Dali Zensor 3

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has heard the Dali Zensor 3 paired with Marantz 6004 amp/cd. Are these speakers better than,for example, Wharfedale 10.1 or MA BX2's? Thanks in advance.

Schubertplant5

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the speakers of Dali, i like the sound. My dad has the Epicon 2 with the 2020 Denon en i've got the ikon 5 MK2 with the rotel RA-12. I've heart different kind of speakers, like B&W, KEF R series, but the dali's sound the best to me. It is all personal taste and also the combination, speaker and amplifier, is very important.

My advise is go to your local store who sell's these speakers and try them there is good value for money but it all depends on the end on taste.

matthewpiano

Not heard them with the Marantz but I own Zensor 3s and have owned Diamonds and BX2s in the past, amongst many others. Personally I think the Zensor 3s are incredible and actually better than the B&W 685s and KEF Q300s I've owned. Very fine speakers indeed.

Book an audition and try with your amp to see if they suit you.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Zensor 3s for about 2 months now. I initially went in to audition the zensor 1 but found them lacking a bit of bass for my taste. I also tried out the BX2 which to me sounded small compared with the Dali, by small I mean the sound stage was small and they just seemed a bit lifeless and wooden with no real verve to them.

The wharfedale 121 were also good but couldn't keep up with the pace and agility of the Dalis when it came to fast paced rhythms.

I love my Zensor 3, try them I don't think you will be disappointed!

Schubertplant5

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
Schubertplant5 said:
My dad ....

Have you tried comparing the Epicons to your Ikon in the same setup?

I've heard the Epicon 2 but way out of my price range, not sure how Dali's other models compare.

No i only tried the epicons with the Denon PMA 2020ae and the DCD 2020, with audioquest rocket 88 speakercable and v/d hul interlink. Thats my fathers setup.

My setup is like in my signature Ikon 5 mk2 with RA-12 rotel amplifier and v/d hul The bay interlink, Denon DCD 1500ae, and v/d hul artic speakercable.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Garett said:
The wharfedale 121 were also good but couldn't keep up with the pace and agility of the Dalis when it came to fast paced rhythms.

I made pretty much the same decision as you, home auditioned the Zensor 1's, really liked them, but not quite enough bass for my liking, so ended up exchanging them for the Wharfdale 121's. But now seriously thinking of getting some Zensor 3's, if these had been available earlier in the year I'm sure I would have gone for them straight away. So, do you think it's worth the upgrade from the 121's?

matthewpiano

paddyb, I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. The Dalis will give you a bigger sense of scale and even more detail than the Wharfedales, but perhaps not quite the same sense of cohesiveness which has long been a strength of the Diamond range. I'd suggest an audition!

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
paddyb, I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. The Dalis will give you a bigger sense of scale and even more detail than the Wharfedales, but perhaps not quite the same sense of cohesiveness which has long been a strength of the Diamond range. I'd suggest an audition!

Thanks Matthew. I've already gone one step further than that actually, I've reserved a pair at Richer Sounds as I have a "£50 off any speaker package" VIP Club voucher that expires next week, couldn't resist! Will pick them up midweek and try then at home and they'll give me a refund if i'm not happy.

More detail and scale sounds like what I'm looking for, but I have trouble with all the jargon connected with Hi Fi, especially speakers. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "cohesiveness" and in the WHF review, the only negative they had was that they lacked a little "refinement", I don't know how this would be different from "detail", nor exactly what the difference is between "authority" and "scale", I think this means a more expensive, "bigger" (no not necessarily louder) sound but might be completely wrong!

matthewpiano

paddyb said:
matthewpiano said:

Thanks Matthew. I've already gone one step further than that actually, I've reserved a pair at Richer Sounds as I have a "£50 off any speaker package" VIP Club voucher that expires next week, couldn't resist! Will pick them up midweek and try then at home and they'll give me a refund if i'm not happy.

More detail and scale sounds like what I'm looking for, but I have trouble with all the jargon connected with Hi Fi, especially speakers. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "cohesiveness" and in the WHF review, the only negative they had was that they lacked a little "refinement", I don't know how this would be different from "detail", nor exactly what the difference is between "authority" and "scale", I think this means a more expensive, "bigger" (no not necessarily louder) sound but might be completely wrong!

Do you know what? Don't worry about the words! You've got the best possible opportunity to se if they are right for you and your room. If they give you the sound you are seeking, then job done. Then it really won't matter what words people choose to describe them. Will be interested to hear how you get on with them.

Interestingly I pulled my Diamond 9.1s out for a couple of hours this afternoon just to give them a run again. They are great little speakers but I soon found myself missing the Dalis!

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
paddyb said:
Garett said:

I made pretty much the same decision as you, home auditioned the Zensor 1's, really liked them, but not quite enough bass for my liking, so ended up exchanging them for the Wharfdale 121's. But now seriously thinking of getting some Zensor 3's, if these had been available earlier in the year I'm sure I would have gone for them straight away. So, do you think it's worth the upgrade from the 121's?

I was impressed the wharfedales especially for the money, they are £70 cheaper than the zensor 3 RRP. I don't know what type of music you are into but one of the songs I chose to audition was Jeff Buckleys Dream Brother off Grace. Its a very busy and fast paced song and a real test for a speaker with some very heavy, almost distorted bass guitar. Comparing the zensor 3 with the wharfedale back to back the zensors just held everything together whereas the wharfedales got a bit lost and muddy. I was listening very critically though so if you were listening casually you probably wouldn't notice!

For me the zensor 3 was a clear winner against the wharfedales, audition a pair and decide for yourself.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're right of course. It’s just good to get an idea of how different highly regarded speakers sound and how this fits with what I like in a speaker, so I can home in on just a few models to audition.

These sound pretty unbeatable at the price, which is about as high as I want to go.

I've also home trailed the Kef Q100's, which I found more detailed than the 121's and had more bass, but something grated slightly with the treble, they didn't have the listenability factor that several people have mentioned in regards to the Zensor 3's (and also I was hoping to get them down to £300 as they were ex demo, but they wouldn't budge on price). So, you rating the Dali’s over the bigger Q300’s makes me even more interested in getting these home and slapping some music on.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're right of course. It’s just good to get an idea of how different highly regarded speakers sound and how this fits with what I like in a speaker, so I can home in on just a few models to audition.

These sound pretty unbeatable at the price, which is about as high as I want to go.

I've also home trailed the Kef Q100's, which I found more detailed than the 121's and had more bass, but something grated slightly with the treble, they didn't have the listenability factor that several people have mentioned in regards to the Zensor 3's (and also I was hoping to get them down to £300 as they were ex demo, but they wouldn't budge on price). So, you rating the Dali’s over the bigger Q300’s makes me even more interested in getting these home and slapping some music on.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Pretty good. The bass is still there at low levels.

Obviously, like most speakers, they come to life with a few more watts, but they still keep their character at the quieter end of things...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts