Decent desktop speakers for occasional use.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have been thinking of B&W MM-1s. I have heard them and they are very good (and have the essential USB input) but £399 is too much for the use I am going to put them to.

I saw - in the news section - a new pair of Focal XS desktop speakers but they are going to be "under £300" and have no USB input.

I could get another pair of Creative T10s (we have some upstairs) but they are 'ok' and I want something better.

However, I have just caught up with the news (and reviews) of the Frankenspiel FS1s (£130) and the Sound Science QSBs (£85).

Both have USB inputs and are powered from the USB input too.

These look (on paper) ideal. The least possible leads and no mains PSUs. Good price, small and good reviews for sound quality.

Can anyone else vouch for them from personal experience? I will be listening from about two feet away (at the desk) or about four feet away (off-axis) from an adjacent armchair.

I don't need 'room filling sound' so the QSBs are primarily of interest to me.

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As noted in another thread, the Frankenspiels are very shortly going to be in Currys and PC World stores - i'd go along and have a listen. They really are impressive little speakers for the money - clear step up from their bargain QSB siblings.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just tripped over this Blog from Andrew when Googling the Soundscience QSBs...

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/some-ear-time-with-the-soundscience-qsb-cubes

(I even left a comment at the time, so I really should have remembered it! Sorry Andrew.)

I will get to Currys tomorrow and see if they have a pair.

Andrew's comments chime with what what I want from these speakers especially the part about their off-axis imaging abilities.

That - and the 5 star review - are most encouraging. (I am sure the Frankenspiels are better, but I only need them to sound good from about 4 feet away.)

I also like the idea of being able to stash them away in their own custom bag. (I will only need them occasionally.)

Thanks.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I hear the Audio Engine P4s are good (and look fab in bamboo) ... I have been tempted myself. You can couple these up to the N22 desktop amp ... but not sure how good that is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts