Deciding on first set of Hi-Fi speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am hoping to get a little advice on choosing my first set of Hi-Fi speakers since I cannot try everything in an ideal configuration. The speakers that I am considering are:

Kef Q300

B&W 685

Dynaudio 2/6

Dynaudio Excite x12

The x12s are on special, so the prices of all 4 sets are more or less the same.

I've briefly tried the Q300s and x12s with the respective store setups and was not hugely impressed by what I heard, though the types of music I was able to listen to were completely not my taste. The Q300s I can test with my setup, but none of the others unfortunately.

The Dynaudio 2/6 I cannot test at all. The same goes for the 685s, though I was able to listen to the CM5s and was quite impressed. At double the price I guess they should be impressive!

My current amp is a Pioneer A A6 that I was able to pick up second hand. I normally listen to music from my laptop and have a iBasso D10 Cobra portable DAC to use as an in between. Will pick up a better DAC eventually, when I have the money.

Listening taste is quite varied, but mostly focused upon hard rock, grunge and metal. I do not want to get a separate sub and so need the speakers to not be bass light. From my headphone adventures it seems that I prefer a neutral sound signature rather than any type of colouration.

Thanks for reading, any and all advice is very much appreciated!

Brad

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you're in need of a strong bass, I'd look at the B&W's or the Dynaudios, particularly the Excite X12's. Whether they work well with the Pioneer amp, I doubt many people, if any, on here will be able to say for certain, but if you can get a demo of the speakers you're contemplating with the amplifier you have, that's all you'll need to know :)

GoodnessAU said:
Hi all,

I am hoping to get a little advice on choosing my first set of Hi-Fi speakers since I cannot try everything in an ideal configuration. The speakers that I am considering are:

Kef Q300

B&W 685

Dynaudio 2/6

Dynaudio Excite x12

I've briefly tried the Q300s and x12s with the respective store setups and was not hugely impressed by what I heard, though the types of music I was able to listen to were completely not my taste. The Q300s I can test with my setup, but none of the others unfortunately.

The Dynaudio 2/6 I cannot test at all. The same goes for the 685s, though I was able to listen to the CM5s and was quite impressed. At double the price I guess they should be impressive!

My current amp is a Pioneer A A6 that I was able to pick up second hand. I normally listen to music from my laptop and have a iBasso D10 Cobra portable DAC to use as an in between. Will pick up a better DAC eventually, when I have the money.

Listening taste is quite varied, but mostly focused upon hard rock, grunge and metal. I do not want to get a separate sub and so need the speakers to not be bass light. From my headphone adventures it seems that I prefer a neutral sound signature rather than any type of colouration.

Brad

Hi Brad

What is the size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Positioning of the speakers in relation to walls, corners etc.?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

What attracted you to the Pioneer amp?

Do you use the tone controls on the amplifier?

Is your preference only for bookshelf only speakers or would you also consider floorstanding designs?

If bookshelf are the final choice then will these be stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Apart from the above what other speakers are available for you to audition?

Your general listening level?

What speaker cables will you be using?

Your maximum budget?

In the mean time i feel you should also consider Dynaudio's superb DM 2/7 speakers. Fwiw, i use DM 2/7's with the great Pioneer A-400 amplifier :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

A few answers for your questions Rick:

Room size is circa 20-25 sqm

Listening distance will vary tremendously, but say 3 - 4 m

Positioning is relatively free, though being able to put the speakers closeish to the walls will be an advantage

Room is lightly furnished and there will be nothing directly in the way of the speakers

Bought the Pioneer amp because of the good review on here and that I could get it very cheap

I'd like to avoid the tone controls is possible

I'd consider floorstanding, but I thought around this price range that the bookshelf speakers would be far superior

Speakers will be stand mounted

Unfortunately around this budget there appear to be very few speakers available to test

--------- got interrupted there for a bit, here are the rest of the answers:

Listening level is not particularly loud. This room comprises the majority of my appartment and I don't particularly want to cheese my neighbours off.

Cables? Not sure as yet, it will depend where I buy the speakers from.

Budget is around 550 euros max. Unfortunately I can't get the 2/7s for that price, but I can get the x12s while they are still on special. I guess I need to make the decision fairly quickly :)

Cheers for the help.

A

Anonymous

And where exactly on earth sell the bw 685 and a special offer X12 at the same price. In the UK the BW are 350 and the X12 are nearly 700.

GoodnessAU said:
Thanks guys.

A few answers for your questions Rick:

Room size is circa 20-25 sqm

Listening distance will vary tremendously, but say 3 - 4 m

Positioning is relatively free, though being able to put the speakers closeish to the walls will be an advantage

Room is lightly furnished and there will be nothing directly in the way of the speakers

Bought the Pioneer amp because of the good review on here and that I could get it very cheap

I'd like to avoid the tone controls is possible

I'd consider floorstanding, but I thought around this price range that the bookshelf speakers would be far superior

Speakers will be stand mounted

Unfortunately around this budget there appear to be very few speakers available to test

--------- got interrupted there for a bit, here are the rest of the answers:

Listening level is not particularly loud. This room comprises the majority of my appartment and I don't particularly want to cheese my neighbours off.

Cables? Not sure as yet, it will depend where I buy the speakers from.

Budget is around 550 euros max. Unfortunately I can't get the 2/7s for that price, but I can get the x12s while they are still on special. I guess I need to make the decision fairly quickly :)

Cheers for the help.

Hi Brad

Thanks for your reply.

I think the DM 2/7's would have been a superior choice for you however fair enough though. If the Excite X12's are available at a keen price then go for them :) as the X12's are also superb speakers :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

GoodnessAU said:
Hi all,

Kef Q300

B&W 685

Dynaudio 2/6

Dynaudio Excite x12

Brad

Another one to add to the list: Epos Epic 2. Not heard the Epics but if they're anything like the M12is they should be cracking. Epos don't have the depth of bass of the Dyns, but for a balanced all-rounder they are a tough act to beat. Worth adding to your list.

A

Anonymous

Gaz19 said:
And where exactly on earth sell the bw 685 and a special offer X12 at the same price. In the UK the BW are 350 and the X12 are nearly 700.

They aren't the same place. The 685s are a standard price of 550-600 euro locally and I can only guess the x12s are a close out sale from a large chain store. Not sure what the local rrp is on them to be honest.

Thanks a lot for the input Rick!

Cheers.

GoodnessAU said:
Gaz19 said:

They aren't the same place. The 685s are a standard price of 550-600 euro locally and I can only guess the x12s are a close out sale from a large chain store. Not sure what the local rrp is on them to be honest.

Thanks a lot for the input Rick!

Cheers.

Hi Brad

Your welcome :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts