Dac Upgrade from Arcam Rdac To Audiolab M DAC

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I am wanting to update my Arcam rDAC to either the Rega DAC or the Adudiolab M DAC . I have an Audiollab 8000a mk2 and a 8000p bi amped linked to a pair of Monitor Audio BR5s . I have a Logitech Squeezbox Duet which I stream FLAC files from a WD NAS drive and also use Spotify Premium What are you thoughts I want something that is a warmer in sound and has more detail than the Arcam

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Do you really think you'll change sound sig of your system to warmer and more detailed by swaping dac's? :shame:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
More detail maybe but I wouldn't expect more warmth. I'd look at upgrading your speakers for a significant change.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
A convector heater will provide you with more warmth and will have about as much effect on sound as changing your DAC.
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You have Audiolab amplifiers and are looking for more warmth.......

It's really not that difficult.

Clue, the answer is not more Audiolab....... ;)

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Dave I would not generalize,though i didn´t like the 8200A (steril and cold) the MB´s and P as amplifiers are very neutral with a tad to the warmer side.

I think the OP could be happy if he tries a M-Dac with his P amp,while i wouldn´t call that combo really warm.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
Dave I would not generalize,though i didn´t like the 8200A (steril and cold) the MB´s and P as amplifiers are very neutral with a tad to the warmer side.

I think the OP could be happy if he tries a M-Dac with his P amp,while i wouldn´t call that combo really warm.

You are right in one respect anyway, Audiolab power amps have always been adequate, if hardly inspiring.

The problem has always been with their low level circuitry, pre-amps, Cd players, dacs etc. Other opinions are available, but I have always found them unpleasant due to their dry, 'clinical' presentation.

This is slightly odd for me, as normally I hate any tendency towards fake 'warmth', generally prefering a 'leaner' balance but Audiolab, not for me.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
You are right in one respect anyway, Audiolab power amps have always been adequate, if hardly inspiring.

The problem has always been with their low level circuitry, pre-amps, Cd players, dacs etc. Other opinions are available, but I have always found them unpleasant due to their dry, 'clinical' presentation.

This is slightly odd for me, as normally I hate any tendency towards fake 'warmth', generally prefering a 'leaner' balance but Audiolab, not for me.

It may be true that Audiolab kit has a "house sound": certainly many people think so. But it's worth noting that the MDAC was a one-off design* for Audiolab by John Westlake, and the general view is that it's quite different, in terms of presentation, from the Audiolab house style.

I also note in passing that John Westlake has a not altogether favourable opinion** of Audiolab amps.

As for the OP's question, I'd agree with those who suggest spending the money on another part of the system. But if a new DAC really does appeal, then the Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC is well regarded and is said to have a smooth balance, and it's only £200.

Another (more expensive) option would be to buy the MDAC and sign up for John Westlake's upgraded version (details on the PFM forum). Among the wizzy functions of the "level 3" MDAC is an integrated DSP engine. That really would give you all the warmth you could possibly want!

Matt

* OK, later followed by the stripped-down QDAC.

** I'm being diplomatic here.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
We have spoken about this before, I have not lived with the M-dac so have little real experience, having heard it once or twice I found it unremarkable, with a kind of slightly hazy quality that I have heard elsewhere in Westlake designs.

This may be entirely psycological on my part, all Audiolab product sounds the same to me, ie like an 8000A though I am sure they have improved in recent years I find it hard to get past that.

I shall investigate the revised versions you mention.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The "Lakewest" MDAC project is detailed here:

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

The site is a bit out of date, and the project is already at least 6 months behind schedule.

I had my MDAC upgraded to level 2 "Toy", and I've signed up for the level 3 package. This is a bit fanciful on my part: I'm only using the MDAC as a headphone amp at the moment (which it's exceptionally good at IMO). There are a few things about the project that appeal, and I find JW a very approachable chap with bags of integrity.

:cheers:

Matt

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

It may be true that Audiolab kit has a "house sound": certainly many people think so. But it's worth noting that the MDAC was a one-off design* for Audiolab by John Westlake, and the general view is that it's quite different, in terms of presentation, from the Audiolab house style.

I also note in passing that John Westlake has a not altogether favourable opinion** of Audiolab amps.

As for the OP's question, I'd agree with those who suggest spending the money on another part of the system. But if a new DAC really does appeal, then the Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC is well regarded and is said to have a smooth balance, and it's only £200.

Another (more expensive) option would be to buy the MDAC and sign up for John Westlake's upgraded version (details on the PFM forum). Among the wizzy functions of the "level 3" MDAC is an integrated DSP engine. That really would give you all the warmth you could possibly want!

Matt

* OK, later followed by the stripped-down QDAC.

** I'm being diplomatic here.
I have been using the V90 DAC for 4 months now & i have never looked back. Excellent all round DAC. It expresses details very well & also sound very smooth with it.

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Been having a think since last night. and I am going for the Rega DAC and also going to change Audiolabs for a 2nd hand Naim nait 5i italic amplifier which I can do straight away I will use my Marantz CD 63 KI as transport the the Rega DAC and I wwill in the next few months upgrade the speakers looking for something along the lines of the Spenoder A6 line when funds allow . I think thiswill satisfy my needs

rainsoothe

Have you heard any of that stuff? As far as I understand, the Nait 5i (italic) is rather bright, compared to 5i and 5si at least. Also, Rega Brio not for everyone - you really should listen to it, I thought it was a fuzzy mess when I listened to it, and wondered why it was so hyped :p

Although I havent heard it, the Arcam iRdac might be what you're looking for, based on what I read and a friend's impressions. Try audition anything you wanna buy, you might end up being disappointed, and there are better ways to lose money :)

Not saying the Rega Dac sucks btw, it's just that it's not for everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts