David Bowie has died

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Maybe the problem with many modern artists (artists new the the scene this century, let's say for argument), if there is indeed a problem, is perhaps their public image is so controlled, refined and managed to perfection that young fans don't get chance to feel afinity with any real person behind the highly polished plastic outer shell. It could be anyone filling the shoes because it's the end product that maybe youngsters feel afinity towards, not the person acting out the part. So maybe what this young lad on FB was saying is when the real person dies, he/his generation won't really feel grief because they never even began to feel they knew the person behind the mask.

Artists in the "old days" also had their public image controlled. There are lots of music artists around these days who could not give a rats ass what you thought of them. Mr Rob zombie springs to mind. You "old" people have with rose tinted specs on when it comes to the past.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
drummerman said:
Your post summises precisely what I dont like about this celebrity idolism/worship.

Bowie's influence on music over the last 30 years or more is immeasureable, so I can't express in words how much I admire him, and how much his presence wll be missed; but I do not even have a favourite artist, let alone worship or idolise one.

Very true. People seem to forget he was a great actor to. If I remember rightly he disowned is mid 80's albums.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Covenanter said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
MrReaper182 said:
There are lots. How about Trent Reznor or Marliyn Manson (both influenced by Bowie) or Mark Everett (E from the Eles). These people will be talked about long after I'm dead and forgoten.

I'm not sure they're even talked about now, are they?

+1 - never heard of Trent Reznor or Mark Everett.

Chris

+2. Never heard of them.

As for Maryln Manson - I've heard of him of course but he's hardly what you'd call an icon like Bowie or Lennon.

Well then you and Chris need a musical education. Mark Everett is a musical genius. As for Manson love him or hate him he's been a icon for million of kids the world over. He has had Hollywood legend Jonny Depp play guitar for him at one of this live shows.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Artists in the "old days" also had their public image controlled. There are lots of music artists around these days who could not give a rats ass what you thought of them. Mr Rob zombie springs to mind. You "old" people have with rose tinted specs on when it comes to the past.

I posted a possible reason as to why the FB poster I quoted feels the way he feels about modern artists, and why he feels his opinion is typical of his peers. Both assumptions/ideas maybe wrong. I did not post my personal opinion that I believe to be true. I'm not sure I could have written it in a way that made it more explicitly obvious that I wasn't giving a personal opinion, or expressed any rose-tined beliefs either way. If we're going down the path of stereotyping people by age, you "young" people should perhaps learn to read.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
MrReaper182 said:

I posted a possible reason as to why the FB poster I quoted feels the way he feels about modern artists, and why he feels his opinion is typical of his peers. Both assumptions/ideas maybe wrong. I did not post my personal opinion that I believe to be true. I'm not sure I could have written it in a way that made it more explicitly obvious that I wasn't giving a personal opinion, or expressed any rose-tined beliefs either way. If we're going down the path of stereotyping people by age, you "young" people should perhaps learn to read.

Sorry Major, there was no harm ment.

I simply get annyed with older people talking about how things were better in the past (especially when it comes to music) because growing up living with my grandparents I know it was not. There are 7 billion people in the world and some people (manily older people) believe that all those people are incapable of making really good music like they had when they were younger which is just stupid. I will learn to read better in the future Major.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Sorry Major, there was no harm ment.

I simply get annyed with older people talking about how things were better in the past (especially when it comes to music) because growing up living with my grandparents I know it was not. There are 7 billion people in the world and some people (manily older people) believe that all those people are incapable of making really good music like they had when they were younger which is just stupid. I will learn to read better in the future Major.

No worries lol. Maybe you just get fed up hearing older people tell you how great the world was before we got to see in colour in 1970 that you instantly thought that was where I was heading, but trust me I was not coming from that direction. I was just expressing some ideas as to why the FB poster feels disconnected from modern artists, but I don't know his thoughts so it's complete conjecture.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
steve_1979 said:
Covenanter said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
MrReaper182 said:
There are lots. How about Trent Reznor or Marliyn Manson (both influenced by Bowie) or Mark Everett (E from the Eles). These people will be talked about long after I'm dead and forgoten.

I'm not sure they're even talked about now, are they?

+1 - never heard of Trent Reznor or Mark Everett.

Chris

+2. Never heard of them.

As for Maryln Manson - I've heard of him of course but he's hardly what you'd call an icon like Bowie or Lennon.

Well then you and Chris need a musical education. Mark Everett is a musical genius.

He might well be but when he records under a pseudonym as part of a band you can't exactly blame people for not knowing his real name, much like 90% of people probably don't know Bono's real name and Eels are nothing like as successful as U2 are (and no, that doesn't mean I'm claiming Bono is a musical genius before any moron tries to put that interpretation on it).

As for Manson love him or hate him he's been a icon for million of kids the world over. He has had Hollywood legend Jonny Depp  play guitar for him at one of this live shows.

Perhaps but he's still had more success with crappy cover versions than with any of his original material and you can't exactly call him original, musically speaking.

Reznor had a brief period where he created something interesting, Broken/Fixed was good stuff but he doesn't seem to have moved on, or hadn't at any rate, I gave up when The Downward Spiral proved to be more of the same. A one trick pony.

matthewpiano

Bowie was unusual even for his generation. Few of his contemporaries who have been big stars have been as consistently creative and searching as Bowie. His work wasn't always even (whose is?), but he was never an artist who kept treading the same path. Most other big names have made essentially the same album more than once, or had periods where they stopped being creative and simply churned material out to fulfil contracts.

Here and now, mainstream society places a relatively low value on music, seeing it as disposable, and more intrinsically linked with passing trends than ever. Those who make it as big stars now are generally the ones who fit in with the passing fad of the moment, and they aren't the best arbiter of what is really happening. This has always been the case to a certain extent with the exception of a handful like Bowie, but is even more so now. That doesn't mean there isn't great new music being created. There are some fantastically talented musicians out there today, writing, performing and recording. It just takes an open mind and some willing exploration to find them. The same could be said for fiction. There are some great novels of the past and it would be easy to lionise them as being superior to anything being written today, but that would be unfair. There is some wonderful new stuff on the shelves of bookshelves if you are willing to spend the time investigating.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I only like about 2 or 3 of his songs a little but fullrespect for the man who has helped many upcomming bands/artists such as placebo

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have, over the last few days, trawled his music on Tidal.

Must admit, there are a few albums, mostly mid/later career, that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

I am not generally a pop music listener but some of his work is left field enough for me to like.

Perhaps I have misjudged the man and his music.

drummerman said:

Must admit, there are a few albums, mostly mid/later career, that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

I am not generally a pop music listener but some of his work is left field enough for me to like.

Try and listen to the album 'Hunky Dory'... with the lights out. It is the most atmospheric album one could wish to hear. This album is probably the only LP from my whole collection I can listen from start to finish. Every track brings something different to the table.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had and enjoyed hunky dory for nearly ten years now, and I've liked all his albums since hours (ie his more recent stuff...last 17 years). Always loved let's dance. But loads of albums I hadn't heard. Like many I've been listening a lot last couple of weeks. Standout albums for me from those I'd not heard before are, Ziggy stardust, aladdin sane, and station to station. Timeless music. Surely must all be genuinely worthy of humanities top 100 musical albums??!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Bowie was unusual even for his generation. Few of his contemporaries who have been big stars have been as consistently creative and searching as Bowie. His work wasn't always even (whose is?), but he was never an artist who kept treading the same path. Most other big names have made essentially the same album more than once, or had periods where they stopped being creative and simply churned material out to fulfil contracts.

Here and now, mainstream society places a relatively low value on music, seeing it as disposable, and more intrinsically linked with passing trends than ever. Those who make it as big stars now are generally the ones who fit in with the passing fad of the moment, and they aren't the best arbiter of what is really happening. This has always been the case to a certain extent with the exception of a handful like Bowie, but is even more so now. That doesn't mean there isn't great new music being created. There are some fantastically talented musicians out there today, writing, performing and recording. It just takes an open mind and some willing exploration to find them. The same could be said for fiction. There are some great novels of the past and it would be easy to lionise them as being superior to anything being written today, but that would be unfair. There is some wonderful new stuff on the shelves of bookshelves if you are willing to spend the time investigating.

If you take away the music Bowie made in the 70's and early 80's and only left the world with the music he made after that time no one would remember him. He was in a film called Labyrinth in the mid 80's ( I'm not a huge Bowie fan but I love that film) but no matter how good the film was it still floped. Where were his fans then? I'm guessing because he was not being taked about in the mainstream as much no one gave a damn. The truh is most people like only what the mainstream media tell them to like and if they are not being taked about in mainstream media then they could not care less.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I only like about 2 or 3 of his songs a little but fullrespect for the man who has helped many upcomming bands/artists such as placebo

He was friend of Radio legend John Peel until he became to big of a person to be seen with him for some reason John was always sad that Bowie stopped being his freind when he became a big star.

manicm

MrReaper182 said:
matthewpiano said:
Bowie was unusual even for his generation.  Few of his contemporaries who have been big stars have been as consistently creative and searching as Bowie.  His work wasn't always even (whose is?), but he was never an artist who kept treading the same path.  Most other big names have made essentially the same album more than once, or had periods where they stopped being creative and simply churned material out to fulfil contracts.

Here and now, mainstream society places a relatively low value on music, seeing it as disposable, and more intrinsically linked with passing trends than ever.  Those who make it as big stars now are generally the ones who fit in with the passing fad of the moment, and they aren't the best arbiter of what is really happening.  This has always been the case to a certain extent with the exception of a handful like Bowie, but is even more so now.  That doesn't mean there isn't great new music being created.  There are some fantastically talented musicians out there today, writing, performing and recording.  It just takes an open mind and some willing exploration to find them.  The same could be said for fiction.  There are some great novels of the past and it would be easy to lionise them as being superior to anything being written today, but that would be unfair.  There is some wonderful new stuff on the shelves of bookshelves if you are willing to spend the time investigating.

?

If you take away the music Bowie made in the 70's and early 80's and only left the world with the music he made after that time no one would remember him. He was in a film called Labyrinth in the mid 80's ( I'm not a huge Bowie fan but I love that film) but no matter how good the film was it still floped. Where were his fans then? I'm guessing because he was not being taked about in the mainstream as much no one gave a damn. The truh is most people like only what the mainstream media tell them to like and if they are not being taked about in mainstream media then they could not care less.

You may as well say ignore the Beatles from 63 to 70 and they won't be remembered. Your logic is baffling to say the least. Bowie's entire body of work from 70 to 80 was nothing short of astounding, and will thus always be remembered.

His last 4 albums do not cater to the mainstream, and so what? Heathen and Reality were excellent.

manicm

drummerman said:

Strongly recommended for you from what I glean:

The obvious Low/Heroes.
The Man Who Sold The World.
Station To Station.
Scary Monsters And Super Creeps (excellent, and rocks hard, Bowie wrings out the best from Robert Fripp).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts