Death Match: Presley v Holly

Have to confess I'm not a big 50s music fan, especially the early rockers. That said, out of the aforementioned artists, which one does it for you?

Without any question: Buddy Holly for me.

Why? Unlike Presley he wrote or co-wrote most of his songs. Where Presley used he looks to sell records, Holly, by contrast, sold them purely on his music.

Because he sadly died too early, no-one will ever know how big he would have been. But I would guess as a songwriter, producer and musician he would be up there with the very best.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have to confess I'm not a big 50s music fan, especially the early rockers. That said, out of the aforementioned artists, which one does it for you?

Why? Unlike Presley he wrote or co-wrote most of his songs. Where Presley used he looks to sell records, Holly, by contrast, sold them purely on his music.

Because he sadly died too early, no-one will ever know how big he would have been. But I would guess as a songwriter, producer and musician he would be up there with the very best.

Presley for me. Some of his early Sun recordings are superb... I think the mass produced product we saw was mainly down to Colonel Tom Parker

I do like Holly too.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm just embarking on a 50's journey, the first CD bought was Ella Fitzgerald followed by Doris Day and then Buddy Holly, as yet I have no plans for any Elvis purchases. Buddy does it for me, I really like his songs.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Probably musical blasphemy but I don't like either.....I hate 50's rock n roll music.

Just to clean cut,lovey dovey and generally happy music.....soooooo not me.lol.

Same for me really. I was force-fed Elvis by my mother and Buddy by my father...... there was no other music. :)

It was a bit like being force-fed tapioca..... put me off for life.

D

Deleted member 108165

Andrewjvt said:
Sorry but its depressing **** for me

I've heard your taste in music Andrew, London Grammar is okay'ish but your other stuff is... well...*shok*

This forum proves it again and again how our music tastes differ, which is good *good*

I like tapioca *biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Buddy Holly fans will hate me for this, but by the onset of Beatle Mania and the shift away from 50s rockers, Buddy Holly would have found himself in the same wildernes as his peers such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Del Shannon, who by the mid 1970s were has-beens, condemed to a life of club-circuit rock 'n' roll revival evenings attended by middle-aged greasers still pulling brylcreem through their balding heads. Instead he was immortalised by tragedy at the peak of his career, but the reality is his days as a megastar were numbered.

Oh Major....

We will never know if Buddy have been a has been. (FYI I'm not a big Buddy fan, but he was more talented IMHO than Pelvis).

The fact remains that he was very influential - I think Macca has owned his music rights for years. Elton John, Hank Marvin, early Elvis Costello all wore thick-rimmed Buddy glasses.

Musically, The Stones covered a couple of his records. Buddy wrote, produced most of his songs - his style, unlike Elvis, changed from guitar-driven R&R tracks to orchestral stuff like 'True Love Ways'.

I suppose Elvis was the first, as we know it, manufactuered artist: His look and style was very carefully sculptured, whereas Holly didn't want any outside producer; He was a proper guitar player (Pelvis played the guitar, but mostly it was strung around his neck... redundant)

But no one will ever know.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

You can't compare Apple with Oranges. Different style, different attitude, different music, different heritage.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Probably musical blasphemy but I don't like either.....I hate 50's rock n roll music.

Just to clean cut,lovey dovey and generally happy music.....soooooo not me.lol.

Whislt I recognise that without them we probably wouldn't have a lot of the music that I do like, I don't like any 50s music with the possible exception of Johnny B Goode.
If forced to choose I'd go with Elvis simply because I can name quite a few of his songs, I'm struggling to think of any of Buddy Holly's, although if somebody named some I probably would know them

D

Deleted member 108165

Gaz37 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'm struggling to think of any of Buddy Holly's, although if somebody named some I probably would know them

I recently bought a Buddy Holly GH album and was surprised by how many I knew, I then loaned it to my sister and it has yet to find its way back to me *biggrin*

Some tracks are: That'll Be The Day, Heartbeat, Peggy Sue, Rave On, Oh Boy, to name but five *smile* There are many other tracks but I'd need the CD back to confirm their popularity.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
Gaz37 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I'm struggling to think of any of Buddy Holly's, although if somebody named some I probably would know them

I recently bought a Buddy Holly GH album and was surprised by how many I knew, I then loaned it to my sister and it has yet to find its way back to me *biggrin*

Some tracks are: That'll Be The Day, Heartbeat, Peggy Sue, Rave On, Oh Boy, to name but five *smile* There are many other tracks but I'd need the CD back to confirm their popularity.

Elvis did some great stuff - In the Ghetto - Suspicious Minds -

But Buddy! ......... Ok we're rollin' ............ Just you know why - Why you and I - True Love Ways (from the Master Tapes cd.

sheer magic - hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

tonky

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone watch the Buddy Holly Story when it was doing the rounds in the theatres about 20 years ago? Loved it. Of course it couldn't help but include his tragic demise, but it was all about celebrating his great music rather than moping his death. Dancing in the aisles at the end.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Anyone watch the Buddy Holly Story when it was doing the rounds in the theatres about 20 years ago? Loved it. Of course it couldn't help but include his tragic demise, but it was all about celebrating his great music rather than moping his death. Dancing in the aisles at the end.

Yep, I did, very good show, but not a patch on The Jersey Boys or Beautiful

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Elvis... vs wee Buddy ?

Away and chase youself.

Elvis wins hands down, easilly as well.

Even Buddy himself would have said... 'Elvis'

Buddy's songs were nice.... I have em all.... but he was NO Elvis.

My goodness.... get a grip of yourself man.

And Most of wee Buddy's tunes/songs/lyrics were ALL sad.

Sure he was a cracking musician ..... but NEVER near Elvis, come on.

I am a fortified Sinatra fan but Elvis even 'hits' him outta the ball-ring !

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I like them both in different ways, Elvis bought electricity, excitment and sex, Buddy Holly bought his music genius and my wife showed me the magic of Leonard Cohen. From frenzy to weeping...!

TRENDING THREADS