Dali speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay, so I have been on a look out for the loudspeakers for my next system. I came across something seems good to me. Need your help to put things in perspective. I have the following queries:
  • How reputed are Dali? Which league do they belong to?
  • How are Piano and IKON series of loudspeakers rated? Budget? Hi-fi? Premium?
  • How much does it cost in UK market? Are they good value for money?
TIA for your valued opinion.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have the Dali Mentor 2's and I am very happy with them. They are pricey at RRP £1400, but in my opinion they do the price justice. The sound is excellent and they are capable of very good dynamics. In my opinion, this company is a high end speaker manufacturer, which produces speakers that are absolutly beautiful to look at, and furthermore, musically satisfying.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="DJ_ROLANDO"]Hi, I have the Dali Mentor 2's and I am very happy with them. They are pricey at RRP £1400, but in my opinion they do the price justice. The sound is excellent and they are capable of very good dynamics. In my opinion, this company is a high end speaker manufacturer, which produces speakers that are absolutly beautiful to look at, and furthermore, musically satisfying.[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback Rolando, I am relieved to receive some first person account on these speakers.

What are you mating these with? And how much did the speakers cost you? Can you please find out what are the going prices of IKON5/6/7. I am most inclined towards 6. From my searches on net I got to know that IKON 6 was awarded the 'Speaker of the Year' award by WHVSV UK the year it was launched (2005). So that must be a lot to the credit of these speakers by itself. What do you say.

A

Anonymous

True, 2005 IKON 6 won the "Stereo speakers of the year", 2006 and 07 the line for best package. Impressive
emotion-21.gif

Pity these don't seem to be a household name around these parts though
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

I HAVE PARTNERED MY DALI MENTOR 2'S WITH THE PRIMARE CD31 CD PLAYER, PRIMARE PRE 31 PRE AMP AND THE PRIMARE A31.2 POWER AMP. MY DALI MENTOR 2'S SET ME BACK £1400.
IN REGARDS TO THE DALI IKON'S, THE IKON 5 HAS A RRP OF £700 AND THE IKON 6 HAS A RRP OF £900. THE IKON 7 HAS A RRP OF £999.
HAVE A LOOK AT THIS WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THESE SPEAKERS:
WWW,HIFIBITZ.CO.UK

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've had the Ikon 6 for just over 3 months now, partnered with Arcam Diva CD/Amp/Power amp and the sound is lovely. I bought them for the future actually as I'm planning to move house and my room is a bit small at the moment but the Dali's sound great. Very sweet, detailed, mellow but with good bass if necessary. They are at their best with vocals. I would highly recommend them. Who knows I may even upgrade to the full 5.1 system when I move!

A

Anonymous

Thanks DJ_Roldano. I checked the www.hifibitz.co.uk. I got some info I was looking for. Thanks.

Thanks JoeSlim. I appreciate your help.

I am looking forward to mate these with Music Hall. No one seems to have tried Music Hall so no advices. Lets hope someone has something more to say.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you want ex demo's for £650 then they are available at audiologica on the web. The guy there was very helpful and mine arrived quickly. There was a problem with one of the baffles so I got in contact and they sent some brand new ones out Free of Charge

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Dali has excellent range of speakers ultimately though they love classical and Jazz more than rock as the soundstage are deep and wide, bass is natural rather than deep. Mentor range are the pick of the bunch..

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have also been doing the reading
on my part and found Dali's have received great reviews almost
everywhere. Almost everyone seems to agree, they are a great value for
money. The ranges most discussed are IKON and Helicon. Mentor being a
recent launch has not yet got to the same level of popularity.

We
all know what WHFSV said about the IKON 6 and IKON 2s. Besides TAS
mentioned about IKON 6 as "appearing to be an outstanding value,
offering nearly all the performance of the Helikon at a fraction of the
price". Best part is, IKONs also shined in multi-channel setup. That
sort of gives me an easier upgrade path. So, if I later wanted to
upgrade my HT, I wouldn't be looking for customers for these and new
speakers for HT from scratch.

I benefited most from Robert Greene's review of IKON 6 among others.After
studying the frequency response charts as published by Robert my
conclusion is, I will need to let the speakers play at their natural
level when my wife plays it. When I play, I will push the bass a few
dBs up. Because I really liked the way people said these speakers flow
and present the soundstage. One of my top selection criteria has always
been tonal balance, and these seem to do the job perfectly. There
surely are dips at places and minor surges, but then I am not looking
for 'money no object' speakers. My quest is to find decent speakers and
these seem to be the best I can lay my hands on having to pay about
twice as much in UK/US market.

Now what I need is listen them with my own ears and close the case.

But wait, don't I also need to figure out which amp to mate them with? The dealer is offering a deal on
Music Hall/Dali combo. But so far I am not convinced Music Hall would
be the best partner for Dali. That is one area I still am working on.

A

Anonymous

I'm also willing to buy a pair of Ikon 6 and maybe later to upgrade to a home-theater system, adding 4 more speakers to the dalis.

My local retailer had suggested the NAD C352 to pilot the pair (that was before I started thinking about the upgrade path). Seems that Dalis speaker really work well with the power provided by the strong NAD amps.

By the way, my retailer (http://www.hifiklubben.se) is actually beyond Dali itself (or viceversa) so they should know. In the same time I think they may push Dali too much...

Now I'm thinking about buying the two speakers + a 5.1 amp. Is it a bad idea?

Does the NAD home-theater stuff has the same quality of their "plain" amplifiers?

Any comments will be really appreciated!

A

Anonymous

I'm planning on buying an NAD C372 and pairing it with either the Dali Ikons or the Monitor RS6 speakers. The C372 can push 140watt

Then in the future adding say the Quad L-ites and an AV amp for 7.1.

I really really hate the bass levels that seem to be popular for rock music, so these may well be the speakers for me. The AV sub should be able to give the extra punch if needed, I'd guess?

Gotta hear it all first, though.

A

Anonymous

As a general guideline, you should keep your AV and stereo systems independent, unless under circumstances. Also, a dedicated stereo amp is more suitable to music than a multi-channel amp.

What I liked most about Dali's is that they shined in both 2-channel and multichannel applications. That is favorable in more than one way.

JoelSim is absolutely correct that you shouldn't mix different speaker brands. Forget brands, if you have a good pair of ears, you won't even be able to mix different lines of speakers from the same brand, because different speakers have different acoustic attributes.

When planning to go-5.1-from-2-in-2-years, keep in mind availability. You'll need to either dispose your current speakers, or upgrade from the same line, if you wish to maintain the sonic integrity of your HT.

A

Anonymous

Of course, i will not mix different speakers brand. But what abouth the NAD receivers? Are they a valid option? The dali reseller only sells only denon, nad and thule!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts