DacMagic + NAD + 686 = Not quite right!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok so I've recently upgraded to a new DacMagic (from Beresford) and the difference in detail / soundstage / instrument separation is significant so that is a good thing. However I think its beginning to reveal the limitations of my B&W 686's such that it all seems to sound a bit thin and dare I say it quite harsh and tinny at times with lack of "substance" and, if you like, grunt! - so overall I am a bit disappointed. I am slowly trying to evolve my system to something I will have for a long time but at the moment I'm not quite there and I think its the speakers that are the problem. The trouble is my room at the moment is smallish (4m x 4m) with a lot of soft furnishings and basically the speakers can only go in one place and must not be too big. I would consider the 685's but I think might be too much for the room and also they're much bigger than the 686's and would probably be unacceptable to "the boss". CM1's are another option because they are much smaller and would fit in quite well. However when I eventually move house (in maybe 2 years time) I worry that the CM1's would be too small for a bigger room. I suppose I would have the option of adding a sub at a later date but I dunno. I think the rest of my kit is pretty solid and am happy with it.

Being front ported, could I ram the 685's up against the wall more than the 686's and CM1's and not suffer too much detriment??

Please help!
From "Dissatisfied" from Birmingham.

PS Do you think WHFSV should start dividing the forums into separate sections ie speakers, amps etc?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mattc76:Ok so I've recently upgraded to a new DacMagic (from Beresford)

I assume you mean the Beresford TC7510 (DacMagic is from Cambridge Audio).

mattc76:Ok so I've recently upgraded to a new DacMagic (from Beresford) and the difference in detail / soundstage / instrument separation is significant so that is a good thing. However I think its beginning to reveal the limitations of my B&W 686's such that it all seems to sound a bit thin and dare I say it quite harsh and tinny at times with lack of "substance" and, if you like, grunt! - so overall I am a bit disappointed. I am slowly trying to evolve my system to something I will have for a long time but at the moment I'm not quite there and I think its the speakers that are the problem.

We don't know what the rest of your system is apart from DAC and speakers. What amp and which source?

mattc76:The trouble is my room at the moment is smallish (4m x 4m) with a lot of soft furnishings and basically the speakers can only go in one place and must not be too big. I would consider the 685's but I think might be too much for the room and also they're much bigger than the 686's and would probably be unacceptable to "the boss".

I assume you have the speakers on solid, spiked stands and they are positioned optimally. It's alright saying there is only 'one place' they are allowed to go, but if that is the 'wrong place' then pretty much all similar designs may have the same problem. Floorstanders generally have the same 'footprint' as bookshelf speakers on decent stands but may sound better in your circumstances giving you that extra 'grunt' you are missing.

mattc76: Being front ported, could I ram the 685's up against the wall more than the 686's and CM1's and not suffer too much detriment??

Obviously you have not experimented, so do that first (within the limits you alluded to earlier)

mattc76:PS Do you think WHFSV should start dividing the forums into separate sections ie speakers, amps etc?

Definitely not. Too 'fragmented' already.

A

Anonymous

Well based on what you've described it's very tempting to point the finger at the amp. Speaker positioning is important as Chebby points out, with good placement and isolation improving bass somewhat. Will that sort out an otherwise thin sound? Probably not.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
OK thanks for the replies. Experimenting with speaker position / port bungs makes huge differences - none of which are right. Nearer the back wall = boomy uncontrolled bass but less harsh but adding port bungs make it sound boxey. They sound much better right out in the open nice and far apart with a bit of toe in (ie more controlled bass, better focus, not as harsh) but this is utterly unnacceptable in terms of room aesthetics / "boss" approval (basically it means having them pretty much in the middle of the room). Sigh...so i think it probably is speaker position....maybe I need more forgiving speakers that don't mind where they stand?

JohnDuncan - not quite sure if the Beresford sounded "Richer" but I initially thought that the DacMagic sounded "less full" ie "more spacious / airy" I guess because of the way it seems to separate the instruments better.

A

Anonymous

If you have a laminated floor, get some of those round thingy's that sit under your spikes and slide the speakers in and out when you want to listen to them properly.

Bit of a hassle but you get used to it and the 'boss' will be happy.

I thought it wouldn't work and had a big argument with my girlfriend about it but sliding them back and forth keeps the peace and gives me great sound when I am listening. When I have finished, I slide them back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts