DacMagic and an other DAC, the truth.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I Have a DacMagic since it came out and did an upgrade on it.

Since the upgrade dynamics were slightly improved from the start but not like it blew me away.

I compared the DacMagic to a Xindak DAC-8, a high end DAC 3 times the price of a standard DacMagic.

It seems the Xindak itself is only slightly better then my upgraded DacMagic, but only when the Xindak has a standard cheapy powercord.

The thing is, the DacMagic is limited by it's AC power supply but with the Xindak you can have a nice power cord like a Supra i tried.

Only then the difference was nigtht and day!! That blew me away!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So the only thing that made a Xindak (costing three times the price of a modified DacMagic) sound significantly better was a mains cable?

Eek! Mains cable debate Robin. Gotta run....

batmanbomb3vc.gif

A

Anonymous

this is fascinating- I own a VDA (Musical idelity) - is there a power upgrade for this one too?

A

Anonymous

check idcs post above with a link to Little Pinkie - there is a PSU for the MF DAC.

I think the DAC Magic is excellent for the money you pay - I shall have to try idc's PSU upgrade for the DAC Magic & yield results when I can purchase one.

Anyone upgraded the PSU on the DAC Magic yet?

idc

Hi Vinny. There are relevant threads here and here . In the end I did not get an upgraded PSU as I ended up with a brand new amp instead. I have no idea how the RA and Rock Grotto PSUs compare and there is also one from Maplins that is rated as an upgrade and costs about £20. Bear in mind that you in effect invalidate the warranty on the DacMagic and any MF kit that connect a different PSU to. I was originally going to upgrade an amp that was 7 years old with such a PSU (and may still do as funds allow). I will not upgrade the brand new amp.

A

Anonymous

thx idc - I shall look into these PSUs and see if I can talk my walk into a home audition of one of them.

T

the record spot

Incidentally, you can pick up the V-DAC from the Audio Emotion website for £148 - includes a 30-day money back guarantee too; well worth considering IMO.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
idc:There are two upgraded DacMagic PSUs, one from Russ Andrews and one from Rock Grotto called the Little Pinkie

I don't think these upgrades will come near the differnce it made with a power cord for the Xindak.

The Xindak has also a big power circuit inside to make it happen, it would be a shame to connect a standard cord on that.

Still, slightly better with a standard cord over the upgraded DacMagic which is not bad.

Technically the Xindak is worth the money and it also has a tube out if you prefer tube like sound.

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://www.novusaudio.nl/WebRoot/StoreLNL/Shops/62027711/MediaGallery/dac8i.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.novusaudio.nl/epages/62027711.sf/nl_NL/%3FObjectPath%3D/Shops/62027711/Products/%2522Xindak%2520DAC-8%2520D/A%2520Converter%2522&usg=__1cCJkHRpRW2vAdt-QjoF_x2MaFg=&h=523&w=686&sz=119&hl=nl&start=1&um=1&tbnid=izUNAKLEV4ZydM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=139&prev=/images%3Fq%3DXindak%2BDAC-8%26hl%3Dnl%26rlz%3D1T4DVXE_enBE304BE304%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

http://www.xindak.com/english/showtopic.asp?Catalog=5&id=776

Oh, and the upgrade on the DacMagic was a modification internal, mainly the power circuit inside, not a AC power supply.

I don't think an other AC power supply will make much difference, AC is AC and it's only 12V, so not much to improve there.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

So the only thing that made a Xindak (costing three times the price of a modified DacMagic) sound significantly better was a mains cable?

Eek! Mains cable debate Robin. Gotta run....

batmanbomb3vc.gif

No, i didn't count the upgrade with it, then the Xindak is twice as expensive, not 3 times.

I also tried it with a LAPP 4mm cable power cord but differences were not so big then the Supra one.

Although the LAPP oozes quality over the Supra one, but the LAPP was new, maybe that's the causse.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
RCduck7:
It seems the Xindak itself is only slightly better then my upgraded DacMagic, but only when the Xindak has a standard cheapy powercord.

The thing is, the DacMagic is limited by it's AC power supply but with the Xindak you can have a nice power cord like a Supra i tried.

Only then the difference was nigtht and day!! That blew me away!!

Good to see thats ANOTHER person thats found mains cables make a hugh difference
emotion-21.gif

idc

RCduck7:

idc:There are two upgraded DacMagic PSUs, one from Russ Andrews and one from Rock Grotto called the Little Pinkie

I don't think these upgrades will come near the differnce it made with a power cord for the Xindak.........

I don't think an other AC power supply will make much difference, AC is AC and it's only 12V, so not much to improve there.

Far enough. Anyone want some weekend fun debating why a mains cable......

1540_uk_320i.jpg

is worthy of upgrade, but a PSU.......

1882l.jpg

is apparently not. I would have thought as there was a lot more going on in a PSU than a mains cable and there is a definite issue over efficiency due to the heat that PSUs can generate, that there is a clearer reason to upgrade the PSU over a mains cable..

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
idc:RCduck7:

I don't think these upgrades will come near the differnce it made with a power cord for the Xindak.........

Far enough. Anyone want some weekend fun debating why a mains cable......

1540_uk_320i.jpg

is worthy of upgrade, but a PSU.......

1882l.jpg

is apparently not. I would have thought as there was a lot more going on in a PSU than a mains cable and there is a definite issue over efficiency due to the heat that PSUs can generate, that there is a clearer reason to upgrade the PSU over a mains cable..

I would say less talk, more action.

Get someone with an second DacMagic and and get them both on a source of the amp.

A dacmagic has also a digital out that can go to the second dacmagic, so you can only use one source.

One with the normal PSU and one with a Russ Andrews or other upgrade.

Then you can switch between the two and we can finally al know.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts