DCS Verdi transport

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have been looking at upgrading my transport. I wondered if anyone here has come across this CD transport. If so I would be interested in your views as to whether this machine will make a difference to my listening.

I may not be in a position to audition this o I will have to take a flyer. Not something I am very comfortable with but there is no other option.

regards all

A

Anonymous

Some people think that if your DAC is not jitter sensitive, the transport does not matter.

dCS do make some really high end DAC + transports that can sound wonderful though.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Very good indeed.

If you do go for one there is a audio centre that has an ex demo half price. I can point you in the right direction.

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Angelface

Thanks for you reply. I have formed the odd view that this is a similar debate to the "cable improves the sound" one. I auditioned a £100 cable and then compared it to a £500 one. I bought the £500 one.

I have heard the transport is irrelevant to the sound as the DAC does the work. However it appears that the very high end users have a differnet view to the lower to mid spec users, i.e it depends on what information the transport can pull from the CD.

Unlike the cable debate I have yet to audition this to satisfy my own ears but I am willing to believe this is not a simple case of transports merely feeding dots and dashes to the DAC. Logically this doesnt stack up

I could of course be wrong and few £k less richer.

Kind regards

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
chebby

Ace, thanks very much.

I know its am impossible question but do you beleive it will make a difference to my overall sound?

Regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess for £8000 (or £4000 ex demo) it would have to wouldn't it?

If it were my money i'd spend £1.6k on a top spec iMac 27" Quad core with 1TB drive, load everything losslessly onto iTunes and play back throught the QBD you already own. Even with 3 year Apple care cover and a 1TB backup drive you would have between £2k - £6k more money, more convenience, more flexibility, and - arguably - the same sound quality. (Oh, and a lovely computer instead of a boring transport.)

That would leave plenty of change for a nice holiday or some other system upgrade. (In fact a whole other system or two for other rooms.)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'm with chebby on this one. if i was going to get a cd transport for my dac i would want to compare it to the chord blu, does the dcs allow the dac to work at 24/192?

A

Anonymous

I see that you have a Chord QBD DAC. My personal experience with the QBD76 is that transports don't make any difference if you're using the max buffer setting on the DAC.

IMO, any CDROM drive will read the data from a disc perfectly unless: A: the disc is damaged and B: the drive is faulty. It's then down to the DAC design to get the best from that digital feed and the Chord QBD76 does an excellent job. By all means demo the DCS in your system but be very carefull about buying it before doing so.

millerman:
Hi

I have been looking at upgrading my transport. I wondered if anyone here has come across this CD transport. If so I would be interested in your views as to whether this machine will make a difference to my listening.

I may not be in a position to audition this o I will have to take a flyer. Not something I am very comfortable with but there is no other option.

regards all

Hi millerman

I think you should also consider Chord Electronics matching Blu transport. By using the Blu's dual data BNC outputs and the QBD76's dual BNC inputs you can use 176.4KHz sampling rate which completely transforms the performance of the QBD76. The Blu transport also negates the need to use the one or four second buffer on the QBD76 as the combination performs best in real time.

The QBD76 already produces superb results on its own however with the Blu transport the transformation of the performance of the QBD76 is simply a massive wake up call. The difference is obvious right across the board and one of the first things to hit the listener is the sheer weight, depth and punch in the bass (not that the QBD76 on its own is shy in this area).

I believe the QBD76 when used with the Blu transport produces a truly stunning performance and one which is very close (for me) to the reference performance produced by Chord Electronics own Red Reference MK2 cd player.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone,

My preference is the chord blue but it is out of my price range. I have a chance of the DCS Verdi 2nd hand for just less than 2K.

does this alter any adive given.

thanks again

A

Anonymous

I'm sure you'll notice improvements over the NAD and the rest of your system looks up to it. Not sure that you couldn't get a better transport than NAD for a lot less money. However if you've got the cash I won't wait until someone else snaps up that kind of bargain!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Second hand is always a punt but if you can see service records etc which can be checked with the company the risks are a lot lower.
dCS is a UK bassed company so should be easy to contact and find out about the machine and it's history. All you will need is the serial number.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I thought I will add some choices to your list. CEC belt drive is rather good transport and well worth a look, also Burmester and Audionet. good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts