Denon AVR2310 - Group Test Winner

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I would just like to say how pleased (and relieved) I am that the 2310 has had the review it deserves in the new issue (in my opinion).

I have had mine for a while now, after hearing it with the 1910 and onkyo 607. Both my wife and I loved it's sound as soon as we heard it, even though the plan was to buy the 1910.

Just one thing though.
emotion-42.gif

The 2310 has been given 5 stars with the price of £900..........so would it be seen as the bargain of the year (a bit like the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE was last year) knowing you can buy them for £699?

Personally, I think it could well be in that league, with that price in mind.......any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

But the Yamaha 1065 wasn't in the group test?Still a chance to be(a little)better than the Denon 2310?!

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
If you dont mind me asking where did you pick it up for 699?

I haven't been able to pick up the new issue yet but can you tell me how the 3310 did?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Your correct in saying not the Yamaha 1065.......but the 765, 565, and 465 have been below par this year compared with last years models, and Denon now have two Group winners, the 1910 and 2310. (Although the 3310 was not seen as such a good buy in this issue.)

The Onkyo TX-NR807 (£800) and Pioneer SC-LX52( £950) were included in this test...

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hems:If you dont mind me asking where did you pick it up for 699? I haven't been able to pick up the new issue yet but can you tell me how the 3310 did?

I got mine at Creative Audio in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. (Pick up only, I think - Denon rules)

The AVR3310 got 4 stars.

'For: Nice to use; delivers a powerful. purposeful sound; creates an expansive spread of surround effects'

'Against: Low frequencies could be tighter; traces of thickness in dailogue'

Verdict: very accomplished but lacks the wow factor to justify 5 stars.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
looking forward to reading the reviews.

Looks like I might be arranging a demo of the 2310 rather than the 3310(was it the price or something else?)

A

Anonymous

I am now very happy i went for this item aswell as £750 was alot for me to spend on a receiver but now i know it was worth it.

Hey pistol pete can you tell me all your settings that your using please , I don't think im getting the best from my Denon 2310 so if you could list all the settings you have and how you have it all connected that would be great cheers Jason. Also what settings do you use when watching Blu-rays ?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The article suggests that if the 3310 is pushing your budget, then perhaps the 2310 would be a good receiver to demo.

AVR2310:

For: Fine spec; solid build; breathtaking low level dynamics and detail; clear dialogue and smooth treble.

Against: Nothing of note

Verdict: Could be the sweet spot in Denon's range. Superb machine for the money.

Tempted to demo it yet?

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Definitely. I've been waiting a while for the reviews to be published before I took the next step.

Just need an opinion on this potential set up to demo:

Avr 2310 (rather than the 3310)
KEF 3005SE sats (have already)
PV1 Sub (planning to buy)

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Are there any other receivers in the 1000 range that I should consider?

Cheers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
jasonsony735:I am now very happy i went for this item aswell as £750 was alot for me to spend on a receiver but now i know it was worth it. Hey pistol pete can you tell me all your settings that your using please , I don't think im getting the best from my Denon 2310 so if you could list all the settings you have and how you have it all connected that would be great cheers Jason. Also what settings do you use when watching Blu-rays ?

All the setting!!!!!!

Ok - firstly I manually input the speakers distances. I have the sub at 80hz, and the centre and rears at 60hz. The floorstanders are at full band.

The sound levels will not be of any use to you, as your room will be different. But I set up the levels by ear. Then set the whole thing up using audyssey to find it came up with the same levels but 12db's less, so I returned to my settings. The speaker distances were slightly different, but by centimetres.

For freeview from the dvd recorder (HDMI), I use the music setting.

For blu ray (HDMI) I use the 'pure direct' setting which will switch off the front display too. The amp decodes all HD sound.

For cd player I use analogue inputs.

Xbox is connected via HDMI.

Anymore info needed?

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
have to say im really delighted with my 2310, i tried out the onkyo 607 for 14 days prior to swapping to the denon and its just stonking.

movies are brilliant but i love the music side of it more! put pure direct mode on and it oozes class.

brilliant buy chuffed to bits with it
emotion-2.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Forgot to say, I have switched of the scaler on the amp, and do all the 1080p upscaling on the bluray player or dvd recorder.....

And I use pure direct with the cd player too.........

A

Anonymous

Cheers Pete , Has anyone Bi Amped the front speakers ? I have been told that the sound is alot better if you do this , can anyone confirm this .

cloud7

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

jasonsony735:I am now very happy i went for this item aswell as £750 was alot for me to spend on a receiver but now i know it was worth it. Hey pistol pete can you tell me all your settings that your using please , I don't think im getting the best from my Denon 2310 so if you could list all the settings you have and how you have it all connected that would be great cheers Jason. Also what settings do you use when watching Blu-rays ?

All the setting!!!!!!

Ok - firstly I manually input the speakers distances. I have the sub at 80hz, and the centre and rears at 60hz. The floorstanders are at full band.

The sound levels will not be of any use to you, as your room will be different. But I set up the levels by ear. Then set the whole thing up using audyssey to find it came up with the same levels but 12db's less, so I returned to my settings. The speaker distances were slightly different, but by centimetres.

For freeview from the dvd recorder (HDMI), I use the music setting.

For blu ray (HDMI) I use the 'pure direct' setting which will switch off the front display too. The amp decodes all HD sound.

For cd player I use analogue inputs.

Xbox is connected via HDMI.

Anymore info needed?

Hi!

Are these setting applicable to Denon 1909?? (Sub 80hz, rear 60hz and front fullband)

I will follow these setting 1st... Yea! My complete set of HT will be arrived today!

A

Anonymous

Im going to try the settings Pete has used and will come back with my feed back on Thur :)

Have you changed any other options on the Receiver pete ? is everything else on default.

I know you have your speakers on fullband but this is something i might change because when i watch movies and there is a massive explosion i get the air coming out of the vent of the speaker ! is this normal ? Im also getting a funny smell come from the speakers aswell so maybe this isnt doing them any good . I watch Blu-rays on around 12 - 15db.

A

Anonymous

Aha!

Cant wait to check out this issue. Quick question, was the Marantz SR6004 included in the group test? Im only asking because its just a lot prettier than the competition!

A

Anonymous

i have mine bi-amped and your right it does sound better. seems to give the added power my b&w floorstanders needed.

A

Anonymous

lazarus:

But the Yamaha 1065 wasn't in the group test?Still a chance to be(a little)better than the Denon 2310?!

Hmm,the game has to be played!!-)

BUT:As I live in Belgium and we don't have a Denon like the UK,how would the result have been if the (not UK tuned)Denon was tested against the others(or also the Yamaha)???

A

Anonymous

Hi, I bought the denon 2310 as I found it was better with music than the denon 1910. I am really happy with my 2310, I have since then bought the PV1 sub witch is really impressive. I just need to save up for the M1 sats as i am using my old sony speakers from my sony 5.1 dvd player.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Few answers to some of the questions in this thread:

Denon AVR-2310 list price is £800, not £900 - sorry, our mistake in mag; we reviewed it knowing there were deals around for as little as £699 though

Both the Yamaha '1065 and Marantz SR6004 will be exclusively reviewed in the massive First Tests section of our Awards issue, out October 20th (with subscribers and visitors to Manchester Show from Saturday 18th).

We may run one of those reviews online before the issue is out, if we get the chance.

Awards testing continues apace!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
jasonsony735 - I have mine bi amped too. Did it straight away, so don't know the difference it made.

cloud7 - Not sure the setting will work with the 1909, as some of the settings will depend on the speaker package you use.

jasonsony735 - I used to have the same problem with my onkyo 606 - speaker cones moving too much. Don't seem to get the problem on the denon, which is why the fronts are on full band. But saying that, you have your movies much louder than mine. I don't get above -20dbs!!!

I'm sure I have changed other stuff - will have a closer look tonight. But I think it's best to experiment, as your speaker package is completely different to mine.

Al2009 - I agree with you, the 2310 is much better with music than the 1910...which is why I bought it.

Chan....... - No marantz SR6004 - it's not out yet.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Forgot to say, I have switched of the scaler on the amp, and do all the 1080p upscaling on the bluray player or dvd recorder.....

And I use pure direct with the cd player too.........

The 2310 cannot upscale through hdmi anyway can it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts