DAC for Marantz CD 5001.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I have been wanting to improve on the quality of sound of my separates which consists of marantz CD 5001/pm 6002/jamo standers. Though I hv been tempted to sell them off and buy new system in order to get better sound, just want to ask if a DAC will help it sing better. What difference can I expect and which ones should I consider. Thanks

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure that adding a DAC is the right move. I think the results would be different rather than notably better. I think you'll get a bigger upgrade through changing the speakers. Have a listen to the Q Acoustic 2050i (if you want a floorstander) or something like Tannoy's DC6 if a standmounter is acceptable.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions, in isolation it is really difficult to ascertain the jamo c405 's performance though good I did feel they felt a bit restrained in mid and sometimes in treble. Mine are rather anonymous speakers not generally seen or reviewed which limits my own judgement about them. Please tell me how good a compromise are MA BX2 compared to annoys you mention?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What speakers do actually have?

I would avoid cheap floorstanders.

Unless you have a large room I would avoid floorstanders.

Best to have some demos.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi BigH, speakers are jamo c 405 140w pc. They do bass really well but I hv been less than happy because the sound is harsh beyond the 9 o clock level. I hv not been able to identify if this is an amplifier s trait or the speakers limitation. In an attempt to make the sound little less harsh I hv stopped using the tone defeat switch rather I keep the bass at 0 treble at 9 o clock position with loudness pressed on. This way it's more bearable.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your system is unbalanced. I don't think using the loudness button and tone controls is really the answer, you should not need to use either. FRom what I have heard the Marantz 6002 is a bit underpowered, I don't know those speakers but they may need a more powerful amp. As for bass, yes floorstanders tend to give more.

What size is your room and how close to wall and corners are your speakers?

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the post, yes I agree that's not how it should be but this manipulation gives me a slightly more acceptable sound.I hv been told before that my room a 3 × 4.8 m room with ample furnishing may not be the ideal for floorstanders. Approximately distance from wall to the left speaker is 1.5 m.distance between the two speakers 90 cm. Wall to right speaker 25 cms. Distance from the wall approximately 30 cms. These back ported speakers somehow seem better sounding not very far away from the wall hence this placement. With a sensitivity of 90 db, speakers aren't too hard I think. I had demoed them with roksan Caspian amp which was very authoritative. Yes the 6002 with 45 watts pc don't move the speakers that we'll...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The room size seems OK but speakers are too close together at 90cm, I would rec. that they are about 2x distance and one is too close to a wall. I think it would be easier to change the speakers than find an amp to sort out your problem. I would look at some sensitive bookshelf ones.

TRENDING THREADS