David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Had a friend round a week or so ago and was loving listening to some 80's vinyl, she then pinched her parents collection to have a listen; this one was one that stood out to me!

An original pressing it’s had quite alot of use but it still sounds pretty great that’s for sure.

A few of us got in from seeing The Music last night and ended up drunkenly singing along to Starman, good times :D

Never considered myself a huge Bowie fan but this is magic, any other recommendations from Bowies earlier work?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
All of the 70s albums - The Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, "Heroes", Lodger, Scary Monsters - are among the best of the decade. After that it turns to dreck pretty swiftly.

Even 'Pin-Ups' is worth a listen, despite being a covers album.

A

Anonymous

yeh too right...70's the best for him. He's a bit of a legend the ol Bowie, I got some vinyl of his and it's a nice listen. Good stuff!

mrbungle:Had a friend round a week or so ago and was loving listening to some 80's vinyl, she then pinched her parents collection to have a listen; this one was one that stood out to me!

An original pressing it's had quite alot of use but it still sounds pretty great that's for sure.

A few of us got in from seeing The Music last night and ended up drunkenly singing along to Starman, good times :D

Never considered myself a huge Bowie fan but this is magic, any other recommendations from Bowies earlier work?

Try and locate a group called Tin Machine. It was fronted by Bowie and was quite heavy. Brilliant!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Try and locate a group called Tin Machine. It was fronted by Bowie and was quite heavy. Brilliant!

That sounds pretty interesting ill check it out :)

gpi:Tin Machine? you're avin a larf, aintcha.

Would I lie to you, Terry?. . .(as Arthur Daley would say)

Tin Machine produced two albums. They began in 1988 and disbanded in around (don't quote me on this) 1991. After that Bowie continued with his solo stuff.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
mrbungle:she then pinched her parents collection to have a listen

Having bought that album on the day of release, I now feel very old indeed.
emotion-7.gif

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:
mrbungle:she then pinched her parents collection to have a listen

Having bought that album on the day of release, I now feel very old indeed.
emotion-7.gif

I think on that particular day I was buying two penny chews from Dodd's with my tuppence weekly pocket money. I got such a hiding - I wasn't supposed to spend it all in the same shop.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:gpi:Tin Machine? you're avin a larf, aintcha.

Would I lie to you, Terry?. . .(as Arthur Daley would say)

Tin Machine produced two albums. They began in 1988 and disbanded in around (don't quote me on this) 1991. After that Bowie continued with his solo stuff.

Indeed. I have one of them and will have to give it a spin again but somehow doubt the passing of time will have improved it.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
It's a shame the current masterings are awful, those RCA LP's and CDs are worth seeking out.
Although my 80's RCA Cd of Ziggy has a bit of tape drop out, I'll take that over bright and harsh anyday.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Lost Angeles:Andrew you must a been about 10 then. (Or the photo lies)

Not quite - but thanks for the flattery.

He still looks 10!
emotion-3.gif
emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
lonely boy:It's a shame the current masterings are awful, those RCA LP's and CDs are worth seeking out. Although my 80's RCA Cd of Ziggy has a bit of tape drop out, I'll take that over bright and harsh anyday.

Yep, the RCA recordings sound good. When the LP`s were re-issued in gatefold sleeves I bought them all faithfully on the day of release. They went all the way up to and including `Scary Monsters` with their re-issues both on CD and LP. When I went into my local record store to complete my collection with `Scary Monsters` I was informed that it wouldn`t be coming out on LP. To say I was not amused would have been an understatement! Who on earth made the decision to release them all on vinyl except for the last one? Out of order!

Sorry, just needed to get that out.

By the way, they are all worth buying up to 1980. `Ziggy` and `Aladdin Sane` are my favourites.

Just a quick mention about Tin Machine. I can remember driving listening to the radio one evening when the first Tin Machine album was about to be released. The DJ or radio presenter as I call them nowadays played a track and he got such a fantastic reaction from people phoning the radio station that he played the same track a second time within about ten or fifteen minutes of playing it the first time. I thought we were about to witness the second coming of Bowie but it obviously didn`t turn out that way. Got the first album on tape somewhere. Must dig it out and give it a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts