chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not quite the wordsmith that others are when it comes to describing demos, so wil try and keep this short and to the point.

Had an interesting morning yesterday demoing Cyrus One, Rega Elex-R, and standmounts from Pro-Ac, Dali, and B&W.

The Pro-Acs were used to discriminate between the amps. Sources were a Planar 3, and a Marantz Streamer (8005) fed by Apple Music AirPlayed from my iPhone.

It was very quickly apparent that the Rega is a different class to the Cyrus - so much control and clarity. Songs I am very familiar with made to sound new. The Cyrus was lovely - just uninvolving.

Next came the speaker rotations. To cut a long story short, the Dali then showed just how much bass had been missing in the Pro-Acs. Such a wram and rounded sound. I iniatially liked them very much indeed.

However, the B&W 705 S2 are something else. That unusual tweeter design clearly works - I don't think I've ever heard such clarity and precision. Cymbals that pierced the air, vocals that just sounded "there". I don't really know how else to describe the sound. Stunning. Literally hair-raising.

For reference, music played was a mix of old vinyl (Dylan/Roxy Music), new vinyl (Placebo, The XX) and Apple Music - various stuff including The Doors, Dire Straits, Charlotte Gainsbourg, The War on Drugs, Ian Brown, Eels, Hannah Wicklund & The Stepping Stones.

So, now I need to start saving pennies.

Unless I get hit by a musical sledgehammer, the Elex-R and 705 S2 will be the way I go as soon as I can!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Will agree on the superior tweeter on the b&w's. The last time I heard b&w speakers, the female vocals were the most convincing I have ever heard. And even I repeated the word 'so real and in the room' on several tracks.

Nice comparative review by the way. Short but point made :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
At the eBay for 2nd hand rega amps - get as good quality one as funds permit then buy cheap speakers to start.
Then save for the bws

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Will agree on the superior tweeter on the b&w's. The last time I heard b&w speakers, the female vocals were the most convincing I have ever heard. And even I repeated the word 'so real and in the room' on several tracks.

Thats pretty much what I said. Didn't mention I put a little London Grammar on, and she was incredible. But also Brian Molko on Bosco from the Loud Like Love album.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
newlash09 said:

Thats pretty much what I said. Didn't mention I put a little London Grammar on, and she was incredible. But also Brian Molko on Bosco from the Loud Like Love album.

Placebo unplugged
Brilliant

insider9

Thanks for sharing. I particularly like you methodology and use of Proacs as reference.

Must admit I've not heard neither the 705 nor Rega but after reading this I'd love hear this combo. Thanks again!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys.

I had heard the Brio R before, and knew I'd want to take things up a notch with the next amp I buy, and thought it would be a good step.

I have the Placebo unplugged on vinyl. Sadly the pressing is awful, making it sound like the TT is running slow, so I listen to it on Apple Music.

Cant stop thinking about those 705s.... Aiming to have them within the next 6 months!!!!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
another option for consideration is the dynaudio special 40. These are very good as well

Video I made for them here at Bristol
https://youtu.be/33UKbhqn_18
Also my review for 705 S2
https://youtu.be/hMADA7EexlI

In case your interested.
I had a mic issue in the review so I apologise for the SQ in it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts