DAV IS10 Sub location - problems

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I have the above system, along with the KDL 40W4000 TV, bought on the recommendation of WHS&V mag. Followed the setup procedure in the manual.

Finally got the room layout sorted after moving house but I'm having problems getting the performance anything like the "epic" described in the review. TV is in a corner of a room which measures 4m by 8m. Whilst it says in Sony literature that the sub can be placed behind a sofa, the review in the mag mentions that it actually needs to be as close to the front speakers as possible. Has anyone got experience of how critical this is?

I'm pretty disappointed with its performance so far - the whole thing sounds lacking in clarity and definition, and there is very little thump from the sub.

How critical is the sub location in your experience, and how much fiddling have people done to get it sounding right? I get the feeling that the front speakers may need to be much further apart, with the sub sat right between them, but this will mean putting the TV along a flat wall rather than in the corner which I don't want to do if at all possible.

Would appreciate some comments before it goes on Ebay...

Cheers, Lloyd

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Don't stick it on ebay just yet... it is a great sounding system for its size, but because of the speaker size, there's some things you need to be aware of when placing it - mainly that the 'sub' also handles a lot of the mid-range, so unlike subs in general this one is somewhat directional.ÿÿMy setup is easier, since we have the screen hung on the centre of a flat wall, but the fronts are wider spaced than would be ideal, because we wanted them pushed to the corners for aesthetic reasons. The 'sub' is to the left of a long low piece of furniture that sits below and to the left of the screen right now, again to move it out of line of sight, and this is not ideal at all - to the extent that I'm going to move it to the right side of that piece of furniture so that the sub is pretty much front and centre.ÿÿThat having been said, it still sounds pretty good right now for what it is and there's plenty of thump (admittedly the 'room' - it's actually the 'living room' area of our open-plan ground floor - isn't massive at about 4.5m x 5.5m). ÿBear in mind you need to turn it up to about 60, which is bizarre but works fine!ÿAnyways, I'd definitely look to put the sub closer to the TV and between the front speakers, if you can. ÿÿHope it works out.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Sticking it on Ebay is a bit tongue in cheek - I've been playing a bit and have just bought a proper corner stand which means the sub is now much closer than it was with everything on a much bigger piece of furniture. It does sound much improved if I crank it up a bit but the sub is a big old box that doesn't fit well with a corner setup.

Separates, using my lovely old floorstanders and with a sub in another corner of the room is appealing, but the whole thing, with conventional centre and rears becomes a much more dominating prescence in the room again, which I was trying to move away from by getting the IS10.

Ho Hum...

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
blackalex1969:
Sticking it on Ebay is a bit tongue in cheek - I've been playing a bit and have just bought a proper corner stand which means the sub is now much closer than it was with everything on a much bigger piece of furniture. It does sound much improved if I crank it up a bit but the sub is a big old box that doesn't fit well with a corner setup.

Separates, using my lovely oldÿfloorstanders and with a sub in another corner of the room is appealing, but the whole thing, with conventional centreÿand rears becomes a much more dominating prescence in the room again, which I was trying to move away from by gettingÿthe IS10.

Ho Hum...

ÿ

Yep, separates will certainly sound better, but don't always look so great, which is sometimes important in your main living space. The genius of the DAV-IS10 to me is that it's practically invisible, except of course for the enormous MDF box that has to sit somewhere pretty near the screen!!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
blackalex1969:

Separates, using my lovely old floorstanders and with a sub in another corner of the room is appealing, but the whole thing, with conventional centre and rears becomes a much more dominating prescence in the room again, which I was trying to move away from by getting the IS10.

Ho Hum...

To be fair to the Sony package, your room is far too big for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts