Denon CEOL N9 or DM40DAB: What gives?

Hello all,

I've been looking around for an entry level mini hifi system and of course I found WHF largely praised Denon DM40DAB and I must say I'm very tempted. Until I found out about the CEOL N9 (which strangely doesn't have much info on WTH).

There are obvious differences in functionality - mainly all the wireless and network capabilities of the N9 - which is reflected on the price (from where I live the N9 is almost twice the price of the DM40) butI wonder if there are more to miss than the eye can see.

Or in other words, how different do they sound from each other? Say, if I pair them with the Q Acoustics 3020 and listen to a few varied CDs, how likely will one notice a difference? Would it be a dramatic difference or just the most acute listener would notice?

And for a final question, for a CD-Player-only experience, would it be preferable to buy the CEOL N9 with Q Acoustics 3020 or go for the cheaper DM40 and invest in a pair of better speakers?

Thanks in advance for all your insights. Please feel free to pitch in another mini-hifi + speaker combos that I should consider for under £500.

Cheers!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
It'll be hard to get all the functionality of these midi systems including speakers for your budget.

Thing is these systems are 'fixed'. If music means more to you than background noise it may be worth considering a modern CD/amp with dac and speakers and 'building' on it.

The midi is a fair call but it depends on how much you listen to music.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a 38dab in the house, its a competent system (bar the sudden volume hike - goes from quite to too loud suddenly)

And provided you don't get too ambitious with speaker choice (70watt max handling is about right) or expect it to 'fill a room' it'll do......

Not familiar with the other system but if the functionality is worth the cost go for it.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the Denon Ceol N8 and use to have the Denon DM37, and would say that the Ceol does in fact sound better and with the added features of internet radio and wi-fi streaming etc is well worth the extra money

I use it with Dali Zensor 1 speakers and it sounds excellent, it really is a very good little system and would be surprised if you were not happy with the Denon Ceol N9 which I think would sound very similar to my system being the earlier model, with the right speakers it will sound excellent

Also its all in one box which I think is very neat, and think you would have to pay a great deal more to make it worth while upgrading that should tell you just how very good the Ceol sounds

Jfil

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have the Denon Ceol N5 with bundled speakers . What a fantastic little kit! Buy it you won't regret it. I found that i liked the sound better than an yamaha receiver that i have tested. I have also tried qacoustics 2010i and didn't like the combination, very detailed sound but boring. I am searching to upgrade my speakers too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts