Dave Dac is a cracker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Infiniteloop said:
ellisdj said:
I want it all - no ifs no butts that why spent so much money on all this stuff - I dont want any left behind otherwise its been a waste of money buying the disc to only hear 85% of it

They dont offer me any discount for less than 100%

Maybe the artist and recording engineers never intended you to hear 100%, or were never aware that you would ever be able to.

Doesn't that mean that the 'extra' you're getting is actually detrimental to the intended musical message?

I think you took me too liberally there - that was meant light hearted in jest.

But still I want to hear everything clearly and if my system brings stuff out that even the mastering engineer didnt hear then I have spent my money well

Apologies. - That's the problem with these forums, not much scope for nuance..*blush*

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I want it all - no ifs no butts that why spent so much money on all this stuff - I dont want any left behind otherwise its been a waste of money buying the disc to only hear 85% of it 

Now that you mention that I suggest to have a listen to the Beolab 90. It's designed to be the best B&O could make, cost no object. Haven't heard it myself, but according to some reviews has imaging 2nd to none and easily adepts to your home acoustics. For me too expensive, but I'm sure the tech will trickle down in a few years.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
ellisdj said:
Infiniteloop said:
ellisdj said:

Maybe the artist and recording engineers never intended you to hear 100%, or were never aware that you would ever be able to.

Doesn't that mean that the 'extra' you're getting is actually detrimental to the intended musical message?

I think you took me too liberally there - that was meant light hearted in jest.

But still I want to hear everything clearly and if my system brings stuff out that even the mastering engineer didnt hear then I have spent my money well

Apologies. - That's the problem with these forums, not much scope for nuance..*blush*
No need to apologise for that dude - sorry myself if I made you feel you needed to.

All the best

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

I dont think its about too much detail at all - if its in the recording we should hear it.

Why not? A good amp/dac/speaker etc with low distortion/jitter whatever will reveal all the hidden details missing from so many other systems without sounding edgy or harsh.

If your hifi equipment is hidding the detail somethings wrong surely?

I dont buy into this studio monitor sound v hifi speaker sound.

Can you imagine the recording engineers saying 'yes this sounds **** but once its being played on a hifi speaker it will balance out' or 'ok ok ive checked no mistakes on this recording... now please switch it off, i cant take it any more'

Id also recommend you compare the hegel hd30 dac also. From reading the reviews it looks like it could be right up your alley.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
ellisdj said:

Now that you mention that I suggest to have a listen to the Beolab 90. It's designed to be the best B&O could make, cost no object. Haven't heard it myself, but according to some reviews has imaging 2nd to none and easily adepts to your home acoustics. For me too expensive, but I'm sure the tech will trickle down in a few years.

The tech is reliant on the speaker having about 20 drivers per speaker. I can't ever see that trickling down to being affordable to be honest

Amazingly over engineered solution to room acoustic problems but I bet it's great.
Love to hear them but too rich for me.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

I dont think its about too much detail at all - if its in the recording we should hear it.

Why not? A good amp/dac/speaker etc with low distortion/jitter whatever will reveal all the hidden details missing from so many other systems without sounding edgy or harsh.

Can you imagine the recording engineers saying 'yes this sounds **** but once its being played on a hifi speaker it will balance out' or 'ok ok ive checked no mistakes on this recording... now please switch it off, i cant take it any more'

Id also recommend you compare the hegel hd30 dac also. From reading the reviews it looks like it could be right up your alley.

I think a good well balanced system should, as you both say, reveal everything. However, the context in which that detail is presented is (IMHO) key to how "good" a system is. Detail retrieval, imaging, separation, dynamics etc. really is only half the package. Missing the right level of musicality, timbre and atmosphere to compliment that detail can render such an uber analytical hifi in to nothing more than a clever box which makes very clear, lifeless sounds, that I feel is territory in which a lot of Hifi can be located. Truly great hifi treads the middle ground...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

I think a good well balanced system should, as you both say, reveal everything. However, the context in which that detail is presented is (IMHO) key to how "good" a system is. Detail retrieval, imaging, separation, dynamics etc. really is only half the package. Missing the right level of musicality, timbre and atmosphere to compliment that detail can render such an uber analytical hifi in to nothing more than a clever box which makes very clear, lifeless sounds, that I feel is territory in which a lot of Hifi can be located. Truly great hifi treads the middle ground...
You could not have said it better. When detail is triumphant over everything else you loose realism. You only have to be in a recording studio & listen to unamplified instruments played together as whole to know some details are overemphasized in most hifi systems. A band in real life does not sound like that.

Having said that, everyone seeks different ways how music is presented to their ears.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

You could not have said it better. When detail is triumphant over everything else you loose realism. You only have to be in a recording studio & listen to unamplified instruments played together as whole to know some details are overemphasized in most hifi systems. A band in real life does not sound like that.

Having said that, everyone seeks different ways how music is presented to their ears. 

I agree that poorly designed kit that puts detail above all else can do that but

Well designed kit will reveal all the hidden details without all the negitive sq you talk about it does not have to be one or the other. All it needs is just ulta low distortion.

Audition a hegel hd30 dac with similar electronics and see for your self. I get this even with the cheaper h360.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
ellisdj said:
I can imagine plugging the Dave into a pair of Chord monoblocks - plugged into 2 Kef Reference 3's which I really really like, in a good room and being lit up witth the quality

I heard the Dave through a pair of Chord monoblocks at a dealers fairly recently. I can't recall the transport feeding it but it was into Dynaudio Confidence C4 speakers.

I wasn't there to audition anything as expensive, this kit was obviously the centre-piece of the listening room and so was playing while my audition was prepared. I disliked it to the point I'd turn it down everytime the salesman left the room. We all have our preferences so I'm not saying anything bad about any of the equipment, but that combo was too brittle a presentation for me.

I often do that but I'm nearly always left to my own devices so tend to adjust the volume to my taste (downwards). I personally wasn't hugely struck with the hugo TT that I borrowed for a few days - I just wasn't convinced it sounded natural to my ears.

On a more general note - if a system reveals detail without chromium plating it - it's simply doing its job in my book. I have a "revealing" setup compared to 6 months ago & am happy with my choices. Sometimes a less detailed system will sound better with certain recordings - that down to poor mastering.

I've owned systems where nothing sounded poor - it just made everything sound a wee bit bland. It's the quality of the recording that has the greatest effect, whether the medium be vinyl, CD, off iTunes, Tidal etc.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
to spend I'd probably invest that into some speakers...which is what ellisdj has recently done. When I last updated my system, my partner played, as a reference, Songbird by Fleetwood Mac from Rumours. She was mesmerised; I realised there was something about this track in the way it was recorded but didn't hit on it straight away. Another listen revealed all, but I'm not going to say what it is, I'd be interested to see if the WHF forum can figure it out. If a £450 Arcam DAC can reveal that, I'm not convinced a DAVE is the way to go.. and neither did ellisdj.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I can't incorporate a stand alone dac into my system because I run an av system for music so an av processor instead of a dac

Otherwise if I had the cash I would be home demoing one straight away

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Native_bon said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

I agree that poorly designed kit that puts detail above all else can do that but

Well designed kit will reveal all the hidden details without all the negitive sq you talk about it does not have to be one or the other. All it needs is just ulta low distortion.

Audition a hegel hd30 dac with similar electronics and see for your self. I get this even with the cheaper h360.
i agee with andrew's comments a well put togeather hifi would be my way of spending £8000 not on a dave dac .

the arcam irdac the first one not the irdac 2 would be just as good as the dave i think ? not that ive heard the dave dac so i could be wrong here .

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Native_bon said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:

i agee with andrew's comments a well put togeather hifi would be my way of spending £8000 not on a dave dac .

the arcam irdac the first one not the irdac 2 would be just as good as the dave i think ? not that ive heard the dave dac so i could be wrong here .

You are :)

TRENDING THREADS