DAC or CD player??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I will probably go for a good intergrated Amp next. Been looking at the Musical Fidelity M3, but at 2.5k a bit steep for my pockets......so wil look at the M1 and other options.

I have decided to replace the source and the AMP as these speakers deserve better. It just depends on how much I can find to spend.

It's a minor thing, but it's the M6i that is £2.5k, with the M3i being about around £1k.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:
I will probably go for a good intergrated Amp next. Been looking at the Musical Fidelity M3, but at 2.5k a bit steep for my pockets......so wil look at the M1 and other options.

I have decided to replace the source and the AMP as these speakers deserve better. It just depends on how much I can find to spend.

It's a minor thing, but it's the M6i that is £2.5k, with the M3i being about around £1k.

Correct Cno.....thats the two I meant :)

A

Anonymous

Replacing your current amplifier by a MF M3 wil not be an upgrade. If it's the case, keep your current amplification set.

Creek Destiny 2, Electrocompaniet EC-3, Primare i30 or Naim XS. One of those would be a real upgrade.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

Heard myself the M6i from Musical Fidelity with a different range of speakers. It's a stunning amp, don't believe it can be beaten at that price range. Tried against more expensive amps and the M6 was a winner. Plus you can get much cheaper than that, at least here in Belgium (talking about 2k eur new if I don't go wrong) :cheers:

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
Replacing your current amplifier by a MF M3 wil not be an upgrade. If it's the case, keep your current amplification set.

Creek Destiny 2, Electrocompaniet EC-3, Primare i30 or Naim XS. One of those would be a real upgrade.

Hi I meant the M6, AT 2.5K, but might be a bit too much to spend....we will see. Will check out your other sugestions.

I love the look of the Primare 32 kit......wow.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Would the new Audiolab CD player, be a big step up from my Arcam....or should I wait a year or so when i will have say 2k to spend?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:
Audio Maniac said:

Hi I meant the M6, AT 2.5K, but might be a bit too much to spend....we will see. Will check out your other sugestions.

Also heard the Primare I32. Really nicely built amp. Liked more the presentation of the M6i but it is a beautifull amp indeed. Very detailed and accurate..very airy also. The M6i has more body...

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
Womaz said:
Audio Maniac said:

Also heard the Primare I32. Really nicely built amp. Liked more the presentation of the M6i but it is a beautifull amp indeed. Very detailed and accurate..very airy also. The M6i has more body...

M6i on ebay as we speak for £1600.........tempted :)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update for anyone who is interested that is :) :)

Traded in my A85 and P85, for the Musical Fidelity M6 amp today.......and also got an M1 CLIC, as my first streamer.

Keeping the CD player for now, which I am told will be imroved by a digital connection to the CLIC too.

I am looking forward to see if I can hear the difference from my CD player attached to the CLIC, and the ripped music in FLAC format.

If no difference the CD player will be surplus to requirements too.

Thank you for all the help on this forum lately. I now have a totally new system to 3 months ago at a lot more cost than I originally intended I might add :)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
A gradual move from Arcam to MF....let us know what you think.

I will do. I actually find it hard when doing a demo of the kit to hear a massive difference...I just trust the lad in the dealers who has been great, but the MF6 did sound excellent today, and that was just with a Arcam CD player, costing around £700 so simliar to mine.

The speakers I recently bought sounded good in the shop, but wow when I have got them home, they are a massive improvement on my Quad 22Ls. I am presuming the M6 and CLIC will do the same.

Thanks for all the help

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I will do. I actually find it hard when doing a demo of the kit to hear a massive difference...I just trust the lad in the dealers who has been great, but the MF6 did sound excellent today, and that was just with a Arcam CD player, costing around £700 so simliar to mine.

The speakers I recently bought sounded good in the shop, but wow when I have got them home, they are a massive improvement on my Quad 22Ls. I am presuming the M6 and CLIC will do the same.

Thanks for all the help

The M6i should sound great through the PMCs, and when combined with the CLICK, be more lively and upbeat than the Arcam, while still remaining musical....though saying that, the A85 + P85 are far from shabby.

Expectation can be a killer, especially if it is not fully realized...don't be too quick to judge, but allow time to properly assess what you've now got. I think you will be pleased.

:cheers:

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am also convinced that you will be very pleased. You got yourself a stunning amp which it is very difficult to beat at that price. I am sure you will enjoy a lot. Let us know how you get along with the Clic, I am very interested in what you think! :cheers:

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
I am also convinced that you will be very pleased. You got yourself a stunning amp which it is very difficult to beat at that price. I am sure you will enjoy a lot. Let us know how you get along with the Clic, I am very interested in what you think! :cheers:

To be honest I am a little concerned that the CLIC will be dependent on my WiFi connection, but I have been assured it will be fine.

The CLIC has an app coming soon apparently which will be useful.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I am looking forward to hearing my CD player through the DAC in the Clic and then comparing it not running through the DAC.

Also looking forward to comparing the CD player with the Clic for the same piece of music....ie the actaul CD and the ripped FLAC file.....sad or what :roll:

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
You have a great set up coming - ive been tempted by the M1 Clic myself but decided my Arcam CD37 was my most enjoyable source. I have the MF M1 DAC and its a great item and i use it with a Squeezebox for streaming which was a bit cheaper. I am sure the MF Amplifier will be a real star, again i like the item but stuck with Arcam in the end.

My own experience of DACs v CD players is that on balance for quality i would say my M1 DAC does a good job of matching up with my CD player. The difference i would say is the DAC / streaming combination end up slightly more clinical whereas the Arcam CD37 just gives you that little more melodic approach. Both good but the Arcam CD37 is my favourite and it plays SACD's which are better.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
You have a great set up coming - ive been tempted by the M1 Clic myself but decided my Arcam CD37 was my most enjoyable source. I have the MF M1 DAC and its a great item and i use it with a Squeezebox for streaming which was a bit cheaper. I am sure the MF Amplifier will be a real star, again i like the item but stuck with Arcam in the end.

My own experience of DACs v CD players is that on balance for quality i would say my M1 DAC does a good job of matching up with my CD player. The difference i would say is the DAC / streaming combination end up slightly more clinical whereas the Arcam CD37 just gives you that little more melodic approach. Both good but the Arcam CD37 is my favourite and it plays SACD's which are better.

The amp purchase has been on my mind for a little while now, but the CD player was where I could not make up my mind. Both dealers I spoke to said they would not be buying a new CD player and would go for a streamer.

I think the CLIC is my compromise, as I am hoping it will improve my Arcam CD 82 as well. If it does not, then it will probably go the journey eventualy as the dealer reckons the CLIC and the Arcam will have very similar SQ. Infact he reckons the CLIC will be better. We shall see.

I honestly would have been lost without this forum over the last 3 months, they are invaluable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
The amp purchase has been on my mind for a little while now, but the CD player was where I could not make up my mind. Both dealers I spoke to said they would not be buying a new CD player and would go for a streamer.

I think the CLIC is my compromise, as I am hoping it will improve my Arcam CD 82 as well. If it does not, then it will probably go the journey eventualy as the dealer reckons the CLIC and the Arcam will have very similar SQ. Infact he reckons the CLIC will be better. We shall see.

I honestly would have been lost without this forum over the last 3 months, they are invaluable.

On a similar theme, my daughter wanted to listen to Adam Lambert, of American idol fame (say no more!) "For your entertainment".

For some reason, it wouldn't rip so I played it on my Arcam DV79, which is a reasonable CDP. It sounded rather lifeless, boring and undynamic... which, to be fair, is not how he should sound.

Finally, I managed to fully clean and rip the CD. We then replayed the album on the Linn DS...now a totally different story. It was full of vibrancy and life, attention grabbing if you will; yet had lost none of the musicality.

There is no doubt in my mind that streaming is the way to go at the moment...though looking further into the future, who knows.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

On a similar theme, my daughter wanted to listen to Adam Lambert, of American idol fame (say no more!) "For your entertainment". For some reason, it wouldn't rip so I played it on my Arcam DV79, which is a reasonable CDP. It sounded rather lifeless, boring and undynamic... which, to be fair, is not how he should sound. Finally, I managed to fully clean and rip the CD. We then replayed the album on the Linn DS...now a totally different story. It was full of vibrancy and life, attention grabbing if you will; yet had lost none of the musicality. There is no doubt in my mind that streaming is the way to go at the moment...though looking further into the future, who knows.

Yes at first I was reluctant to go down this route, but eventually made the decision that I have nothing to lose. I am keeping the CD player for now, if the CLIC is better quality then the CD player will be virtually redundant.

I will still buy CDs though and rip them to FLAC.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:

Other than hi-res, that is also my approach, as I always like to have the safety of a "physical hard copy", as well as a medium that I can play on a CDP (eg. in my car)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
:)
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

Other than hi-res, that is also my approach, as I always like to have the safety of a "physical hard copy", as well as a medium that I can play on a CDP (eg. in my car)

Hi Res will be the future I think as I have to admit to missing downloading and having content immediately ( I used i tunes for 6 months then seen the error of my ways).......but it will only be useful for me if new albums start getting released in this format.

I do have 256kb copies in I tunes for my car though.....lazy :)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm personally happy with CD's. I prefer the simplicity of CD, amp, speakers.

Although I've never heard a separate DAC or streamer system I have no intention of getting one or the other. Life's complicated enough! It would take me ages to rip all my music. Easier for me to just pop in a CD.

But, each to there own!

Nice to read that some actually prefer the sound of there CD player than to a DAC as some posts refer to a DAC being a good upgrade for there system but I suppose for someone like me a CD player with a good DAC does the same job as CD is my only or main source.

If you intend on downloading lots of music though, and for convenience once CD's have been ripped, a DAC may do you better n the long run.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:

Although I've never heard a separate DAC or streamer system I have no intention of getting one or the other. Life's complicated enough! It would take me ages to rip all my music. Easier for me to just pop in a CD.

But, each to there own!

Nice to read that some actually prefer the sound of there CD player than to a DAC as some posts refer to a DAC being a good upgrade for there system but I suppose for someone like me a CD player with a good DAC does the same job as CD is my only or main source.

If you intend on downloading lots of music though, and for convenience once CD's have been ripped, a DAC may do you better n the long run.

I'm in the same boat. I don't have a DAC at present but am not missing not having one either. Over the last 2/3 years I've ripped my entire CD collection into FLAC files on my PC, and ironically find that since finishing that project I hardly ever play them via my PC/Foobar. I'm quite content at the present time to listen to PC audio (Spotify/Internet radio etc.) through the onboard soundcard via a cheapo cable into my amp. I reckon 90% of all my listening these days is either vinyl or CD still. I don't think I could afford a DAC that would seriously improve on the Evo 2 CD player IMHO.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
FennerMachine said:

But, each to there own!

I'm in the same boat. I don't have a DAC at present but am not missing not having one either. Over the last 2/3 years I've ripped my entire CD collection into FLAC files on my PC, and ironically find that since finishing that project I hardly ever play them via my PC/Foobar. I'm quite content at the present time to listen to PC audio (Spotify/Internet radio etc.) through the onboard soundcard via a cheapo cable into my amp. I reckon 90% of all my listening these days is either vinyl or CD still. I don't think I could afford a DAC that would seriously improve on the Evo 2 CD player IMHO.

I totally get where you are coming from. To be honest that is why the CD player is staying for now too, however there are so many people who are convinced a ripped CD offers better playback than a CD player, that I have been convinced to give this a go.

star

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am getting better sound quality in transparency and joy out of my cd's playing them through a CDP in compare to my laptop ,i guess its due the higher end ' dac in the CDP compare to the chip in the laptop ,probably ,all have to do is to get a quality dac to my laptop ,plus quality speakers ' then do i need amp ? and what about the digital signal proceesing adc to dac are they all the same ? what involves the signal to noise ratio quality ? what involves the jitter clocking issues ?

the following just read at another forum ;

S/PDIF is the same whether it's carried over optical or coaxial. The bitstreams are exactly the same, just pulses of light in place of pulses of voltage. It's limited to 24 bit 48khz audio in it's basic form, but I'm pretty sure most game audio is at 48khz anyway so that's not really a limitation.

USB is another way to get a digital signal out of the computer and to a DAC, alot more flexible than S/PDIF, allows bidirectional communication between your computer and the audio device, as well as basically unlimited format support, up to the limits of the audio device itself, but as stated above that may only be 24/48 anyway.

then what all those about ;
fire wire to usb,
halide design bridge ,
headphone jack out

OR5,
MCRU linear power supply.

and are used to enhance the sound quality of the dac ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts