Dacmagic..is this normal?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Not really used the filters much but decided to have a play with them today to see if I could detect subtle differences between the modes,the only thing I really noticed is that when switching the filters the unit would occasionally reverse the right and left channels,is this normal?I thought the tone was changing but realised its was just reversing the speakers
emotion-7.gif
but it only does it say 1 in every 10 times how weird.Any one else noticed this,also switching between the digital input sources can do this. Have I a faulty unit? You need a good track with lots of seperation to tell.. I am familiar with the track, it was steely dans 'two against nature' with a prominant hi hat percussion to the left ,when messing with the filters it went over to the right with other intruments switching over accordingly.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Its nothing to do with the phase reversal switch,that just changes the movement of the speaker cones,this is definate left right channel reversal,you dont even need to hold the filter switches long,just enough so the blue light indicates which filter setting you have selected, its only obvious with certain tracks and seems random, very strange,I will e mail CA to see if this should happen,

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
No loose wires that I can see,can't see how that would reverse the channels though,Strange thing is it does it sometimes when you change the input seletor too,like I said it is nothing to do with the phase reversal because the light for that does not come on,channel reversal and phase reversal are two different things,sending an e -mail to CA today,but if anyone can explain it in the meantime or have a dacmagic that does this that would be interesting,BTW sound qaulity is not affected when reversal occurs.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
E mailed richers technical help and they the guy who replied thought this was strange and that they have not had this before,He told me to return it for an exchange,could I have discovered a design flaw lol

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Update...got a new unit from Richers in Prestwich,this one does not reverse RL channels so it was a faulty unit afterall....thing is the new one sounds less involving,but hopefully some burn in will give that good sound back .

A

Anonymous

I got a faulty unit too yesteday. Just got a new one today. Different problem to yours though, through USB it would sometimes work, sometimes not. Bizzare.

Anyway so it does sound worse out the box, ie the DacMagic needs a burn in? Hopefully because it doesnt sound any better than the iPod at the moment.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi jazzy,yeah it does seem seem to improve in soundstaging a little over time ,it takes a while and you might not even notice for a week or two,the sound tends to get a little more refined too. I am surprised you cant hear any difference aleady though, perhaps the NAD isnt reavealing enough,but my new one sounds flatter than the 'run in' oneI returned. its going to be left on a while now with the amp turned off when I dont want to listen.Lets us know if the sound improves after a week or two of use BTW did you get a new unit

A

Anonymous

Yeh I got a new one.

I've got this problem though with the last one and the new one, so its not the DacMagic but something computer oriented.

Its connected via USB (might go coaxial/optical if I keep it, have both on the motherboard) and after maybe 20 mins the music playback stops. I have iTunes open, on repeat to burn it in. I come back, and its maybe half way through a song and its like its paused there. When you go to a new track, it doesnt work. Only closing iTunes and opening again works. This happens on both the laptop and my main pc.

When you look at the windows volume control, its stuck at some value - as if the audio output device has crashed.

Anyone have any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS