Denon 2500bt vs My panasonic plasma for upscaling

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Ive been having a day of demoing today in peace as the other half & kids were visiting her parents (very rare occasion being by myself) that said, i have been doing an a/b upscaling comparison test between the above two with a few standard DVDs & to my surprise the Plasma comes out on top for this by a huge mile !!

The recent upscaling test WHSV have just done with a few bluray players (which gave me the ispiration to do this test) the players always came out the clear winners, now although ive had my Denon for a while now funnily enough i hadnt up until now used the 576p output on this player.

The results with the Denon set to 1080p were that the quality of the picture was clean, sharp with good detail however, when set to 576p (plasma doing the upscaling) the results were alot better i mean to a surprising level, it was the same as the above result but with much more depth to the picture, colours very deep & vivid to the point were they looked near HD quality.

With the hype of how good the Denon gets for upscaling i must say it didnt come close to the plasmas ability for this, all i can say is that my plasma is one hell of an upscaler.

Anybody else prefer there plasma / LCD to upscale?

A

Anonymous

Yes, that is a bit unexpected.

On my system I have a Sony 970RDR from which I use its TV tuner and its HD to record programmes and listen to music stored on its HD.

I find that my Onkyo 875 upscales slightly better than the Sony, but there's not much in it.

Suspect it is likely to be contamination on the mains that is giving this strong difference.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes it sure is Trevor, you say mains contamination but im using good powercords & mains purifier etc.

Then again some people could look at the Denons upscaling picture & prefer it as its by no means rubbish but i do prefer my plasma doing it as its such a huge difference, when the other half came back home i asked her which quality picture she preffered (she didnt know which was doing the upscaling) by doing an a/b comparison & she chose the plasmas upscaling by a margin !

I cant get over how good it is we sat and watched the dvd version of "day the earth stood still" and at times it looked to be near HD quality, anyway im loving it...

A

Anonymous

Good thread. Interesting find. Will try my Pioneer 51 on SD output without upscaling. I already prefer the upscaling in my Onkyo 905 to the BluRay player for SD, but this is scaling to 720p. Whereas my BluRay player scales to 1080p, which the screen then has to downscale to 720p. (Or 758 or whatever the screen really is). The amp can do the same shift from 1080 to 720, but it works better with only one conversion. Player on Source Direct for DVDs and amp doing the upscaling. I'll let the screen have a go next as I haven't tried that yet.

Just too delivery of my BK Monolith. So off to unpack it. It's sitting in the sitting room in it's rather big box. Quite excited!

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jase, I happen to have the same tv as you and get the same result as well. I sit roughly 4.5 meters from screen. Brilliant tv in my book
emotion-21.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
RodhasGibson:Hi Jase, I happen to have the same tv as you and get the same result as well. I sit roughly 4.5 meters from screen. Brilliant tv in my book
emotion-21.gif
Yes i absolutely agree rod that it is a great tv & IMO it still stands up to the very latest panasonic plasmas.

I certainly plan on keeping it for a long time yet as like weve seen its upscaling capabilities are 2nd to none, it adds so much more to the picture..

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:Good thread. Interesting find. Will try my Pioneer 51 on SD output without upscaling. I already prefer the upscaling in my Onkyo 905 to the BluRay player for SD, but this is scaling to 720p. Whereas my BluRay player scales to 1080p, which the screen then has to downscale to 720p. (Or 758 or whatever the screen really is). The amp can do the same shift from 1080 to 720, but it works better with only one conversion. Player on Source Direct for DVDs and amp doing the upscaling. I'll let the screen have a go next as I haven't tried that yet.

Just too delivery of my BK Monolith. So off to unpack it. It's sitting in the sitting room in it's rather big box. Quite excited!You want to try it Will see what results you get? If its anything like my plasma youll stick to the plasmas upscaling.

Let me know your findings will?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
RodhasGibson:Hi Jase, I happen to have the same tv as you and get the same result as well. I sit roughly 4.5 meters from screen. Brilliant tv in my book
emotion-21.gif
What bluray player do you own Rod...?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
Out of curiosity Rod.. were do you have your settings for colour , brightness etc on the panasonic 50pz700? As you know there not numbered or anything so its guess work? For e.g is your brightness half way or near halfway ? Colour etc

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I prefer the upscaling of DVD's that the Denon produces over my Pioneer plasma and the Onkyo 905. The latter 2 aren't at all bad, but the Denon for me gives a much cleaner, crisper image on DVD.

As for Blu-Ray, well I think the fox knows my thoughts on the Denon's blu-ray performance (we won't start that one again).

A

Anonymous

Hi Jase, maybe you could answer my post 2 down from you regarding the upscaling question i posted.ÿ

You sound veryÿknswledgable on the subject of scaling, as my dilemma is weather to run Sky + direct to the tv with scart or via the yammy (which upscales to 1080p) via Svid.

ÿ

Chrisÿ

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
pete321:
I prefer the upscaling of DVD's that the Denon produces over my Pioneer plasma and the Onkyo 905. The latter 2 aren't at all bad, but the Denon for me gives a much cleaner, crisper image on DVD.

As for Blu-Ray, well I think the fox knows my thoughts on the Denon's blu-ray performance (we won't start that one again).
Dont get me wrong pete the Denon does produce a great upscaled picture as like you say it is clean & crisp but compared to my plasmas ability it produces a much more deeper, richer picture which also makes the colours more vivid, my opinion anyway.

And yes Pete im well aware of your thoughts on the Denon's performance which i put to bed a longggg time ago, ha

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Christian Leyland:
Hi Jase, maybe you could answer my post 2 down from you regarding the upscaling question i posted.ÿ

You sound veryÿknswledgable on the subject of scaling, as my dilemma is weather to run Sky + direct to the tv with scart or via the yammy (which upscales to 1080p) via Svid.

ÿ

Chrisÿ
I answered your post Christian.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
RodhasGibson:Hi Jase, This is just my preference mind, but Contrast 70% Brightness 50% Colour 50% sharpness 50% Col Bal Normal Colour Management off P-NR OFF, What are yours btw.I have my contrast around 70% same as you, my brightness at around 40% & colour about 35% with the colour management & p-nr off to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts