DAC better than STX

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have Asus Xonar Essence STX as PC sound source with changed opamps BB2111 and realy like the sound. Next as source is Marantz CD5001 and do have a cable tv Cisco HD receiver with some nice music channels. Amp is Marantz PM7001 KI with Monitor Audio RX2 and sw REL T2. Which DAC would give noticeably better sound using spdif from all sources? DAC could be even diy form, got an advice to try one CS4398 diy kit. Thanks in advance.

scorpionro

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I have the Essence ST in my PC and I would guess that the sound is quite similar. I found that using an external DAC ( Audio GD DAC19 DF ) was a significant step forward vs. the ST, but that DAC is way more expensive than what you were suggested. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the CS4398 kit and I would just save some money and get a good one.

PS: I greatly prefered the Audio GD DAC to Cambridge Audio DAC Magic and Firestone Spitfire, but that's just my personal opinion

gvlada

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for reply. I did listen DAC Magic (no plus) and wasn't impresionate at all, even think that opa changed STX sounded better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts