DacMagic vs. Firestone Spitfire

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I own the DagMagic which I use together with my Cambridge 650BD. The sound is great, but lacks a little bit of attack.

I'm therefore considering upgrading to the Firestone Spitfire.

My amp is the Naim Nait XS, speakers Dynaudio Focus 110.

Would I gain anything by upgrading?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
WHF liked it (a lot)...

http://whathifi.com/Review/Firestone-Spitfire/

But - given the £250 price - you would do well to get to an Arcam dealer and ask for a demo of the new £299 Arcam rDac.

The latest WHF (October issue) gives it 5 stars. The review is not online yet.

Frankly though, I am suprised you feel there is a need for any external DAC with the CA 650BD. Doesn't it's internal DAC do the job just as well? WHF commented that the sound from the 650BD was...

"...punchy, expansive and exciting, with nicely judged bite at the top end and a richly articulate midrange."

Aren't those exactly the qualities you are looking for from the Spitfire when you ask about getting more 'attack'?

If you haven't done so already, what about plugging the CA 650BD into the Nait XS directly with a decent quality RCA phono cable. (CA make some excellent ones in their own range.)

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, I have already experimented with different coax cables and the DacMagic, and there is a huge difference between the lot.

QED performance = very even tonality, lacks details and punch in the upper registers

QED R75 = lots of details, tends to sound very bright and harsh with difficult music

Wireworld Starlight 6 = The best of the above, even tonality, and lots of details.

So I guess I will be able to hear a difference.

A

Anonymous

Save up for the new Rega DAC. If it's anything like the Rega Saturn (it should be better) then it'll be an excellent buy and you can forget about upgrading.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Chebby meant trying different phono cables from the CD player, so that its own DACs are being used. Although there isn't a dedicated CD out, you can use the FL and FR terminals from the 7.1 set. I presume you've tried that and it doesn't sound as good as using the Dacmagic via coax?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:Chebby meant trying different phono cables from the CD player, so that its own DACs are being used. I presume you've tried that and it doesn't sound as good as using the Dacmagic via coax?

Yes I meant trying out connecting the CA 650BD directly to the Nait XS - instead of using the DacMagic in between - to see if you get the...

"...punchy, expansive and exciting, with nicely judged bite at the top end and a richly articulate midrange."

...that WHF experienced in their CA 650BD review. I thought their findings sounded compatible with your wish for more 'attack'.

I am not really suggesting trying out a range of phono cables so much. (You presumably have a favourite already from your subsequent post.)

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My view of the 650BD having owned it for a few months now is that it greatly benefits from using an external DAC when playing CD's. The sound using the analogue outs while detailed and articulate lacked on stereo imaging and spacing between the instruments. The DAC magic I have brings it to life.

However put in a SACD or DVD-a and feed the 650 direct to the amp - the step up inperformance over CD amazing. I do not have a lot of technical knowledge and do not understand how it seems to play/decode some formats easily - yet struggles to make CD sing?

A

Anonymous

I recently bought a Spitfire since I needed a dac for streaming and was curious as well what it would do with the digital signal of my Roksan K2 cd player, which can be a bit laid back.

To me the K2 sounds much better by itself than the K2 feeding the Spitfire. Much better detail, depth, more organic, 3d or what ever you want to call it. The Spitfire may be slightly better in timing, making the music more rhythmically exciting but the picture is more flat, smoothed out. The bass is slightly tighter with the Spitfire and the upper mid (presence) slightly more pronounced which gives a very even tonal balance with my all K2 and PMC GB1i system, since I sometimes feel the Gb1i has a slight gap in the presence. But overall I much preferred the K2 player by itself, which was an interesting conclusion for me in this whole external dac vs cd player thing going on lately. I know I would put my money in a good cd player for a while. Hope that helps.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for alle your answers.

Did WH test the Firestone Spitfire with the supplemental Fireston PSU or with the smaller one that came with the Spitfire

I have read that the supp. PSU makes a big difference in sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:

Thanks for alle your answers.

Did WH test the Firestone Spitfire with the supplemental Fireston PSU or with the smaller one that came with the Spitfire

I have read that the supp. PSU makes a big difference in sound.

Without having used the DAC in question this is a guess but I have a feeling you are aiming to low. Your system needs better and something like Naim's midrange player would suit, as I found when using it with the XS. No lack of detail or attack albeith with different speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Your system needs better and something like Naim's midrange player would suit, as I found when using it with the XS.

The OP wants to use the DAC with his BluRay player, not a CD player.

Plus I think I am going to need a paracetamol and a short lie-down in a dark place after DM's revelation that he enjoyed a Naim amp and CD setup !

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

drummerman:Your system needs better and something like Naim's midrange player would suit, as I found when using it with the XS.

The OP wants to use the DAC with his BluRay player, not a CD player.

Plus I think I am going to need a paracetamol and a short lie-down in a dark place after DM's revelation that he enjoyed a Naim amp and CD setup !

Apologies. I nevertheless stand by what I said though.

Yes, I thought about buying the XS and CDX. Had a great dem and even had them at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts