DAC Magic or CD&Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I want to improve the stereo sound of my onkyo 806 receiver by adding a budget dedicated amp. However, I am also thinking of buying the dac magic as an alternative. Which do you think will give the best result? Also, my onkyo 806 has pre-outs---do I need to buy a dedicated amp with pre-out as well to connect it to my onkyo? Or will I be able to connect the dedicated amp even if it doesn't have pre-outs? cheers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
liujol:
Hi,

I want to improve the stereo sound of my onkyo 806 receiver by adding a budget dedicated amp. However, I am also thinking of buying the dac magic as an alternative. Which do you think will give the best result? Also, my onkyo 806 has pre-outs---do I need to buy a dedicated amp with pre-out as well to connect it to my onkyo? Or will I be able to connect the dedicated amp even if it doesn't have pre-outs? cheers.

I would get the stereo amp. The DacMagic would be wasted going into an AV receiver. You would just need a stereo amp that has a spare input (aux, tuner, cd....). Although my first amp, the Creek Evo would not work with my AV receiver - I think that 99% will.

A

Anonymous

You are aware of course that your 806 has 192kHz/24bit Burr Brown DACs (PCM1796) for all channels in its pre-amp (which are regarded as the best) and is a full Class A amplifier.

Unfortunately they are smeared by interaction off the power supply side of things.
However this can be improved by...

Increasing the Db levels on all channels (off the speaker menu) on the output control, and

Cheap way - Buy a Tacima block (£22) and a good mains cable.
Or source a BT Mains conditioning unit (250-500va) off EBay (£45) plug the amp into it.

Result, one happy chappy with no further interest in stereo amps!

A

Anonymous

I have the Onkyo 875, which has the same DACs as the 806 and a DACMagic and i can hear no difference between the two, so i would suggest don't waste your money like i have!

A

Anonymous

Thanks FBSF, might well do that.

Trevor, why would increasing the speaker output levels of my 875 improve the sound quality?

A

Anonymous

trevor79:You are aware of course that your 806 has 192kHz/24bit Burr Brown DACs (PCM1796) for all channels in its pre-amp (which are regarded as the best) and is a full Class A amplifier. Unfortunately they are smeared by interaction off the power supply side of things. However this can be improved by... Increasing the Db levels on all channels (off the speaker menu) on the output control, and Cheap way - Buy a Tacima block (£22) and a good mains cable. Or source a BT Mains conditioning unit (250-500va) off EBay (£45) plug the amp into it. Result, one happy chappy with no further interest in stereo amps!Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the 806 has Cirrus DACs installed and not Burr Brown. Anyway, maybe it's just the brand name. I guess you are right Trevor in saying that by increasing the Db level will improve the sound quality. After I've performed the Audyssey auto calibration, I noticed that the stereo sound of the Onkyo 806 is not that solid, but after increasing the db levels of my front speakers from -7db to about +5 db the stereo sound improved a lot. I guess adding a dac magic or a budget amplifier to my Onkyo 806 will be a waste of money. I think I will carry on using the 806 for my stereo listening pleasure afterall. Thanks everyone.

PS. BTW I already have the Tacima but don't have yet a good mains cable. Will I have to upgrade the mains cable to achieve a better sound quality?

A

Anonymous

Pauldosteo:
Thanks FBSF, might well do that.

Trevor, why would increasing the speaker output levels of my 875 improve the sound quality?

Paul, It increases the Gain on the signal path which is excellent put through the Burr Browns. It mean that less amplification is needed (to get the same sound levels) so the power supply rails run quieter thus effecting the signal less.

On listening you will here things open up with a fuller more musical sound. The mains noise is reduced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts