Denon 2500BT £499.99

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
A

Anonymous

Excellent Deal - Also available from Frank Harvery Hifi after I just spoke with them for the same price. Both companies FrankHarvery Hifi & Hifispec are only available with black units.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've just sold my Denon 2500BT, personally I think it was one of the worst value bits of kit I bought! Based on the performance difference over my Sony BDP-S350 (now £140), I'd say it was worth £300-350, not the £600 I paid for it.

You'll probably have to wait unitl the end of the year for the European release of the Oppo BDP-83. Apparently there's a lesser machine being released in Europe soon. If you want the fully featured machine with Anchor Bay processing and SACD, etc you'll need to wait for the BDP-83, or... http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_bpd-83.htm - I'm gonna be putting my order in on Monday!

A

Anonymous

pete321:
I've just sold my Denon 2500BT, personally I think it was one of the worst value bits of kit I bought! Based on the performance difference over my Sony BDP-S350 (now £140), I'd say it was worth £300-350, not the £600 I paid for it.

You'll probably have to wait unitl the end of the year for the European release of the Oppo BDP-83. Apparently there's a lesser machine being released in Europe soon. If you want the fully featured machine with Anchor Bay processing and SACD, etc you'll need to wait for the BDP-83, or... http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/region_free_bpd-83.htm - I'm gonna be putting my order in on Monday!

That is why I'm so happy with my Panasonic BD35! One would expect a real step up in performance from a Denon 2500BT, but sadly when considering the price difference and specs, you would be dissapointed.

A

Anonymous

All depends on the rest of your equipment & cables used perhaps?

I shall be recieving the Blu Ray player next week and will post results.

The PS3 & Sony 350 I have played around with just dont sit right with me.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Vinny7:

I hope you like it, but I think my Pioneer PDP-LX5090 was up to the job. I'm going for the Oppo BDP-83 now, that's £599 for the hardware modded version and probably won't be much better than the Denon for blu-ray. However, it'll be better with DVD (although this is the area well the 2500BT showed massive improvements over the Sony) plus has multi-region for Blu-Ray & DVD, SACD and DVD Audio playback on the audio side. I read a review by WillHarris from this site who had a demo with the Oppo BDP-83 against the Denon 3800, he said he could see no difference.

I think the fact is with any decent blu-ray palyer (and I include budget models from Sony & Panasonic) you can't see much difference in the HD picture at normal viewing distances unless you really look hard for them. Are those small differences worth the premium price you pay for the product, the BDP-S350 is available for £140 now! I was very disappointed with my outgoing Denon, to me it just wasn't worth £600 and probably not £499 either.

My Sony 350 played every disc I put in it, including those that Denon just spat out. These may have been among the 'badly mastered discs' or had a little mark on them, not a problem for cheapy Sony. How can someone like Denon charge a hefty price for the 2500BT and not provide a premium firmware. I like Oppo's approach to the limited trial release they did with the BDP-83 to iron out firmware issues before releasing to the masses (well the masses in the USA anyway).

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
pete321:Vinny7:

I hope you like it, but I think my Pioneer PDP-LX5090 was up to the job. I'm going for the Oppo BDP-83 now, that's £599 for the hardware modded version and probably won't be much better than the Denon for blu-ray. However, it'll be better with DVD (although this is the area well the 2500BT showed massive improvements over the Sony) plus has multi-region for Blu-Ray & DVD, SACD and DVD Audio playback on the audio side. I read a review by WillHarris from this site who had a demo with the Oppo BDP-83 against the Denon 3800, he said he could see no difference.

I think the fact is with any decent blu-ray palyer (and I include budget models from Sony & Panasonic) you can't see much difference in the HD picture at normal viewing distances unless you really look hard for them. Are those small differences worth the premium price you pay for the product, the BDP-S350 is available for £140 now! I was very disappointed with my outgoing Denon, to me it just wasn't worth £600 and probably not £499 either.

My Sony 350 played every disc I put in it, including those that Denon just spat out. These may have been among the 'badly mastered discs' or had a little mark on them, not a problem for cheapy Sony. How can someone like Denon charge a hefty price for the 2500BT and not provide a premium firmware. I like Oppo's approach to the limited trial release they did with the BDP-83 to iron out firmware issues before releasing to the masses (well the masses in the USA anyway).
Pete, where did you read the review by WIll?

A

Anonymous

I would recommend auditioning equipment yourself as well however - its only your own eyes that can be the judge.

I did notice much difference between blu ray players that Superfi let me sit down for a few hours auditioning. Everything from the Sony 350 to the Pioneer LX91 was played around with.

The oppo sounds good - but wonder if I could ever audition the unit vs the Denon.....

Also the looks of a unit for me are incredibly important too, so would have to discount the Oppo

Thx for the advice though

A

Anonymous

Picked Denon up for £469 from Frank Harvey in Coventry on Saturday.
Fired it up yesterday - excellent.
Favourite ever bargain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts