Denon 3808 or Onkyo 875?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for an amp and have shortlisted to either the Denon 3808 or the Onkyo 875. I have been reading the product brochures for the Denon and the Onkyo but as a newbie, I'm so confused as to which would be a better system to buy. Does the HQV chip used the the 875 deliver superior pictures compared to the Denon? What about the sound for music and movies? What can we do with the networking capabilities on the Denon? Thanks for your help and opinions!

A

Anonymous

Whilst I can't help you on a A/B comparision on the two amps, (try to have a demo on them) I must say I have been impressed by my 875. It has superb control of music with effortless power, timing and openess. The Onyko is a heavy beast, much of it down to its substantial power transformer of the quality only found on much more expensive equipment. £ for £ nothing comes close to beating it IMHO.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd go with the Onkyo - the Denon's a great receiver, but the Onkyo's better for audio and video at that price point.

I think it's a shame Denon hasn't chosen to go head-to-head with the 875 or the forthcoming Onkyo 876 with an updated £1000 receiver of its own, as some of the new, cheaper Denons look very promising.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
I'd go with the Onkyo - the Denon's a great receiver, but the Onkyo's better for audio and video at that price point.

I think it's a shame Denon hasn't chosen to go head-to-head with the 875 or the forthcoming Onkyo 876 with an updated £1000 receiver of its own, as some of the new, cheaper Denons look very promising.

[/quote]

Thanks Clare.

Do you have any news on when the Onkyo 876 will be launched and do you have any information on the specs?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info and the link! :)

Looks like I should hold off buying the 875 now and wait patiently for a couple more months . . . it's going to be wierd having the speakers and subwoofer installed but no amp to power them.

By the way, the Denon 2808 was previously compared to the Onkyo 875 in the What Hi-Fi Review but given that the new Denon 2809 has dropped in price to $800, would it be fair to compare the 3808 versus the Onkyo 875 instead?

I'm really looking forward to more news on the Onkyo 876 and a full review! :)

A

Anonymous

Clare, Richard (Melville), any plans for a new Behind the Scenes/new product report after this years trip to Onkyo HQ. Something planned for an upcoming magazine ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've got plenty of info, but there are certain embargoes in place that mean we can't publish it just yet. Be assured that as soon as we can, there'll be a full, detailed report here online.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Any news on the Onkyo 876? I've been searching in vain for information on the Onkyo 876 as I am now convinced that the Onkyo 875 is superior than the Denon 3808 and I think the 876 can only get better.

I'm trying to hold on and wait for the Onkyo 876 rather than buy the Onkyo 875 now but I don't know how long I can tolerate not having an amp . . .

BTW, the new website and interface is GREAT!!! Keep up the good work!

A

Anonymous

Hi there, I was in exactly the same boat too. My speakers are just sitting there asking to be used and I also wanted to pip for the '875' but I was 'holding out for hero' from the other brands!
I have now just purchased a refurbished '875' for 629.99 pounds from exceptional av with a promo code which gives you 10% off and ends today! I can't wait till it arrives next week.

A

Anonymous

Only slight prob I may have is that they will damage my mordaunt short avant's as I think the amp outputs 200wpc but i hope they can hack it if i lower the ohms and speaker levels etc anyone think this will be ok?
Thanks Paul

A

Anonymous

good stuff....! cheers Andrew. I can't wait to try them out together and see how much better the 875 is over the 606. Hope my rack can hack the weight of the beast, It's on the verge of sumo weight that 875!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Just make sure (a) that it's on the bottom shelf and (b) that you have plenty of space above it and to either side for airflow.

I have my 875 in an Ikea 'Tobo' TV bench. Great unit, loads of space for stuff and the centre has plenty of room for the Onk and loads of space for ventilation (You can see it in the 'My System' forum. My post's called 'My Stuff'.)

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to hold off and wait for the Onkyo 876. Can the What Hi-Fi team confirm whether there will be any announcements soon on the Onkyo 876?

Regarding the Onkyo 875, I'm just a bit concerned about all these comments on airflow as my AV receiver will be housed in a "closed" cabinet which does have space at the top and sides of the receiver.

A

Anonymous

I was going to too but I saw a quality deal on a refurb 875 and couldn't resist. In answer to your other question...I wouldn't recommend it, I have heard this bad boy runs real hot so unless you can wire a small fan in there or if there is adequete ventilation going from the front to back ie the back is not closed off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts