Denon AXR-X2000 zone 2 speakers?

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I've set up a Denon AVR-X2000 with some Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 speakers in my front room - the sound is really very impressive, especially given the size of the speakers, and the network features of the amp make it a decent media streaming device.

The receiver is placed against a wall which seperates the front room from the hall and dining room, so I am tempted to run some cables to the dining room and run a second zone.

Is the amp sufficently 'muscular' to drive both zones at once, with any degree of quality? I'm conscious that the zone 2 speakers would more generally be used as 6th and 7th surround speakers, so I'm not sure if using them as a pair of stereo adds too much load to ensure decent quality (especially given that the amp is running effectively two concurrent pre-map stages).

I've not tried this before, so I'm not sure quite what quality to expect - i.e. whether this is a 'nice to have' option or a serious offering. I'm unlikely to be running both zones at particularly high volume at any time, but the front room is driving all 5 channels and the dining room is quite big so is likely to require reasonable power.

If the general concensus is that this is a good way to go, any recommendations for decent bookshelf speakers to match would be much appreciated - not sure if I should look for specific impedences or not.

Cheers!

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
The Denon AVR-X series have a separate power amp for each channel. These are all identical, so the zone2 output is just as good as the front speaker output. If you're happy with the quality of the front output (and it sounds like you are), you should be just as happy with the zone 2 output.

As for the bookshelf speakers: the amp is rated 8Ohms, so you need 8Ohm speakers. Almost all bookshelf speakers are 8Ohms, so that shouldn't be a problem. Then it just comes down to your budget and personal sound preferences. The B&W 685 create a very nice, wide soundstage. The Monitor Audio Silver 1 give a more direct sound, with more emphasis on the vocals. A lot of people here also like the Kef LS50, I haven't heard them yet. There really are a lot of very good speakers at the moment so it's best you do an audition in your price range.

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant, many thanks - I'll have a listen to a few sets.

The Boston Acoustics are very good for film but I'm not so keen on them for music - the subwoofer becomes too dominant and I can't quite 'adjust it out' - so a decent set of bookshelf speakaers could be just the ticket.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I have a similar problem here: a JBL speaker set made for movies. These sets often have mediocre speakers and a big sub to produce the low/mid-low frequencies. For movies this works very well, but when playing music the sub is too intrusive. I myself am thinking about replacing the 2 front speakers with something better so I can play music in plain stereo mode.

If you buy a good set of bookshelf speakers it will definitely be a big improvement when playing music.

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.

Just had a chat with the missus and she'd prefer we go for in-ceiling speakers to avoid cluttering her lovely shiny dining room!

Richer sounds do a few stereo ceiling speakers for £150 or so, I'll give them a go. Not expecting revelatory results, but as in all else in life compromise is needed!

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
You're right not to expect too much of them: in-ceiling/in-wall speakers give lesser results than regular speakers, and £150 is really entry-level. Maybe you could strecht to around £200 for a pair of B&W CCM362, or even better CCM382.

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Right, we've had electrician round and he's happy that all makes sense in terms of getting cables situated so it looks like a goer. Based on mmg's kind advice I've upped budget a touch.

With the help of a knowledgeable friend I've put together a shortlist which is as follows:

- B&W CCM832 (ta to mmg for advice) - £250 for a pair

- KEF Ci160CR - £160 each

- Monitor audio CWT160S - £130 each.

Anyone have any thoughts on best ones to go for, using as a stereo pair in a ceiling of a largish, high-ceiling dining room and running from aforementioned Denon AXR-X2000?

I assume I'm unlikely to be able to 'roadtest' these very easily, given they need to be fitted, so I'd be keen to hear other's thoughts. They'll be used to play a pretty eclectic range of music, and some spoken word, and I'm more interested in clarity and 'pace' to the music than I am in deep bass. They are unlikely to be played particularly loudly. Given they're going in a ceiling, I'm not expecting miracles around sound staging.

I'm inclined away form the KEFs purely for price reasons - they'll be over the £300 whereas the others are nearer £250. I'd also like to buy UK-built, if at all possible. I know both B&W and Monitor are UK companies, but not sure where their manufacturing is based. It may be that lower-end speaksers are made overseas, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone knows.

All and any advice gratefully received.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't comment on the quality of the speakers, I've only heard the B&Ws. I'm sure the others will be comparable, since they're all good brands and in the same price bracket. If I it were for me, I would try to get an audition but I don't know if that will be easy: you'd need to find a dealer that has all 3 installed.

For the installation: it's very important to use insulation around the speakers, otherwise your whole ceiling becomes a speaker cabinet and that sounds horrible. You can use the backbockes available from the manufacturerers, or you can use rockwool or fiberglass.

About the manufacturing: I doubt any brand still produces everything in the UK, except maybe for the very high-end models. B&W for example produce the speakers in Mexico, the cabinets in the UK and the electronics in China. Everything is shipped all around the globe and assembled in the UK. This way, they can say "made in the UK"...

mattie_uk

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I suspect I might just end up buying on spec, unless I strike very lucky with a shop having them in stock.

I'll have a word with my electrician, he's done a fair few installations but this may need help from the vendors to get right.

Cheers for advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts