Dedicated Blu-ray Player vs PS3

On your 32-inch TV, I seriously doubt you will notice an appreciable difference. But check it out side by side & see what you think. I couldn't notice a difference on my 50-inch TV. PS3 slim can bitstream audio to your Onkyo, so audio is not an issue.

A dedicated blu ray player may be worthwhile if PS3 fan's noise bothers you.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I went from a PS3 to the BDP370. I 'think' I noticed a small change in picture quality but as the previous poster mentioned dependent on which PS3 you have the noise can be an issue.

Also the 370 is a lot cheaper to run than the PS3 electricity wise :)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
On your 32-inch TV, I seriously doubt you will notice an appreciable difference. But check it out side by side & see what you think. I couldn't notice a difference on my 50-inch TV. PS3 slim can bitstream audio to your Onkyo, so audio is not an issue. A dedicated blu ray player may be worthwhile if PS3 fan's noise bothers you.

+1 with bigboss's comment.

I have a seperate BD player because the sound & picture quality is marginally better than both of the ps3's i have. I did'nt / dont want to use my games console to play bd films on as im now on my 5th replacement 60gb Phat :(

steerr

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
That's harsh F1Only! I noticed you are also using a PDR-10 Subwoofer, I would be interested to get your thoughts on how good you think it is?

Thanks

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi steerr.

Yep it is a bit harsh as you put it, i have it insured against breakdowns so the only problem is all the game saves are lost, hence i got a 320gb version at the end of last year to cover it.

The Paradigm PDR-10 for me has been a brilliant sub & is left plugged in all the time. I set it up to blend in with my speakers with a hint of bass & presently have the crossover on the amp set to 100hz. I tried the sub with a 80hz setting on the amp & it seemed to miss things out on the bass ( with films ), as most blurays have a dedicated LFE channel. I get good bass with action & explosions in films that way. The volume on the back of the sub is set about half way & the crossover is set fully up, so my amp controls it. I have it sat on a granite plinth too, which seemed to improve it, slightly. IMO it's excellent with movies & good at music.

The only negative i have, is a very slight transformer hum, only noticable when the rest of the system is turned off & the sub is waiting to turn it self off automatically. This apparently is common fault with the ealier PDR series subwoofers & does not interfere with my listening enjoyment.

At present i'm considering a replacement for the subwoofer, it is 12 years old now, although still sounds fine. I was toying with the idea of getting 2 smaller subs ( i have 2 sub outs on my amp), due to space concerns. Alternatively i would be just as happy to get an up to date PDR-10, the one i've got has certainly been very reliable, probably because it's not been driven to extremes.

Regards .. Paul

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
brendonw said:
Also the 370 is a lot cheaper to run than the PS3 electricity wise :)

Yes, but it will take years (beyond the life of the blu-ray player) to recoup the cost of the 370 by electricity savings alone. ;)

Yes, hence it was the last thing I mentioned..... :grin:

steerr

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I too have mine set to 100hz, I can't go much lower than that due to the KEF's frequency responce. I was actually thinking of increasing the sub to 120hz which is the manufacturers recommend cross-over point for the KEF's. I too have been thinking of replacing my sub due to age... However I think I will replace it when it goes bang, like you said they are very reliable.

Cheers

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts