DAC Magic connection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought a DAC Magic which is connected to my laptop using a USB lead. I listen using itunes and the mp3's are mostly VBR or 320 kbps. The sound is superb!

Now I believe i can connect using the s/pdif socket (3.5mm / minijack) to toslink connector, my question is:

Will this connection method give me an improved sound bearing in mind the bit rate, and if so, is there a recommended lead available?

I have had a look on the internet but am not sure I would be buying the correct lead.

Opinions are graciously appreciated.

Ta

DAC connected to Arcam FMJ A32 amp / Rega R5 speakers

John Duncan

Most likely a toslink-to-mini-toslink cable, provided you're sure the laptop has an optical out in the heaphone socket. And yes, you should get better performance this way.

pgd582.jpg

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
TBH Bert, if you are listening to MP3s, then I would stick with the USB connection - you won't hear any improvement going to the SPDIF.

If you wanted to listen to lossless files at above CD bitrates (normally 24bit / 96KHz) then optical is the way to go, but as your MP3s are 16bit / 44.1KHz, then the USB connection will be at least as good.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Really John? How come? I would have thought that as the USB connection has parity checking and the toslink doesn't, for the bitrates involved, USB would be the preferable option?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Bert Puttocks:
I have recently bought a DAC Magic which is connected to my laptop using a USB lead. I listen using itunes and the mp3's are mostly VBR or 320 kbps. The sound is superb!

Now I believe i can connect using the s/pdif socket (3.5mm / minijack) to toslink connector, my question is:

Will this connection method give me an improved sound bearing in mind the bit rate, and if so, is there a recommended lead available?

I have had a look on the internet but am not sure I would be buying the correct lead.

Opinions are graciously appreciated.

Ta

DAC connected to Arcam FMJ A32 amp / Rega R5 speakers

Seriously consider ripping your music lossless. There is no reason to bother with mp3 these days with the cost of external and internal HDD.

John Duncan

Actually yeah FB, I had read VBR to mean lossless as opposed to VBR-mp3 (since apple lossless bitrates are variable!). If they're all mp3 then there won't be anything in it. Frees up a USB slot though!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info chaps, I don't want to rip lossless at the mo as I am syncing with an ipod nano.

Looks like I shall stick with the USB connection.

One further question, how would a lossless rip compare to the same CD in my Rega apollo?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
In theory, better. When you rip a CD, it will use error correction to create a good-as-possible file, but when a CD is read, it is in real-time, so it doesn't have chance to go and re-read any bad bits.

*EDIT*

Assuming you mean using the Rega as a transport, connected to the DACM. If you mean DACM vs Rega, then I'm not sure...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:In theory, better. When you rip a CD, it will use error correction to create a good-as-possible file, but when a CD is read, it is in real-time, so it doesn't have chance to go and re-read any bad bits.

*EDIT*

Assuming you mean using the Rega as a transport, connected to the DACM. If you mean DACM vs Rega, then I'm not sure...

I've not listened to the Rega in action but I'm assuming it's on a par with the CA 740C sort of level (£500ish cdp), so I would say that the DACM would be as good if not better with lossless files.

A

Anonymous

If you're using a Windows laptop w/ USB the chances are that it's being subjected to the Windows Kmixer, which resamples the audio.

A

Anonymous

Yes.

Best to get it out of the computer via a network and then feed that network player to the DAC via optical.

For example, Squeezebox.

A

Anonymous

Or Airport Express

Or Sonos

And use iPod Touch remote:

http://www.sonos.com/demo/iphone/demo.html

A

Anonymous

Gentlemen: Just received my DacMagic today (I'm in Seattle and nice Cambridge Audio dealer in San Fran hooked me up) and am using it to improve the sound of my music stored in Apple Lossless and some mp3 format, through my laptop iTunes, with music stored on an Apple Time Capsule.

I have an Airport Express connected directly to the DacMagic via a toslink-to-mini-stereo cable. The DAC is connected to my Cambridge Audio Azur 640a DMP/MP3 input.

In listening to lossless music files, the sound doesn't seem any better than it did without the DAC??!! Any suggestions? Thanks!

The rest of my system is as follows

Normal

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0pt;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
p
{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0pt;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0pt;
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-header-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0pt;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Integrated Amplifier

Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Player

Cambridge Audio Azur 340T Tuner

Cambridge Audio Azur 540P Phono Pre-Amplifier

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Digital to Audio Converter
(DAC)

Rega R3 Loudspeakers
Rega P3 Turntable

Apple Time Capsule 1 terabyte music server

Apple Airport Express wireless network

Thank you,

Brecken

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking that perhaps I need to tweak my iTunes settings? Thanks again for any help you all can provide.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
breckend:
Gentlemen: Just received my DacMagic today (I'm in Seattle and nice Cambridge Audio dealer in San Fran hooked me up) and am using it to improve the sound of my music stored in Apple Lossless and some mp3 format, through my laptop iTunes, with music stored on an Apple Time Capsule.

I have an Airport Express connected directly to the DacMagic via a toslink-to-mini-stereo cable. The DAC is connected to my Cambridge Audio Azur 640a DMP/MP3 input.

In listening to lossless music files, the sound doesn't seem any better than it did without the DAC??!! Any suggestions? Thanks!

The rest of my system is as follows

Normal

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0pt;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
p
{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0pt;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0pt;
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-header-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0pt;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Integrated Amplifier

Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Player

Cambridge Audio Azur 340T Tuner

Cambridge Audio Azur 540P Phono Pre-Amplifier

Cambridge Audio DacMagic Digital to Audio Converter
(DAC)

Rega R3 Loudspeakers
Rega P3 Turntable

Apple Time Capsule 1 terabyte music server

Apple Airport Express wireless network

Thank you,

Brecken

I don't use AE but the toslink to mini stereo connection sounds a problem. You need digital from AE to DAC and then analogue from DAC to amp - otherwise you will be missing out on the DAC. I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here but I can't see what else the problem can be. JD are you around - John uses the DM with AE.

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks man. I am now soliciting types/brands to connect the Airport with the DacMagic. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts