dak not daking

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello, i,m not computer savvy to be honest. I bought a cheap dac to use with laptop in my workshop. As usual with me, plugging it in to usb and headphones was too easy to work straight away. My research says laptop needs a different driver possibly? The dac is working in as much the power light is on when plugged into usb, and when headphones are in other end, you get the impression [slight interference] through headphones that its probably not a faulty unit. When music is played only sound comes from laptop. The dac is a Techole HS202. Any help is appreciated

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Not knowing anything about the computer or the Dac i would say you have just not told the computer that it needs. To output audio via the new usb audio device.
I mentioned it's a text
Not knowing anything about the computer or the Dac i would say you have just not told the computer that it needs. To output audio via the new usb audio device.
I mentioned it's a techole. Laptop is Asus x550. I ve tried what little I know. If I need to update new driver I don't know how

abacus

Just had a look at the DAC Website and the USB is purely to power the DAC not to transfer the sound, you need a Toslink or coaxial connection from your laptop to the DAC to get the sound in, as most laptops don’t have this (Check in the laptop manual to be sure) the DAC is not suitable for your requirements and you will need to purchase a proper USB Headphone DAC.

Bill

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello Bill, I haven't got those connections.only hdmi two usbs, and ethernet. And earphones obviously. ******** advertising saying it's powered by USB simple connections!

abacus

If there is no support for Toslink or Coaxial on your computer then you are stuck, with the only option being to send the DAC back as not suitable. (As mentioned in the previous post by Friesiansam)

If you do a search on Amazon (Or other sales site) for a USB Headphone DAC you will find plenty to choose from, however the cheaper ones will probably be no better than the one that is already built into your computer, so don’t skimp if you want to improve over your computers DAC.

Bill

Reactions: Friesiansam

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
If there is no support for Toslink or Coaxial on your computer then you are stuck, with the only option being to send the DAC back as not suitable. (As mentioned in the previous post by Friesiansam)

If you do a search on Amazon (Or other sales site) for a USB Headphone DAC you will find plenty to choose from, however the cheaper ones will probably be no better than the one that is already built into your computer, so don’t skimp if you want to improve over your computers DAC.

Bill
Right. Be nice to get it working on something to experiment. So how do I connect it to a TV? It's got a toslink, but pretty sure TV hasn't got that. So the other input is coxial. It's yellow. What cable might connect to the TV.

abacus

Right. Be nice to get it working on something to experiment. So how do I connect it to a TV? It's got a toslink, but pretty sure TV hasn't got that. So the other input is coxial. It's yellow. What cable might connect to the TV.

It looks like an RCA cable but is designed specifically for digital connections, however apart from Sony and some High End Blue Ray Players most use Toslink, (TVs, PVRs, Blu-rays etc.) they are difficult to see on the back of a TV ,but unless it is an old or cheap TV then it should have a Toslink connection. (Time to get the torch out)

Bill

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
It looks like an RCA cable but is designed specifically for digital connections, however apart from Sony and some High End Blue Ray Players most use Toslink, (TVs, PVRs, Blu-rays etc.) they are difficult to see on the back of a TV ,but unless it is an old or cheap TV then it should have a Toslink connection. (Time to get the torch out)

Bill
I understand now why it's not suitable for my laptop, so I ve got it connected to the TV. It s working with soundbar( not much difference) and headphones. The headphones are much clearer listening to YouTube now. Problem is I can alter the sound bar with remote, but when I change to headphones, it's on loud, not blow your head off loud, and no way of volume control,Any ideas on that?

nads

I understand now why it's not suitable for my laptop, so I ve got it connected to the TV. It s working with soundbar( not much difference) and headphones. The headphones are much clearer listening to YouTube now. Problem is I can alter the sound bar with remote, but when I change to headphones, it's on loud, not blow your head off loud, and no way of volume control,Any ideas on that?
you need one that has volume control like

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
you need one that has volume control like
Cool. The plan was to use one I ve got with laptop so assumed the volume wasn't an issue. These don't work with my laptop anyway, so no option to connect opticalcable

nads

Cool. The plan was to use one I ve got with laptop so assumed the volume wasn't an issue. These don't work with my laptop anyway, so no option to connect opticalcable

but as it is dealing with a digital signal you have no means of controlling the volume. You need a volume control to cont the analog output. This may be on the box or the headphones but it has to be after the digital signal. The input can not control the volume.

ps at those prices I don’t think they will be better than the DAC in the laptop.

paintboy

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
but as it is dealing with a digital signal you have no means of controlling the volume. You need a volume control to cont the analog output. This may be on the box or the headphones but it has to be after the digital signal. The input can not control the volume.

ps at those prices I don’t think they will be better than the DAC in the laptop.
What budget DAC would you recommend?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts