Dedicated Sub vs Full Range Fronts?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello All, I am new to this section of the forum although I have been lurking in the Hifi area for some years now.

A few months ago I was lucky enough to obtain a pair of PMC BB5SE main speakers for my two channel set up. As with many/most enthusiasts I also use these loudspeakers as the main fronts in my 7.2 system. That system comprises of;

Reciever - Onkyo TX-NR828

Fronts - PMC BB5SE's

Centre - PMC CB6i (to be replaced with PMC IB2SE C when funds permit)

Surround - Four Linn Diskreet ceiling speakers

Subs - Two BK Monolith +

Looking at the specs of my front speakers (link below) I should be able to ditch the subs, but having tried this the system sounded really aggressive. Somehow the bass had become far, far too loud.

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series/bb5-se

Had I set something up incorrectly do you think? Are the BB5SE's able to replace the subs? Should I keep both? Thanks in advance. G

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You run that system off that receiver?

Or just using it for processing?

The two channel system has an Audio Research front end in to Bryston mono-block power amps. Onkyo not involved.

For movies The BB5SE's are still run off the Bryston mono-blocks but using the pre-outs on the Onkyo instead of the Audio Research pre-amp. The subs are active so the Onkyo is only used for the centre and surrounds as both a pre/power combo, whilst doing the processing for all speakers. Make sense?

Sliced Bread

Difficult question:

I'm using floorstanders up front (CM8 and 782's before that) and I've often flicked between using my floorstanders as large with no sub, and using a sub.

If I'm 100% honest , i've found not using a sub produces a more natural sound that's easy to listen to for long periods. But, after a while I then miss the force of the sub. Like wise after too long using the sub I often turn it off and go back to using the fronts as large.

It's just a different sound imo.

My current compromise is to use a sub, but I have it turned down low...real low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts