Dali Zensor 3 speaker upgrade

grilli4nt

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello. I've had the Dali Zensor 3 paired with a NAD D3020 for about 5 years and I have been really happy. Wanted to up the game a bit and also include music streaming in a convenient way so just purchased the Powernode 2i from Bluesound. Just tried it for a couple of hours and so far really happy with it, I feel the sound in the Zensors are better, more separated, with more distinct bass and clearer highs as a result of it.

The next step however is to look at upgrading the speakers too, and the dealer I buy from mainly has B&W and Dali in their store, so preferably I would be looking at those brands but obviously possible to buy other brands too. I've been looking at B&W 606 s2 so far as well as glancing at the more expensive model 706 s2. I know it's up to me and what sounds good to me, but I am very much a beginner here and would like some expert opinion to whether the change from Zensor 3 to 606 s2 should give me a noticeable bump in sound experience? And the same if I take a bigger leap and move towards 706 s2? Any other ideas? In general, what would you recommend here? I'd like to keep the speaker budget to below 1000EUR but I can stretch it to 1.5 if justified!

Thanks in advance!

grilli4nt

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi. Besides the 606/706 and Dali Oberon 5, I'd demo Focal Chora 806 and Acoustic Energy stuff. Oh, and the Revel Concerta 2 M16.
Many thanks! Listened to 606 and 706 today as well as Dali's in the same price range and 706 sounded best. Will look into see if I can demo some of the options you provided!
I have a problem with space, and in my current flat there is no real option but having the speakers in the corners. I can have them about a feet off but thats all. I've seen threads about instead getting front ported speakers, any out there with same quality? For the zensors I've had I think it's been manageable, with some boom but still OK.

grilli4nt

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Are those the S2 versions of the 606/706 you heard?
Yes, the 606 s2 anniversary and 706 s2. Listened to a few samples of songs (really I would've needed to listen more) but it was clear to me the 706 s2 had a much more controlled sound especially mids/highs, where the 606 s2 had much harsher highs and less prominent mids.

606's still sounded well but leaning towards the 706's..

rainsoothe

Yes, the 606 s2 anniversary and 706 s2. Listened to a few samples of songs (really I would've needed to listen more) but it was clear to me the 706 s2 had a much more controlled sound especially mids/highs, where the 606 s2 had much harsher highs and less prominent mids.

606's still sounded well but leaning towards the 706's..
You really need to audition in your own space before committing, the B&W are particularly strong in the bass department, so back wall proximity might be very problematic, let alone corner placement. Actually Focal Aria 906 fit your budget I think, and might be more appropriate. But try to audition in your room. From my experience, slot loading also behaves ok with wall proximity, so maybe Acoustic Energy stuff, or sealed designs like Spendor A1.

grilli4nt

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
You really need to audition in your own space before committing, the B&W are particularly strong in the bass department, so back wall proximity might be very problematic, let alone corner placement. Actually Focal Aria 906 fit your budget I think, and might be more appropriate. But try to audition in your room. From my experience, slot loading also behaves ok with wall proximity, so maybe Acoustic Energy stuff, or sealed designs like Spendor A1.
Thanks. I'm on my way to listen to the Focal Aria 906's, seems I can get a pair for around 1k EUR which would be OK I guess. Spent some time on tying to find out what slot loading is, am I right that it's some kind of front ported speaker?

Which Acoustic Energy can you recommend with the amp I have? Would the AE 500 be an option? Seems they are roughly 1k as well, a bit more.

grilli4nt

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Update. Just went and tested KEF LS50 Meta, Dynaudio Evoke 10, Audiovector QR1 and Focal Aria 906 at the dealer in a small room where he deliberately pushed the speakers up close to the wall (just like in my flat, about 15 cm off the wall) and after a couple of hours listening to many songs I decided to go for the Aria's. They sounded best and most balanced, especially with the bass on the back-ported LS50 and Evoke 10 being to boomy. Prior to this test I've already tried 606 s2 and 706 s2 but as rainsoothe pointed out, these will most likely be too boomy for my flat especially if they are strong in the bass compartment.

I brought my own amp for the testing today (Powernode 2i) and also the B&Ws tested at the first dealer ran them with the Powernode, so the tests are accurate in that sense.

I'm really stoked to get the Aria's, they arrive in a few days, will provide an update then as well after testing them in my flat.

Thanks for all help so far!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts