Dali Menuet agst MA GX50

amwarren13

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

I am looking to replace a pair of MA Radius 180's which are partnering my Naim Uniti, for something a little better. After reading the latest article in What HiFi Dec edition, I am considering the MA GX50's or the Dali Menuets.

Does anyone have any preferences between the 2 ? They will be stand mounted, and going in a medium sized room.

Regards

Ashley

A

Anonymous

For me it'll all depend on how loud you like to have your music and also the soundstage you're after?

The Dali Menuets are gorgeous speakers but they're small! For me they'd be an ideal speaker for a very small room or for very close listening. The GX50's however have a bit more clout about them and will provide a more punchier soundstage; more so for a medium sized room

In comparisons to their soundstages; the Menuets are a gorgeous looking & sounding speaker with a very detailed yet smooth/mellow soundstage. The GX50's are similar but they do have a more open and detailed top-end and more thump in their bass

For my £££ I'd be going for the GX50's in your situation

A

Anonymous

The Dynaudio DM 2/6's and 2/7's are great; as are the ATC's but IMO the M/A GX50's just offer that bit more detail in their openess and detailed soundstage

Yes the Dyn's will offer more overall clout but if they'r within budget the GX50's shouldnt be discounted at all...

For me and my tastes in music; I've never got on with the ATC's; always found them a little boxy

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Haven't heard the Monitor Audio, but am not a fan of their speakers.

The Menuet is a good speaker, but light on bass for a medium-size room and the presentation although detailed can sound a touch thin in the midgrange at times. I'd certainly think the Dynaudios are a better all-rounder thatn the Menuets, and just as detailed without having that shimmering treble common to many Dali speakers.

Auditioning would be best - as you can see from these opinions, someone's cut above is someone else's not really suitable!

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
Haven't heard the Monitor Audio, but am not a fan of their speakers.

The Menuet is a good speaker, but light on bass for a medium-size room and the presentation although detailed can sound a touch thin in the midgrange at times. I'd certainly think the Dynaudios are a better all-rounder thatn the Menuets, and just as detailed without having that shimmering treble common to many Dali speakers.

Auditioning would be best - as you can see from these opinions, someone's cut above is someone else's not really suitable!

So why say above dont go for them?!?!

If you havent heard them then really you shouldnt be commenting IMO

I agree that the Dynaudio DM and Excite range are good but the GX range of speakers is, as above, a class above

They're superbly detailed speakers with a real, full and honest soundstage and replicate music superbly. They dig deeper in the overall soundstage in compariosn to the Dyn DM range and they offer more grunt and better timing than the Excite range IMO

You're right re the Menuets though; superb speakers but just too small for any impact in a medium sized room...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I have heard quite a few Monitor Audio models now, but not that particular model. They could be very different from the family sound, but I'd think not. Anyway, given that a) I said I hadn't heard them and b)my specific comments were about the Menuets and c)my only comment about Monitor Audio was a general one, I don't see what the problem is. At least I was being honest.

As I said, everyone has different ideas - one man's marmite is another man's vegemite etc - the best thing to do is to listen.

amwarren13 said:
Hello all,

I am looking to replace a pair of MA Radius 180's which are partnering my Naim Uniti, for something a little better. After reading the latest article in What HiFi Dec edition, I am considering the MA GX50's or the Dali Menuets.

Does anyone have any preferences between the 2 ? They will be stand mounted, and going in a medium sized room.

Regards

Ashley

Hi Ashley

How would you describe the presentation of the Uniti/R180 combination?

What do you generally listen to?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Your maximum budget?

What areas of improvent are looking for over the R180's?

With a change of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have decided already ... I stongly warn you: audition the speakers you're aiming at, because I bought the GX-50 without listening, to upgrade b&w 685, and had to sell them.

It happens that I found them to be really revealing, exciting and clean, but too foward in the midrange, agressive, I would say. Tried three different amps I have ... same problem ... lot of run in ... same issue.

All the excitement turn into fatigue.

Perhaps they work well with all tube amps, or laid back electronics.

For your Naim perhaps it's gonna happen the same ... did'nt work with my Nait 5i.

If you like MA, try also listening to the RX range ... said to be very balanced, yet revealing.

Best wishes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts