Denon 2808 - £399.95

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Got an email yesterday from Richer Sounds saying the Denon 2808 is £399.95 (RRP 899.95). Now I suspect this is because the new 2909 is coming out soon, but definitely worth checking out if you're looking for an AV receiver around the £400 mark at the moment!
EDIT - this is the VIP member price which you can sign up to - on the online website, it's showing for £499.95.

A

Anonymous

I can vouch for it! It is a great piece of equipment! I bought it cheap, but is wat 638 euro's after all...which is slightly more than 399 pounds
emotion-6.gif
But still a steal
emotion-1.gif
emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Got an email yesterday from Richer Sounds saying the Denon 2808 is £399.95 (RRP 899.95). Now I suspect this is because the new 2909 is coming out soon, but definitely worth checking out if you're looking for an AV receiver around the £400 mark at the moment!
EDIT - this is the VIP member price which you can sign up to - on the online website, it's showing for £499.95.

Wow! That is an amazing price. I went to Sevenoaks with my brother-in-law and he was happy to get it for around £700!

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Got an email yesterday from Richer Sounds saying the Denon 2808 is £399.95 (RRP 899.95). Now I suspect this is because the new 2909 is coming out soon, but definitely worth checking out if you're looking for an AV receiver around the £400 mark at the moment!

Thanks once again, Prof - you're my guardian angel this week! I hadn't checked my hotmail address and missed this! And here's me agonising over a 1909! I'd rather black but at this price, has a decision been made for me? The Onk 875 may sound a little better, but it's still at least £200 more expensive even with the a Richer Sounds offer on that.

I don't think I can go wrong with a 2808 for £400 ... Can I ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Wow - don't think I've ever been anyone's guardian angel before!! In response, I don't think you can go wrong though I'd like to point out, I've never listened extensively to a 2808. But given other comments I've seen on the forum, for £400, this really is an absolute bargain IMO (hence why I posted!). Whether it's worth the extra £200-£300 for the Onkyo 875 is more tricky and one I couldn't say without experience of them both. But if you were thinking of an Onkyo 606 / Denon 1909, then this should definitely be on your audition list.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Guardian Angel because you seem to be the one pointing out the little things I've missed even with all the thought I've given everything!

There's always something to spoil the party - I don't doubt that it's a great receiver but only 2 HDMI inputs would be a pain in the medium term - I'll have to see if the sound quality and money saved can balance it out! I've got three HDMI inputs on the TV so I could probably use the spare two inputs on the TV for DVD player and Sky HD / Freesat HD, with the coaxial / optical from these going to receiver, but somehow it feels a little messier.

A

Anonymous

A nice cable tie may make it look tidier
emotion-5.gif

Must be honest though, the extra hdmi s on my 606 are great..even though I don't use them .

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gozaradio:
Guardian Angel because you seem to be the one pointing out the little things I've missed even with all the thought I've given everything!

There's always something to spoil the party - I don't doubt that it's a great receiver but only 2 HDMI inputs would be a pain in the medium term - I'll have to see if the sound quality and money saved can balance it out! I've got three HDMI inputs on the TV so I could probably use the spare two inputs on the TV for DVD player and Sky HD / Freesat HD, with the coaxial / optical from these going to receiver, but somehow it feels a little messier.

Goza. I emailed Denon a few weeks ago and asked them about the new 2309 and given that it's a similar price to the 2808 now, what would be the better machine for performance. I was told that the 2808 is a better machine with higher quality components. Obviously the 2309 is going to be better than the 1909 so there you have it. Also, the 2 hdmi is a pain but it upconverts. Component from Sky HD box to Denon will sort your worries. I've even been told that component gives at least as good a picture on a Sky HD box.

A

Anonymous

Understand that Onkyo has 2 new receivers 806 and 706. Should be in stores in Sep. Any idea if they are better compared to the 2808 just by comparing the specs?

ÿ

Seems like 2808 is better than 1909 and Onkyo 606. Why is it that 2808 only has 4* instead?ÿ

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I think it was up against the Onkyo 875, but its still a fine amp and at £399 would surely get 5 stars now compared to the other budget amps at £400.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hit the nail on the head there - it got 4 stars priced at £900 - at £400 it's a very different story. But then, on the other hand, a 4 star product is still very good and, in some cases, might fit your system better than a 5 star product. It's all about auditioning.

A

Anonymous

Do you think that this is better that the 2309? because even though i only have one HDMI compatible devise (the PS3) i am thinking about the future, if i get a new freesat box and a standalone bluray player then i will have to plug then strait into the TV, which i dont really like the idea because i am going to wall mount the TV

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Wow - don't think I've ever been anyone's guardian angel before!! In response, I don't think you can go wrong though I'd like to point out, I've never listened extensively to a 2808. But given other comments I've seen on the forum, for £400, this really is an absolute bargain IMO (hence why I posted!). Whether it's worth the extra £200-£300 for the Onkyo 875 is more tricky and one I couldn't say without experience of them both. But if you were thinking of an Onkyo 606 / Denon 1909, then this should definitely be on your audition list.

I would think you are most peoples gardian angel as all the advice you give is measured,knowledgeable and unbiased. The greatest respect for you sir.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TomW93:Do you think that this is better that the 2309? because even though i only have one HDMI compatible devise (the PS3) i am thinking about the future, if i get a new freesat box and a standalone bluray player then i will have to plug then strait into the TV, which i dont really like the idea because i am going to wall mount the TV

I posted this a couple of days ago....

"Goza. I emailed Denon a few weeks ago and asked them about the new 2309 and given that it's a similar price to the 2808 now, what would be the better machine for performance. I was told that the 2808 is a better machine with higher quality components. Obviously the 2309 is going to be better than the 1909 so there you have it. Also, the 2 hdmi is a pain but it upconverts. Component from Sky HD box to Denon will sort your worries. I've even been told that component gives at least as good a picture on a Sky HD box."

A

Anonymous

laserman16:professorhat:Wow - don't think I've ever been anyone's guardian angel before!!

I would think you are most peoples gardian angel as all the advice you give is measured,knowledgeable and unbiased. The greatest respect for you sir.

Even if your new avatar is scary as off putting at best. You do have a thing abouy bald women though.....in the avatar dept. anyway.

A

Anonymous

hi i also bought denon 2808 at 399.95 andlast month also bought kef 2005.2 speakers at £299.99 ive really got 2 bargains at richersounds these were also vip members emails from richersounds keep it up lads --no pun intended--- this system sings with blu ray music and films---try legend of jazz---tony bennett---celine dion-- in blu ray three great discs

A

Anonymous

I had a Onkyo 875 and took it back after a week. Just couldn't gel with the sound. Too harsh and clinical for me. I have Kef 2005.2 speakers and couldn't get the sub to 'disapear'. I replaced it with a Denon 2808. This sounds better to me in our lounge. I think the operating system on the Onkyo is better. I do like the fact that on the Denon you can have a completely different set of levels, crossovers etc for stereo and surround set ups. The remote is also better to use. I only have SK+ via S-VHS up converted, DVD and X-Box 360 via componant so the lack of HDMI inputs doesn't matter. All in all I think if the lack of HDMI inputs is not a problem then it is a good alternative to the Onkyo.

P.S. The diplay turns off completely. Great when you you have an inquisitive toddler roaming about.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Bald women?

Yep, that's Jade Goody in a swimming hat after a recent accident with hair bleach isn't it ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
andyb190:
professorhat:Bald women?

Yep, that's Jade Goody in a swimming hat after a recent accident with hair bleach isn't it ?

You got me!
emotion-1.gif

Believe it or not, that is actually me - taken about 10 years ago in one of those photo booths where you can add comedy frames to your picture. My mate discovered it a few months back.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site

Prof, was it in silver only??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts