dac magic optical out problems

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hi,can any one help.im using my ps3 with music saved onto it outputing via optical into dac magic then phono into onkyo 605 set to pure .this works ok with my audio files.but i found when i play games i get no sound so i fitted an optical lead to the dacs optical out,now when i try and play audio files the sound keeps droping out every 10 secs and sumtimes the amp switches out of pure then back in again.removed optical and works fine with music again.any one got any ideas before i blow somthing up

A

Anonymous

I believe on the PS3 you need to select optical out in the sound menu, the default would be HDMI (guessing) though by using this method you will be losing digital surround sound with games.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

PS3 will output DD through the optical but not the new HD codecs.

Have you tried to connect the PS3 directly to the amp via optical to see if the same problem persists? It would rule out the DAC if it continues.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
yeah it is set to optical out and is outputting into the dac and then into the amp ok via phono but pass through optical on dac is messing with amp

dont no what this is down tops3 ,amp or dac

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If PS3 works direct into the amp I'd suggest something is happening when the DAC is connected.

Not sure why you have 2 connections to the amp from the DAC? Perhaps unplugging one of them would help? I ain't anywhere near an expert on DAC's but some on here use them all the time. They'd be better qualified to assist you.

PJPro may be the one (outside of the WHSAV crew obviously).

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:What kind of DAC is it?

Sorry just read your post again. It doesn't sound like it's the pass-through on the DM that's doing it or else you would get sound using the RCA connections with games. Sounds to me like your PS3 having issues sending sound from games over optical to the DM. Check your toslink connections, they are notoriously hard to insert on some components - there should be a little click when it engages. Bar that I can only think it's a sound setting on the PS3, someone like professorhat will be your best bet there.

A

Anonymous

You do have the PS3 outputting stereo don't you? The DM won't accept a surround signal.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
nodnarb4444:cambridge audio dac magic 2

Is this the latest one from CA? If so, even when working, I doubt that you will hear a great difference outputting through an AV receiver, even in stereo mode. You would probably be better off buying a second hand stereo amp and trying it with that - you will be shocked by the difference.

A

Anonymous

i have the 605 and was going to run ps3 through dacmagic for music.was told that 605 was as good as £200-£250 stereo amp

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
daz66:i have the 605 and was going to run ps3 through dacmagic for music.was told that 605 was as good as £200-£250 stereo amp

Seriously, however great the 605 and other receivers at that level are with AV, they will not be able to hold a candle to a £200-£250 stereo amp from Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Denon, NAD etc.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've found, through many years of testing, that the average piece of AV kit performs around as well as a dedicated stereo separate of about a third of the price.

There are of course exceptions to this, but i'd say even the most musical AV kit does well to match stereo gear of about half the price.

A

Anonymous

The 605 doesn't have pre-outs. You'll need to go up to something like the Sony 2400es for pre-outs but that amp has a much better musical performance on its own. Look to spend £2-300 on a stereo amp that will clearly beat something like the Sony.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
shame i will have to keep it in mind for my next amp the 605 is only 12 months old and should have another 12 months in it really.do you think a cd player will make any difrance over the ps3 or bd350 for now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts