Dedicated speaker stands.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Like any stand, they are good if they are rigid and stable and inert (don't add anything like ringing) and bring the tweeters to the same height as your ears when you are seated.

If they look good to you, that is a benefit too. (This 'cosmetic' aspect is usually the biggest plus for manufacturer's own stands but can mean paying a lot more.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Also worth noting that you should consider stands that suit your speakers - from the obvious matter of top-plate size to more subtle considerations (eg some speakers benefiting from heavier stands).

Oh, and worth considering re how the stands are seated (spikes/feet etc) as regards your flooring - just as you would with floorstanding speakers.

But all those comments are re finessing - Chebby is spot on re the essentials in his posts above; anything else is a bonus only you can decide how far you wish to research and try for yourself. If you have the time and inclination, it costs nothing to ask a friendly dealer for a demo of a few different models - ideally, of course, using your own speakers.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
Also worth noting that you should consider stands that suit your speakers - from the obvious matter of top-plate size to more subtle considerations (eg some speakers benefiting from heavier stands).

Oh, and worth considering re how the stands are seated (spikes/feet etc) as regards your flooring - just as you would with floorstanding speakers.

But all those comments are re finessing - Chebby is spot on re the essentials in his posts above; anything else is a bonus only you can decide how far you wish to research and try for yourself. If you have the time and inclination, it costs nothing to ask a friendly dealer for a demo of a few different models - ideally, of course, using your own speakers.
All agreed clare,s speaker-less at the moment . I,m considering the b&wpm1,s. According to whf review the dedicated stands make an important contribution too the pm1,s sound. At 400 pounds a pair thats a hefty investment. Do they really make a significant difference ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Our testers felt so - but if you're auditioning the B&Ws (which i'm sure you'll do before you buy!), why not try them with the dedicated stands and some more affordable options? It's your ears and your wallet that count most :)

I quite agree with Clare, but with something in the class of the B&W PM1 I think it makes more sense to think of them as a system costing £2400 (in this case). Then any floorstanders in the same price range are the alternatives. Or any other standmount speakers with their own stands.

You will have to be very determined to find stands which sound better, cost no more, and look good too! I saw some beautiful British-made stands by Track Audio recently, but I fear they may be as much as the B&W, but worth checking out?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I saw some beautiful British-made stands by Track Audio recently, but I fear they may be as much as the B&W, but worth checking out?

Track Audio make the best stands I've come across (by far), but are priced as much as a good pair of speakers (£1125 to £1300 according to height). If you have an impossible suspended wooden floor, where nothing else works, these probably will.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thanks, Cno, I feared that might be the case, and originally drafted something implying they might be more than the B&Ws, but didn't want to guess. Hadn't realised they were quite so pricey.

They also sell just the isolation foot adapters, spikes and isolation platforms. As you have said, it's beautifully engineered stuff, and is great at completely isolating whatever is placed on it.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
b98dd031-6575-4ead-ae53-b0dbc8655f92_400.jpg

Nice and solid/heavy (granite). Not to everyones taste, but more acceptable to the wallet at around £100 each.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts