DAC options

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all!

I've recently made a new purchase of the onkyo ND-S1 digital transport ipod dock which I have connected to my arcam avr200 via digital coaxal.
(mainly listening to ipod or spotify premium in stereo)

where's the depth, soundstage and attack gone?

I've read that the dac in the 200 is pretty average?

I used to use the onboard ipod or dac through an apple dock or laptop headphone out through a fully upgraded mf x10-d to the analogue input on the avr200 then to an fmj p20 to ma gr10's ma radius centre and vintage b&o rears.
also arcam CD72(analogue). all connected with silver highbreed avatar.
now the mf x10-d is between the avr200 and p20.

my question is, can I upgrade the dac in the avr 200, should I upgrade to a 280 if poss, buy external dac or go back to the original setup?
cheers guys!

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I would try using an external DAC with your system and see how that sounds. Something like the Beresford or DacMagic would suit the bill. If it doesn't turn out the way you want, you can always return the DAC and try one of the other options, such as upgrasing the Arcam.

T

the record spot

Have a look at Firstone Audio's Spitfire II, better than the DACMagic I found, but see also the Emotica XDA-1 - £250 and £350 respectively. But really, if you liked the sound so much before, better perhaps to return to that and enjoy than get on a treadmill that's sometimes difficult to get off afterwards!

jonnyavery

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
my thinking behind getting a seperate dac is that I could also run my arcam CD72 through it which would give it a new lease of life? are the DACs that have already been mentioned the stand out best value units avaliable?

TRENDING THREADS