Dac for creek destiny 2

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I have finally moved into my new house and was wanting a second system for my attic which is also my study.I decided to buy the creek destiny 2 as I like it a fair bit(good amp for the price) and it s almost got a tube likeness.speakers are the Anthony gallo strada side with the tr3sub. It s a small system, but ideal for my attic, where I can just escape the craziness of family life....source is my Mac mini computer where all cd s are ripped into iTunes via pure music.I am therefore looking to add a dac to go from either the USB or optical out of Mac mini. I am keen to hear any advice on dac that would complement the creek destiny. Sincerely yours John

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I would strongly recommend the Arcam rdac with an additional switching power supply from Maplins (about £35), which is way better than the wall-wart supplied. The USB input on the Arcam is very good indeed and the even tonal balance should suit the Creek amp.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
@Jerry Klinger:

I heard the Creek Destiny "1" amp (old stock), which they told me, sounds like the "2". Set was: Destiny CD-player and Tannoy CD6 speakers. It sounded wonderfully soft (not sharp or fatigueing to me) and rytmic (big plus) very good. For me it was the best solid state i heard so far. My Audio Innovations tube-amp (then) although sounded more defined in the midrange and soundstage, and even had the better "boogie" factor, made the Creek sound a bit dull in those aspects. The Creek had a very good bottom end.

On "Techradar" the Creek "2" and the Cayin tube-amp, which i have now, are considered each others substitutes somehow, but the Cayin is much better soundstaged than the "Audio Innovations", which leaves the Creek even more "boring" after a while.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jerry and the others,

Thanks for your advice on dacs.to be honest I did not even try or thought about the arcam rdac.will definitely try it and see what happens.when I first audiotioned the creek dealer was using a fairly exotic dac(can t remember which one) in the vicinity of £1500which is a tad over budget for me.m prepared to go up to £ 1000 but that s it..
Thanks again

Thumpa

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Rethep said:
@Jerry Klinger:

I heard the Creek Destiny "1" amp (old stock), which they told me, sounds like the "2". Set was: Destiny CD-player and Tannoy CD6 speakers. It sounded wonderfully soft (not sharp or fatigueing to me) and rytmic (big plus) very good. For me it was the best solid state i heard so far. My Audio Innovations tube-amp (then) although sounded more defined in the midrange and soundstage, and even had the better "boogie" factor, made the Creek sound a bit dull in those aspects. The Creek had a very good bottom end.

On "Techradar" the Creek "2" and the Cayin tube-amp, which i have now, are considered each others substitutes somehow, but the Cayin is much better soundstaged than the "Audio Innovations", which leaves the Creek even more "boring" after a while.

Hi Rethep

I'm primarily considering a Creek Destiny "1" integrated or the Cayin A88T, same price just for now, and you've confused me a tad.

You say the Destiny "1" is the best solid state you've heard ... end up saying its relatively "more 'boring' after a while". Cld you pls elaborate e.g. is this merely a comment on tube v solid state? (Resuming HiFi listening after, lets be kind and say 15 years, I was leaning to solid state for comfort, the known. Perhaps it's time...)

btw to go with Epos Epic 5, streamer and maybe Rega / Arcam DAC.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts