DAC + BD player = winner?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know there are a lot of talks round these shores about DACs.

I am still trying to decide what setup I want, stereo only or surround, and I'm leaning very much towards the stereo route atm.

I'm currently listening to my music through a CA A5 amp and my BD player (S350). The speakers are the MA Studio 10s.

I'm thinking going for a very decent but affordable amp (budget £300-500). Possibly adding a dedicated CD player as well.

OR... I could just add a DAC to the BD player... Is that route, DAC to BD, likely to satisfy my ears to the point of no regretting buying a "proper" CD player?

IF I was to buy a CD player, my budget would be again around £300-500.

At the moment everything sounds very bassey, even muffled at times. Any recommendations on the amp (and CD player) based on this?

The room is 3x7m, though the "music" area is only 3x4m, and I sit around 3-3.5m from the speakers. Taste-wise = very electic: from Miles Davis to Prokofiev to Radiohead or Metallica.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention that I'm tring to aim for improved sound when watching DVDs and BDs, as well as much better music enjoyment. Without going for a AV receiver + surround package (just yet).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
I know there are a lot of talks round these shores about DACs.

I am still trying to decide what setup I want, stereo only or surround, and I'm leaning very much towards the stereo route atm.

I'm currently listening to my music through a CA A5 amp and my BD player (S350). The speakers are the MA Studio 10s.

I'm thinking going for a very decent but affordable amp (budget £300-500). Possibly adding a dedicated CD player as well.

OR... I could just add a DAC to the BD player... Is that route, DAC to BD, likely to satisfy my ears to the point of no regretting buying a "proper" CD player?

IF I was to buy a CD player, my budget would be again around £300-500.

At the moment everything sounds very bassey, even muffled at times. Any recommendations on the amp (and CD player) based on this?

The room is 3x7m, though the "music" area is only 3x4m, and I sit around 3-3.5m from the speakers. Taste-wise = very electic: from Miles Davis to Prokofiev to Radiohead or Metallica.

Thanks

I might be able to help here. I have the Sony S550 and have it connected to the DacMagic. It sounds very good - that combo would easily match a £300-£500 cd player if you have a decent stereo amp. I also have my DAC connected to my pc through a media center extender. This sounds even better and I never now play cds. Are you planning on adding an AV receiver at some point? I would definitely get the DacMagic and then see how that sounds. I think your amp could be the weak link. If you could squeak your budget to £600, you could get my set up of CA 840A (original version selling at Richer Sounds for £399 - was £750) and DacMagic. You will be blown away by the difference. I love Radiohead too and they sound amazing on my system.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails, I think you've made my day!!!

Thanks very much!

emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:I might be able to help here. I have the Sony S550 and have it connected to the DacMagic. It sounds very good - that combo would easily match a £300-£500 cd player if you have a decent stereo amp. I also have my DAC connected to my pc through a media center extender. This sounds even better and I never now play cds. Are you planning on adding an AV receiver at some point? I would definitely get the DacMagic and then see how that sounds. I think your amp could be the weak link. If you could squeak your budget to £600, you could get my set up of CA 840A (original version selling at Richer Sounds for £399 - was £750) and DacMagic. You will be blown away by the difference. I love Radiohead too and they sound amazing on my system.

If the DACMagic works really well with my 350 and my speakers, then I'm unlikely to get an AV receiver for some time... although I'm not saying 'never' yet of course...
emotion-5.gif
emotion-4.gif

I forgot to add that I have on an external hard drive a few thousands of MP3 files at decent quality (320Kbps or lossless) which I would like to be able to listen to again. What cable would I be running from a laptop to the DAC box to connect it all up and get the best sound possible?

John Duncan

A DACMagic will take an optical out or USB from your laptop, or you could untether it by using a wireless client - airport express in my case, linksys media extender in gerrard's. It depends on what kind of lossless your files are?

A

Anonymous

My lossless files are Apple Lossless format.

I use iTunes as my library. My laptop isn't a Mac so can't use Airport Express, but I'll look into alternatives.

Thanks John.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:

I use iTunes as my library. My laptop isn't a Mac so can't use Airport Express, but I'll look into alternatives.

Thanks John.

I think you can still use Airport Express with windows.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:momo72:

Thanks John.

I think you can still use Airport Express with windows.You can, i use both mac and pc on it with out problem.

you only need Itunes installed to use it (or airfoil as a work round)

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:momo72:

Thanks John.

I think you can still use Airport Express with windows.

Yup

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:momo72:

Thanks John.

I think you can still use Airport Express with windows. Yup

Thanks for correcting my ignorance on Apple apps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts