Dali Zensor 1 not enough bass

gasolin

I have as you can see in my signature a set of dali zensor 1, they have a smooth tweeter an a open midrange, very good speakers, but theres not much bass, i think theres enough when i play modern electronic music with lots of bass, in fact if the bass where that loud with pop,rock music i would be happy (but there isn't), i think the max level i can't play is more then enough, the size and the price is good, the level of bass is just a bit mediocre.

Someone in the Denon D-M38DAB speaker suggestion thread wrote I always run a flat eq, mainly because the m38 only has bass and treble adjustments and they colour the sound.

I tried to enhance the bass and it sounds like the sound is colored and personally i did not found it to sound better if i enhanced the bass (i am also someone who's leaving the eq's at neutral and enjoy the different genre and sound they have)

As you can se here in a german review it starts to fall at 200hz, -3 db is at 85 hz and somting like 40-45 hz is-10db

http://www.hifiklubben.com/files/Test/Dali/201110-STEREO_ZENSOR_1_UND_7.pdf

Here in another german review it looks like it has alot of bas down to 100hz and -3 db could be as low as 70hz (did they measure it on a wall?)

http://www.hifiklubben.com/files/Test/Dali/201110_AUDIO_ZENSOR1.pdf

Once had a subwoofer with 2x8" woofers and there for i know how it is, not being able to adjust a subwoofer perfect (don't want a subwoofer), my subwoofer for my tv is just a simple passive one with a few adjustments, so it's not that difficult to adjust it (just an okay cheap surround system that's with better sound then the speakers in my tv).

I have thought about the Q Acoustics 2020i if i want more bass, the 2010i costs 699, the 2020i 799 (a piece,for one) both with free delivery, the non white dali zensor 1 costs 849 (white ones 999) 100€ is about 750 (i live in demark)

If i want more bass (not a subwoofer) is the Q Acoustic 2020i the only reasonably priced alternativ to Dali Zensor 1's? (although i found them to be very deep in size compared to the dali's)

I don't leve near a town where i can listen to Q Acoustic, Monitor audio (bx2's to expensive), tannoy's, wharfdale.

I did have some other danish speakers befor the dali's (system audio saxo1) that dispite them only having a 4" woofer, they had a very deep bass and powerfull (loud) bass but with modern electronic music with the volume at 30 out of 60 i reached there bas limited(not a problem at all with the dali's), that was not good enough (i think i only have max 2x80 watt in 4 ohm, although they could handle 80watts they where not for electronic music with in there power limiteds ) also didn't like the sound from the tweeters,midrange to bright with my system,room (heard them before i bought them)

gasolin

So it might be the Q Acoustics 2020i (even if they are deep speakers) or the Boston A26 can't find a dealer in demark that sells Wharfedale.

All of the 5 Q Acoustic 2000 speakers reviewed on Whathifi has gotten 5 stars, are they that good?

gasolin

lawrencedamron@hotmail.com said:
Hi,

Why don't you add the matching Dali sub?

http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/SUB-E-12-F.aspx

The subwoofer cost way to much (why, i don't know, the subwoofer is for the cheapest dali models and shouldn't have cost more then 300€ but costs 500€), more then twice what i payed for the dali zensor's. If i buy new speakers i don't want to keep my dali's, i am gonna sell then, then i wouldn't have to spend more then 100€ ekstra to get a set like the Boston,Q Acoustics or some other speakers, in fact i have to spend less the 100€ because my speakers are so new that i could get a good price for them (mabye 200€ with some qed speaker cable i payed 242€ for)

I am not looking for so much bas, but as many say, the zensor 1's have a lack of bass, so mabye some Bostons, Q Acoustics,Wharfedales,Monitor Audio....... have better bass (mabye the difference i want in the bass is not more then the difference between the dali zensor 1/5 or zensor 5/7)

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If you're really bothered about bass then I'd consider saving up for the BX2. I went for the 2020i because I wanted a small speaker (more bass than the Zensor 1, but not "bassy" by any means! Otherwise, you could probably pick up some older Wharfedale 10.1s very cheaply. These are also a step up in size. I had these and was happy. Haven't heard the newer 121, but suspect there's not a massive difference.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a Denon dab38?

You're limited by the performnce of your system, try re-positioning your current speaker, moving them away from the walls into the room. if they're on stands - I'd suggest getting a better amp rather than speakers - The Arcam FMJ18 is currently going for silly money well under £300 english is worth considering.

My daughter has a dab38 with an old pair of JPW monitors and sounds o.k, but it won't be shaking the room anytime soon, go's loud enough but its no monster amp.

gasolin

Thompsonuxb said:
Are you using a Denon dab38?

You're limited by the performnce of your system, try re-positioning your current speaker, moving them away from the walls into the room. if they're on stands - I'd suggest getting a better amp rather than speakers - The Arcam FMJ18 is currently going for silly money well under £300 english is worth considering.

My daughter has a dab38 with an old pair of JPW monitors and sounds o.k, but it won't be shaking the room anytime soon, go's loud enough but its no monster amp.

As you can se in my signature i have a Denon DRA-F109 this one without dab http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?CatId=systems&SubId=minimicro&ProductId=DRAF109DAB i have more then enough power, some times when i crank it up to 30 out of 60 it's loud and about 45-48 it's really loud, denon makes the D M39DAB (costs about 25% more then my reciver) with less the half the power then my reciver and all the other mini system they make have the same power 2x 65 watt 4 ohm at 1 khz with 0.7% thd, the amplifer i have might be the same as in the ceol n8 , i think they make the same amplifier for all other mini systems then the D M39DAB so they can save some money and to make it more easy compared to make 3-4 amplifiers for there mini systems.

I fell the sound is good and i don't need more power, have these stands that i also mentions in my signature http://www.isoacoustics.com/isol8r155.php?id=speaker%20stands%20studio%20monitor%20isolation about 1 feet from the wall

gasolin

So for now, if i want new speakers i would consider the Q Acoustic 2020i (although they are very deep in size) just a bit more then 100€ each (free delivery), the Monitor audio bx2 about 174€ or the Boston Acoustics A26 (also free delivery) just slightly cheaper then the Monitor Audio's but at the moment i can get them for almost 25% chepare the th monitor audio's.

But i don't live near a place where i can listen to them, so i am asking about you opinions and also read the opinions on the rewives on whathif to get a feeling what you think about the speakers and what could be an better bass alternative to Dali Zensor 1

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Maybe Dali should make a Zensor 2!

I spoke to a Dali rep at the Bristol show about this very subject, and they're on the way to releasing a Zensor 3 - larger standmount currently in testing. I have the 1s too but will get the 3 as I like the 1 so much.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I uses to have the Dalis' in my HC setup, lovely mid but swapped them out because of the almost complete lack of bass, and I'm not a bass head. They didn't project into my room as well. So went

Replaced with the Tannoy Reveloution DC6 ..... Excellent passive speaker result

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Blackdawn said:

I spoke to a Dali rep at the Bristol show about this very subject, and they're on the way to releasing a Zensor 3 - larger standmount currently in testing. I have the 1s too but will get the 3 as I like the 1 so much.

This is good to know.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
o.k....personally I still feel you need to get better amplification as you will never get the sort of performance you desire from that unit, but I could be wrong.

I'd hold on to the zensors and see which one of last years amps offer the best discount.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Blackdawn said:

Awesome news !!! A Zensor 3 would be great :grin:

TRENDING THREADS