Dedicated Mains Spur for Hi-Fi

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I've read alot of recommendations to have a dedicated seperate mains spur for the hi-fi. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how much would I expect to pay an electrician?

If you've had it done what were the results like?

Many thanks.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I have this. The house needed a total rewire so was a no brainer.

Sadly I don't notice any difference and actually (see other threads), my Naim system now hums... The hi fi is now in its 3rd house and I was expecting it to sound its very best in the new local with a dedicated mains circtuit but sadly it doesn't.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
How much to have dedicated seperate mains spur put in is depend on how big the job is! ie How far between the fuse box to listening room, what kind of floor you have etc... I have been told by a friendly firm around here that it would set me back around £1000 for my place.

Therefore if you can get rid of the main niose by using aftermarket conditioner such as PS or Vertex you may save money (as long as products good enough).

The first thing you should do is get a noise sniffer (like this one, LINK) to make sure that your main is producing un-wanted noise (which normally cause by other electric appilances that plug into the same main ring).

A

Anonymous

I had mine put in 4 mths ago by a local electrician (recomended) who charged me £80 cash and did it on a Sat morning.
So I guess it depends on where you live and how big /little a job it is.

It was a worth while improvement for me using 40amp cable which reduced line impedence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts