guys here are great by the way, have always searched these forums for info before i buy, hence im very happy with the Denons quality I just cant help wanting that bit more from it lol

Magnus, what is the finish quality like on the 121's? Just been reading they are a bit lacking in that department.

Cheers again

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi CraigShaw,

as per WHF review, finishing is a little let down but still acceptable. Mine is some excess glue on edges. only noticeable upon closer look. I do hope there will be improvement in finishing for subsequent batches.

But sound is really good especially it produces more bass than Denon stock speakers. You should also change the speaker cable for further sound improvement if u are using the stock cable that came with it.

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that, i bought some cable from maplins since the speakers didnt come with any, im not sure on the guage to be honest, think its more than 2.5mm2 but it is ofc. What would you recommend since im splashing out lol, my furthest speaker run isnt more than 5m, could i just double up on what i have?

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm using AudioQuest FLX/SLiP 14/4. Have not compare with other cables. But at that price and award winning cable i have nothing much to lose.

gasolin

CraigShaw said:
Thanks for that, i bought some cable from maplins since the speakers didnt come with any, im not sure on the guage to be honest, think its more than 2.5mm2 but it is ofc. What would you recommend since im splashing out lol, my furthest speaker run isnt more than 5m, could i just double up on what i have?

Dali Zensor 1 & AudioQuest FLX/SLiP 14/4

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CraigShaw said:

Well you could go back to Maplins and get some Van Damme Blue which is on offer for about £3.25pm.

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Well thanks everybody for your help, i went to richer sounds in middlesbrough - its nice n close to where im working at the moment. I tested out the dali zensor 1, monitor bx1 and bx2. I think each of them sound excellent, the dalis had real clarity, the bx1s sounded absolutely fantastic and i didnt realise how small these speakers were, the bx1s had a really nice punchy sound which i prefered to the dalis. The bx2s were amazing, really full bodied sound and although they didnt have as much of the twinkle that the dalis had, they had some real clout! So BX2s it is, i like the look, size and sound of them - a lot. They have the front firing port too so they should be ideal for my living room.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a good choice if you're looking for a bit more bass authority. I've just plumped for q 2020i to go with the DM39 (second system). Didn't try the BX2s because I wanted small speakers. Personally found both bx1 and zensor 1 didn't go deep enough in the bass but the q acoustics were remarkable for their size. They are a bit deeper (physically, I mean) than the other two though. Can understand why people have been recommending the dalis though: wonderfully detailed sound, but lacking any bass depth IMO.

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I too found the dalis had a very nice sound but no bottom end, the bx1 had loads of punch for their size but the bx2's had it all really. They didnt have the 2020is for me to test but i think for their price they are probably the better buy for a small sized speaker especially if you prefer them to the more expensive bx1's. I do like the size of the bx2's they look like propper hifi speakers to me lol, but this is my main setup too.

Just wanted to know if anybody has bi-wired speakers before, does it actually make a difference? The amp only has left and right output.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The BX2 are very nice speakers and definitely a good buy but the more natural (musical) sound of the Zensor 1 is also very appealing. They let you hear more detail too. They should make a Zensor 2.....................now :)

CraigShaw

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree! They would be perfect with a little more bottom end, i feel no one will buy anything else if they were priced right!

I always run a flat eq, mainly because the m38 only has bass and treble adjustments and they colour the sound. I find it a bright system and tuning with the speakers is best for me. i could use some qed silver aniversary for the tweeters if i bi-wire, may componsate for the extra lows.

gasolin

Jame5 said:
Sounds like a good choice if you're looking for a bit more bass authority. I've just plumped for q 2020i to go with the DM39 (second system). Didn't try the BX2s because I wanted small speakers. Personally found both bx1 and zensor 1 didn't go deep enough in the bass but the q acoustics were remarkable for their size. They are a bit deeper (physically, I mean) than the other two though. Can understand why people have been recommending the dalis though: wonderfully detailed sound, but lacking any bass depth IMO.

Except the level of bass i found it to be good,it might be tuned so it sounds perfect (bass) on a wall or close to it and only okay on speaker stand mabye 50cm,20" away from the wall, if you have sensitive neighbors and like an open sound, they are very good, playing some moderne electronic music the bass is actually quet good, just whish that the level of the bass with pop,rock music would be as loud as with something like tiesto,timbaland

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I didn't listen at low levels. I was listening with speakers away from the walls which of course would have had an effect on bass. For the record, the dalis were great, just not right for my tastes.

gasolin

I think i might have gone with the Q 2020i because of the bas, instead of the dali zensor 1, but i don't live next to a place where they sell Q 2020I but i would deffenitly considering them if i want someting with more bas, they are even cheaper then the (non white) dali zensor 1 and it's with free delivery in Denmark.

I have heard somebody say the MA BX2's are not so musical, so would go for the Q 2020i especially because of the price, much cheaper then the MA BX2 (In Denmark where i live you can get 3 Q 2020i for the price of 2 MA BX2's or 1 set of Q 2020I with some killer speaker cables and some speaker foam you can put them under the speakers if you don't have any speaker stands and still not pay more then the MA BX2'S)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts