DAC Question

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am looking into buying an external DAC for my Sonos ZP90.

I was nearly set on purchasing an Arcam rdac but then started to have a re-think. I know this is subjective and down to personal taste but how does the DAC in the Audiolab 8200CD compare, would it be comparable to the rDAC, better and if so what price bracket of stand alone DAC's is it comparable to ?

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Without a better power supply to the rdac I prefer the Audiolab. With a better power supply I prefer the rdac. Cheap power supply on the rdac aside the differences are largely down to personal taste for me though. rdac was a ****** to run in, the audiolab wasn't. Audiolab is possibly a better all rounder but I get more emotional enjoyment from the rdac.

They both have qualities which you may or may not prefer and I won't try to describe them because I can't. Sadly I think the only way you can be sure of which one you'd like and hence which one you think would be worth more is after extended listening.

The audiolab sometimes appears open box online for £550. Dac alone I'd probably rate it (with absolutely zero credibility in this area) as a £400 dac.

A

Anonymous

If you really want the best sound quality, it would be better to connect the dac directly to your PC/Mac and keep the Sonos for music around the house.
Keith.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
purite_audio said:
If you really want the best sound quality, it would be better to connect the dac directly to your PC/Mac and keep the Sonos for music around the house. Keith.
This may seem ignorant but why would a DAC connected to a PC give better sound quality than a NAS connected to a Sonos then DAC. Surely the Sonos would pass bit for bit the same as the PC.

A

Anonymous

An async USB dac connected directly to your PC ,will (I believe) give you better sound quality than outputting spdif from theSonos, and you will be able to play every file up to and including 24/384.
Keith.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts